Benchmade Replacing Blades

April 7th...called again.

Went through the spiel of what I wanted.
Satin, Plain edge followed with.

how I wanted to pay for it.:confused:

I said there was a Postal Money Order with it.

The recipt is in my hand.

they are NOW working on it.

So much for 15 to 18 buisness days I was told.
Its been in their hands since the 3rd of March.

I really hope it comes back in AMAZINE condition

Pics will be posted of the after.

Benchmade is very good with customer service...they are, however, almost always busy because of their popularity and so sometimes turnaround can take a while. Don't worry, as they will take good care of you and they'll make sure you are satisfied with their service. As a general rule, they do not offer replacement blades in different steels from the knife's original steel (unless it is not available). Blade replacement prices are very reasonable...IIRC usually $25-40 depending on model, steel, and finish...and is especially reasonable given their Blue and Black class knives use premium steels.

As for coatings, any coated blade is going to wear, and by nature it will show more than non-coated due to the color contrast of the steel versus the coating. Abrasive materials will accelerate wear. Something like cardboard is quite abrasive and it will wear virtually all coatings pretty fast, unless you are talking about something like say boron nitride, which probably has not been used on many knives due to the difficulties in doing so and price.

Benchmade's BP1 coating is pretty scratch resistant (and gorgeous.) But their real star in terms of the performance are their Cerakote coatings, as they are of notable toughness, stupid hard, and are very abrasion-resistant (and acid-resistant) thanks to the coating being a ceramic that is literally 'baked' into the blade. They generally pair this with more rust-prone steel like M4, as it gives substantial protection on the hard-use knives M4 often is used on (Contego, Griptilian, 710, etc.) But one of the simplest coatings...stonewashed (or tumbled...very similar) is IMO the finish of lowest upkeep. For cutting a lot of cardboard, a satin (preferably stonewashed) finish or the Cerakote finish may be desirable over other coatings?

April 7th...called again.

Went through the spiel of what I wanted.
Satin, Plain edge followed with.

how I wanted to pay for it.:confused:

I said there was a Postal Money Order with it.

The recipt is in my hand.

they are NOW working on it.

So much for 15 to 18 buisness days I was told.
Its been in their hands since the 3rd of March.

I really hope it comes back in AMAZINE condition

Pics will be posted of the after.

That is annoying. Did they verify that they had your payment?

Follow up.

The money issue was clarified.
Money orders/ checks are taken out when they arrive.
Slow can computer was the reason it did not show
when I called.

And it shipped today. Hope it makes it back to me.

Here are before shot of my 740 Dejavoo.

Ill post pics of it when it comes back.

Here it is.

I am a satisfied customer.
They brought back a knife I loved from the dead.
Satin finish, plaine edge LUM logos.

So sharp it can split a hair.
Pic Looks like its real toothy but its not.
Just a normal factory grind.
Flips smooth..No blade play.

The extra than expected wait was worth it.

Thank you Benchmade

740left_zps3cde820f.jpg

740leftclos_zps7d1c59db.jpg

740rightclose_zps84233410.jpg

Last edited:
Here it is.

Thank you Benchmade

Glad to see they fixed it!

Also, now that you have the satin, cardboard/abrasive material markings will be dramatically less noticeable, and you will be able to buff scratches yourself with a polish designed for brushed metal such as Prism Polish or one of the silicone blocks.

Glad to see they fixed it!

Also, now that you have the satin, cardboard/abrasive material markings will be dramatically less noticeable, and you will be able to buff scratches yourself with a polish designed for brushed metal such as Prism Polish or one of the silicone blocks.

Thats why I went with satin plain edge.
Wish I did the first time.

scratches buff out.. no teeth to wear out

I letting my Nephew EDC it for awhile.
He fell for it hard.

great steel smooth opening

If I send in a Mini Grip with 440C straight edge, for a blade replacement, will I get the same in return?

If I send in a Mini Grip with 440C straight edge, for a blade replacement, will I get the same in return?

Nope. Standard MG current production is 154. Your 440C is an early model, and has been out of production for quite some time.
Unless by some odd chance they have some MG 440C blades floating around.

Here it is.

Thank you Benchmade

740left_zps3cde820f.jpg

740leftclos_zps7d1c59db.jpg

740rightclose_zps84233410.jpg

That looks outstanding. You would never know it is the same knife...

Nope. Standard MG current production is 154. Your 440C is an early model, and has been out of production for quite some time.

It will definitely get a 154CM blade. Did this a few years ago with a mini-Grip expecting a 440C blade and was pleasantly surprised. I suppose if you request a 440C blade...

It will definitely get a 154CM blade. Did this a few years ago with a mini-Grip expecting a 440C blade and was pleasantly surprised. I suppose if you request a 440C blade...

Thanks.

I agree it is unlikely as they went to 154 what seems like years and years ago. They may have some old stock, but given the Grip's popularity it seems unlikely. If you want to keep the 440, resharpening/tuning/polishing/etc. the blade that may be the only option short of buying a 440C Grip elsewhere. Benchmade's 440C is a really nice 440.

With that said, 154CM is an improvement over 440C and an excellent all-around steel. Most notably, it makes a noticeable increase in edge retention from my experience with a 440 and a 154 Mini Grip I have.

Thanks guys. Not sure what I'm going to do. I have a huge nick in the blade and I really don't have the tools to fix it.

You could always email BKC and see if they have 440C blades around.

Or send it in for sharpening. They don't replace every blade that comes in. Odds are they'll grind the nick out

Back