Benchmade Mini Griptilian: A year of EDC

The reason i posted the picture was to show that i do in fact own and carry the knife. The reason i started this test was to see the durability of the mini griptilian over one year of use. i think you are getting way to wrapped up in the lock being the only part of the knife i am testing. Not at all, i started this test is to test every feature of this knife blade, handles, steel, and yes the lock. if all i wanted to do was test the lock i would have made this thread about carrying any axis lock knife for a year. my goal is to test a mini griptilian for a year. end of story.

I have already lost track to be totally honest. I have probably opened it about 100 times trying to get that axis lock broken in. It still has a little bit of stick

I'm no scientist so rough estimations work for me. When I carry a Benchmade its usually between 10 and 25 times a day plus or minus 50. :cool: Sometimes I find myself flicking it without even thinking.

I decided to do my first formal cut test with the Mini Griptilian today. I had 10 large sections of cardboard measuring 21in X 24in. the 154cm blade had a factory edge touched up with the fine and ultra fine stones on the sharpmaker. The knife would cleanly push cut and slice phone book paper at the start of the test.

I decided to make 25 cuts per piece of cardboard making a total of 250 cuts.

25 cut's: The knife was still razor sharp and would slice and push cut phone book paper. I could not notice a change in sharpness.

50 cut's: The knife started to develop a toothy edge. It would still slice and push cut phone book paper.

75 cut's: The knife developed a full toothy edge and needed to cut slowly to cut phone book paper.

100 cut's: The knife started to develop a few roles in the edge. It would barley cut phone book paper.

125 cut's: The knife would not cut phone book paper. It can cut notebook paper if you are careful.

150 cut's: The knife barley cuts notebook paper.

175 cut's: The knife will not cut notebook paper. It can barley cut computer paper

200 cut's: The knife starts to slow down cutting the cardboard. it will not cut computer paper.

225 cut's Still cuts cardboard clean but slow.

250 cut's: End of test. Still cuts cardboard clean.

As you can see the 154cm held up very well for a mid level steel. I am very happy with the performance of the mini griptilian. this blade is an awesome slicer for being such a small package. The Benchmade black coating also held up very well! i am very pleased with the results of this test.

i hope you all enjoyed the test!

Wow the black coating holds up really well!

Thanks for posting those results. Very interesting!

I'm interested to see how this goes too. I personally have carried just 1 knife everyday since July 2001. I just see no need to carry anything else but my 940SBK. It's been with me for so long, it's like a good friend that's always there and you can always count on.

I'm interested to see how this goes too. I personally have carried just 1 knife everyday since July 2001. I just see no need to carry anything else but my 940SBK. It's been with me for so long, it's like a good friend that's always there and you can always count on.

i would really like to see a pic of this knife. after 12 years of use it must have got some great character!

edit: i've just seen it on the "what are you carrying today" thread. awesome!

Subbed! Thanks for taking this task on...as someone who's brand new to knives and just purchased their first Benchmade, I'm really looking forward to seeing how this thread (and your opinion on the Mini Grip) develops over the next year. Keep it up! :eagerness:

A year from now we will see if this adventure actually lasted that long. As someone who can barely go a day or two with the same knife in my pocket, I could never do it. I admire you guys who can, though. There is some strange level of sanity found in not having to switch knives every 4 hours. :thumbup:

Or only carry one knife

This is the end of my first week with the mini grip. I am still liking it a lot. I love carrying a 3 inch knife. It is so much more handy than carrying a large 4 inch folder. The knife definitely had a good first week. I used it a lot and it is starting to show some wear.

Last edited:
It would be nice if you can post pic maybe once a week . Honestly I dont think I could carry one knife whole year , impossible for me :)

im going to be working tomorrow so i dont know if i will be able to post but i will try to get some update pictures soon.

What kind of cut test would you guys like to see next? I plan on posting some update pictures today or tomorrow.

I would like to see carpet cut tests like I did with my CPM-M4. Just to see the differences on the surface.

What kind of cut test would you guys like to see next? I plan on posting some update pictures today or tomorrow.

BTW, are you going to be sharpening this to any controlled angle and finish for the testing or just beating on the factory edge still? If you are resharpening how do you finish and do you know the angle? How do you gauge sharpness and how do you assure there is no burr?

Thanks,

Kevin

Back