Benchmade Scales solution??

Just got my first Griptillian and yes I know it’s common knowledge that the scales are cheap feeling and there are lots of aftermarket scales out there. Looking at pictures of the scales removed they are very hollowed out which gives it that empty plastic feel. I was wondering if anyone had tried filling the scales with an epoxy or something to give them more of a rigid feel? Is this a stupid idea? I will attempt to make my own scales at some point but may try this in the interim.

Also on a different note I find the action very stiff even after a week or so of constant flicking and a few drops of gun oil.. is this normal?

I suppose you could fill the scales with epoxy for more rigidity but personally, i went the aftermarket route and sold the factory scales and as far as the action, it should break in and be really smooth but if its not getting smoother i would take it apart, clean, lube and tighten the pivot to your preference.

Last edited:
I have heard of people filling the scales, but I don't see the point. The thing is just fine the way it is and when you get your new scales put them on. Also all BMs that come into canada have the pivots tightened down so you may want to loosen it a little.

I always seem to bypass the Grip and don't carry my 556 all that much but I may go for the 551-1 version at some point.

I have heard of people filling the scales, but I don't see the point. The thing is just fine the way it is and when you get your new scales put them on.

I think filling the scales would get rid of the thinn cheap plastic feel. I won’t fill them all the way but try just a little and see how it is. Not buying new scales although I may try making some out of G10

Back