Benchmade Proper vs. ZT 0230

So, I really want to grab one or the other as I want to start carrying a modern slip joint in my work khakis.

I'm a huge fan of carbon fiber but I think if I go with the Proper I might try the micarta scale version. I'd also get the sheepsfoot blade on the Proper.

For those who own or have tried both which do you prefer? No, both is not an option right now as I don't even know whether I can get used to not having my main EDC clipped to my pocket.

I don't own either, but like you, am "thinking" about getting a modernish slip-joint. The price difference between the CF/s90v and the micarta/s30v version is around a hundred bucks in CAD (monopoly money). It depends on how fancy one wants to be and spring for the pricier model. The ZT is around the same price as the CF Proper up here so if I had to pick, I would go for the traditional style of the back spring instead of a detent style.

I don't own either, but like you, am "thinking" about getting a modernish slip-joint. The price difference between the CF/s90v and the micarta/s30v version is around a hundred bucks in CAD (monopoly money). It depends on how fancy one wants to be and spring for the pricier model. The ZT is around the same price as the CF Proper up here so if I had to pick, I would go for the traditional style of the back spring instead of a detent style.

I'm hoping to have some time tonight to sit down and watch some Youtube reviews of each.

I owned the ZT, I've never handled the BM......the ZT is actually very small and thin which I think would fit better in the pocket over the BM.

I really loved that ZT but couldn't get past the "no clip" part.....

As cheaper option, the Victorinox Alox Solo is a great knife for around $35-$50.

good luck!

Lionsteel came out with a modern slip joint, I think it looks better than either.
Actually, I think you're right, even though it's a few dollars more than the standard Proper, but another choice for sure.

And if I'm not mistaken, has better spring action as well as half-stops.

What is the model name?

Since Mike (Knifeswapper at collectorknives) is a BF sponsor, I can mention this directly. I have a Lionsteel Shuffler and it is a great knife. Available with various handle materials and M390 blade. Or you can go the expensive route and get one of the damasteel versions. Mike lists the various Lionsteel slipjoints under CK01 and CK02. My Shuffler has just the right amount of spring tension, a very well ground blade, and great fit and finish.

Having said that, I am trying to find a way to scare up the cash to get the ZT 0230. It looks like a winner to me.

The bestMAN is their one that goes most head to head with the ZT and BM. It is fantastic. I have one, and also have the Benchmade. The lionsteel is a lot nicer from a fit and finish standpoint, as well as from a materials standpoint (Ti and M390 instead of steel and S30V). The BM came sharper though (if that matters to you).

ETA: I have no experience with the ZT (yet)

I got one of the Anso Monte Carlo customs for xmas (which is what the ZT is based on). It's far and away the finest modern slippy I could ever imagine. Not sure if this helps or not but based on my experience with the Monte Carlo I would go that route. The only thing is the custom Monte Carlo has a perfect clip on it and the ZT is clipless...

I have both the 0230 and the Proper. The double detent makes the ZT way nicer. Fit and finish is also perfect on the 0230. The Proper looks half finished, scales not fitting well at all. I do like the micarta scales on the Proper. Hopefully ZT will come out with a clip point soon

That Lionsteel BestMAN and Shuffler are gorgeous.

I like ZT and BM just fine and all, but Jeezus... I think I'd take either LS model first.

Thanks for all the input. I may be alone but don't really like the looks of the LS, but build quality looks great and steel is obviously good.

Think I found a Proper on the secondary market for a good price, so going to probably end up owning it first.

I like doing it that way as well... grab a deal on the secondary market and forge straight ahead.

Come back and give us your review.

The exploded view of the ZT 0230 provided by Knife Center is very cool and much appreciated. Thank you KC !

Thanks for all the input. I may be alone but don't really like the looks of the LS, but build quality looks great and steel is obviously good.

Think I found a Proper on the secondary market for a good price, so going to probably end up owning it first.

Used is the way to go. Or try a SAK first to see if you like it.

I've owned the Proper in micarta. It's a cool knife but it's not super thinly ground. The ZT doesn't interest me much as ZT just doesn't interest me much at all. I actually prefer a GEC to all the above mentioned. Something about them...

Back