Benchmade Replacing Blades

I have heard that if you send in a griptilian or another benchmade knife that benchmade will replace the current blade on it for a fee. Is this true? Also I was wondering if they did this for griptilian do with d2 or s30v steel or any other steels that they have made. If so does it cost more for the other steels?

I know of someone who had a blade replaced on a 940 in S30V, and he said it was like $30. $25 for the blade plus $5 shipping.

I know of someone who had a blade replaced on a 940 in S30V, and he said it was like $30. $25 for the blade plus $5 shipping.

This sounds more acccurate. I think it's $35 for a BK coated or like blade.

They don't charge for return shipping. It's $25 for a satin blade and $35 for coated, as indicated on the warranty form.

There is no $20 fee just for them to take the knife apart. That is for the people who bite off more than they can chew when tinkering with a knife and send benchmade a bag of parts to reassemble.

As to the original question, I know if you have an old version of a knife that is currently produced with a different steel, you can have benchmade replace the blade with whatever steel is standard for the model now. I'm fairly certain they don't let you choose whatever steel you'd like. If that were the case we'd see a lot more M4 griptilians around. :)

Last edited:
I have heard that if you send in a griptilian or another benchmade knife that benchmade will replace the current blade on it for a fee. Is this true? Also I was wondering if they did this for griptilian do with d2 or s30v steel or any other steels that they have made. If so does it cost more for the other steels?

We do replace blades. $25 for non-coated blades and $35 for coated. As for the re-assembly fee it's only applicable if the knife is sent in broken down to component pieces.

Question - I assume that the original blade is not returned? Second question - if the original knife was, say, a CE blade, is a re-blade with a PE possible?

We do replace blades. $25 for non-coated blades and $35 for coated. As for the re-assembly fee it's only applicable if the knife is sent in broken down to component pieces.

So the fee isn't any higher if the blades are of a steel different than 154cm, correct? And also you change the blade from a coated blade that you send in to a non coated blade?

Last edited:
So the fee isn't any higher if the blades are of a steel different than 154cm, correct? And also you change the blade from a coated blade that you send in to a non coated blade?

From what I understand (tho I may be wrong) the only blade steel they offer replacement blades in is the base steel, so if you send in a D2 mini-grip for a blade swap its coming back in 154CM, again I could be wrong. You definitely can not choose an upgrade, even if they will do upgraded blade steels on knives that originally have upgraded blades requesting an upgrade in not an option. (Note if the knife you send in has a blade steel no longer in production it will be upgraded to the current steel).

Question - I assume that the original blade is not returned? Second question - if the original knife was, say, a CE blade, is a re-blade with a PE possible?

Yes you can do that, in fact if you find a good deal on a knife you want in CE you can deliberate break the blade and send it in for a replacement PE for $25/30.

Yes you can do that, in fact if you find a good deal on a knife you want in CE you can deliberate break the blade and send it in for a replacement PE for $25/30.

No need to break the blade. Pay the fee and they'll replace even a brand new blade. The original is not returned though.

I grabbed a CE Alias for a good price and had a PE blade put on this way. Wish I kept that one...

What about discontinued models... id like a new blade for my 9100, and my 426.

From my experience with them, no, you don't get the old blade back, and you can switch from partially serrated to plain edge or vice versa provided it is in stock. I don't think they will switch blade steels for you but I could be wrong.

I called yesterday to ask about switching blade steel in an older Griptilian H2O and was politely informed that it is not an option. However, the CS Rep said that it is possible to go from PE to CE. I think that's the route I'm going. The older French H2O steel doesn't hold on to an edge very long and it's my yard work knife; looking forward to trying out my first CE as a working cutter.

$25 (non-coated). Works for me. :thumbup:

That's strange - I would have expected them to replace it with 154CM since that's the current standard griptilian blade material. That is the only choice they gave me when I sent in a CE D2 blade that I wanted a PE in.

I called yesterday to ask about switching blade steel in an older Griptilian H2O and was politely informed that it is not an option. However, the CS Rep said that it is possible to go from PE to CE. I think that's the route I'm going. The older French H2O steel doesn't hold on to an edge very long and it's my yard work knife; looking forward to trying out my first CE as a working cutter.

$25 (non-coated). Works for me. :thumbup:

That's strange - I would have expected them to replace it with 154CM since that's the current standard griptilian blade material. That is the only choice they gave me when I sent in a CE D2 blade that I wanted a PE in.

Yeah, my hope was to get 154 but I guess the water resistant line gets replaced with water resistant line steel. It's fine with me, as I will be able to switch to combo edge. How cool is it that this is even an option? :)

The price is determined by the blade you want put on your knife. Coated blades are $35. Satin blades are $25. If you have coated and want a satin, it will cost $25. A satin finish 940 blade in s30v will cost $25. A D2 blade on a 275 will cost $35 (wish they offered a satin finish...). A satin M390 blade on a 581 will cost $25.

From what I understand (tho I may be wrong) the only blade steel they offer replacement blades in is the base steel, so if you send in a D2 mini-grip for a blade swap its coming back in 154CM, again I could be wrong. You definitely can not choose an upgrade, even if they will do upgraded blade steels on knives that originally have upgraded blades requesting an upgrade in not an option. (Note if the knife you send in has a blade steel no longer in production it will be upgraded to the current steel).
Cabela's Griptilians come stock with a D2 blade, and would be replaced with a D2 blade. A standard Grip with a 154CM or older 440C blade will get 154CM.

You don't have to break the blade. Just send it in with a check and get a PE blade.

What about discontinued models... id like a new blade for my 9100, and my 426.
IF they have spare blades in stock, they will replace it. I have a 812S-LH that used to be a 812sbt-LH. This knife hasn't been made since 2001. I called a couple years ago about a swap, and I managed to get the very last left-handed mini-AFCK blade they had. Now, if it breaks, I'm out of luck.

I didn't make an issue of it - I was more interested in replacing the coated/serrated blade with an uncoated/plain edge blade. Yes, I would've rather gotten D2, but 154cm isn't bad.

This thread has brought me hope of saving a favorite knife.

I was a fool and used it for everything at work.
Cutting cardboard...Straps..Plastic and kevlar

Lesson learned..
Use a Box knife with replaceable blades for cardboard and shipping straps.

It left this morning back to Benchmade for a new blade.
This time Satin and plain edge.
When it returns. A standard EDC it will be.
Cutting food ,opening a letter, cutting the tape on a box or if needed a selfdefense tool.

Let my shame be a learning lesson for you.
and yes..This is what happens when you wear out serrations.

Ill post pics of it when it comes back.

Back