Benchmade replacement springs?

Bryan J

Gold Member
Does anyone know who sells replacement springs for Benchmades? I seem to remember an online vendor who offered them, but I can't remember the name of the place...

To the best of my knowledge, Benchmade doesn't mail out replacement springs. You have to send your knife in.

I've had three Omega springs break, and have replaced all three with guitar string. So far they appear to work just as well as BM's stock springs, and I believe them to be made of a higher quality metal.

Disassembling your knife will void your warranty. Because I have taken my knives apart, if I send them back to BM they will charge me $20 for "reassembly".

It's up to you whether sending your knife in is worth the time and money.

Can't remeber the name but it was i'n a post last night or early this morn on I think i'n autos forum

To the best of my knowledge, Benchmade doesn't mail out replacement springs. You have to send your knife in.

I've had three Omega springs break, and have replaced all three with guitar string. So far they appear to work just as well as BM's stock springs, and I believe them to be made of a higher quality metal.

Disassembling your knife will void your warranty. Because I have taken my knives apart, if I send them back to BM they will charge me $20 for "reassembly".

It's up to you whether sending your knife in is worth the time and money.

That's correct, but I'm speaking about buying them from a third party. I'm pretty sure I've seen companies that offer the springs.

Really? Even if you put it back together properly? How would they even know?

No, they charge you if you mess up at putting it together (wrong way, you're not able to, ...) And if you broke something while messing up disassembly and reassembly they'll charge you for this stuff, too.

It's no problem to take your knife apart IF you're able to put it back together. And they dont mind you using custom scales either.

@ Bryan: One of my omega springs broke too and I just bought some ''spring steel wire'' (diameter of 1mm) for like.. 2.5 EUR incl. shipping and used that... It's been working great for.. 4-6 months. It doesn't look perfect but works just as good as any of my other omega springs.

No, they charge you if you mess up at putting it together (wrong way, you're not able to, ...) And if you broke something while messing up disassembly and reassembly they'll charge you for this stuff, too.

It's no problem to take your knife apart IF you're able to put it back together. And they dont mind you using custom scales either.

@ Bryan: One of my omega springs broke too and I just bought some ''spring steel wire'' (diameter of 1mm) for like.. 2.5 EUR incl. shipping and used that... It's been working great for.. 4-6 months. It doesn't look perfect but works just as good as any of my other omega springs.

I'm not looking for an Omega spring; I'm looking for one of the coiled springs they use in their assisted openers. It's a fairly specialized spring.

knifekits.com sells springs. You need to know the inner diameter of the coil and you can get them in different strengths

These are for autos, but I am not sure about the kind that are used in assisted openers.

knifekits.com sells springs. You need to know the inner diameter of the coil and you can get them in different strengths

These are for autos, but I am not sure about the kind that are used in assisted openers.

I checked knifekits.com earlier in the day. The assisted springs are designed a little differently than the ones for autos. I may try to modify one of the auto springs if I'm unsuccessful in finding the right one. I'm not sure how difficult it would be, but it would definitely involve bending one of the end arms 90 degrees. Might be a fun project (or not...haha).

Really? Even if you put it back together properly? How would they even know?

They'd never notice. At least, they didn't with me. :p

I would assume they would notice because you strip out a little bit of the paint on the inside of the screw heads. But, then, I'm also not sure that they care all that much to look too hard :)

Good to know Dorito Monk, so I might not have to worry too much about that in the future.

Didn't think of the paint on the screws... It looks like they're more interested in protecting themselves from having to pay for someone's clumsy mistakes than trapping their customers, though. Thanks for sharing your experience, Dorito Monk.

I just hope no-one goes and gets their warranty voided on account of me sharing my experiences...just because they didn't notice me doing it doesn't mean they won't notice anyone else doing it...

Those folks at benchmade's warranty dept. might be deceptively crafty buggers, you never know... ;)

Speaking of springs, i was wondering if the springs used by Hogue (made by Wolff) will work on Benchmade axis locks? they are supposed to be better....

Back