Benchmade vs Spyderco, BM is the better value!

Don't forget the H&K Benchmade knives. The Axis Folder is a heck of a knife that can be found regularly for just a little over $80. This will put it in the Manix LW, Endura and Delica price range when Spyderco MAP drops.

That being said, Benchmade and Spyderco are so different from each other. I'm glad we have knives from both companies.

Both companies are glad I have a loose wallet, lol.

Since Spyderco announced MAP enforcement, we're all waiting to see how much it will affect retail prices.

Even without Spyderco's upcoming MAP enforcement, I've felt for years that it's prices have gone through the roof and is becoming very unaffordable.

Spyderco fans always points out that Endura and Delica are available at $60 while Griptilians cost $80, and the fact that Manix 2 with S30v can be had around $90. Sure BM lack lower end offerings to compete with these lower end Spydercos.

Now let's take a look at the higher end offerings, when comparing the new CPM-20v Griptilians with G-10 at $180, or the Barrage, 710 or 810 in M390 to similarly and MUCH HIGHER priced Spydercos from $180 to $250 with Vg10 or S30V, the previous value proposition of Spyderco does not stand.

So in comparison, isn't these above mentioned BMs a better value than Spyderco?

Your figures and logic is off here. And as has been mentioned BM is raising prices.

20CV Grip would be directly competing with the PM2 in S110V or Manix 2 in S110V both of which are around $30 less. Drop down the the Ritter Grip to forego the G10 scales and you're up against the Manix 2 Lightweight in S110V, the Native 5 Lightweight in S110V and even the Gayle Bradley 2 in CPM-M4. I dig Benchmade, but even after Spyderco switches to MAP I think the value proposition leans much farther towards Colorado than Oregon.

This is a more accurate depiction. When I think of value BM is last in line of the major companies. A BM would have to be pretty special for me to drop all the money they are demanding on one.

I would like to see more value knives, ($50-$80) from Spyderco, and Benchmade. 154cm, VG-10, and S30v steels are MORE than adequate. I also want to see more colored G-10/FRN handles. I care more about rust/stain resistance than just about any other metal characteristic. I am almost over black handle scales too. I am done paying $100+ for pocketknives. It just doesn't make sense for me anymore.

Last edited:
Not comparing with spyderco, just objectively, Benchmade doesn't do it for me. Most of their designs in the last 3 years have mostly left me asking "why". Most I have bought new, which isn't all that many maybe like 10, have come with functional blemishes like uneven grinds or less than solid lock up. I find their pricing strategy to be less than attractive, and think they rest on the (much larger than knife enthusiasts like those who post here) group of people who don't do much research and see Benchmade as the best of American knives.

There are some Benchmades if love to have. Ruckus, Vicar (only after holding it in person), Nimravus, and some others, but I never seem to find them at a price that makes sense to me.

When this discussion takes place people always fail to mention that Benchmade offers services that Spyderco does not.

Benchmade will send you a new pocket clip for free. When asking about a new Spyderco pocket clip; I was told it would be this price plus shipping.
Benchmade offers blade replacement. If you break your knife blade BM will replace it for 30 bucks.
Benchmade will fix your knife if something goes wrong and if they don't have the part they give you a new knife (i've heard mixed stories about Spyderco).

So while BM may be higher on some models I believe the service you get after purchase is truly better. Spyderco's isn't bad but due to their CQI philosophy they don't always have the parts available to fix a knife.

We know what Spydercos pricing will be next year just look at the 2016 catalog and knock 40% off MSRP and boom you have MAP, I personally do not see Benchmade going more than an 3-5% price increase as they tend to do this regularly. Keep in mind the only reason Spyderco is instituting this policy is because sellers on certain sites were selling Spyderco knives for just a few dollars more than cost, this coupled with no sales tax and free shipping made regular dealers competing basically impossible. I personally have always felt Spyderco has offered the best bang for the buck in the knife world. I prefer the exotic blade steels and the ergonomics of Spyderco over Benchmades policy of "oh look another AXIS lock!!!"

When this discussion takes place people always fail to mention that Benchmade offers services that Spyderco does not.

Benchmade will send you a new pocket clip for free. When asking about a new Spyderco pocket clip; I was told it would be this price plus shipping.
Benchmade offers blade replacement. If you break your knife blade BM will replace it for 30 bucks.
Benchmade will fix your knife if something goes wrong and if they don't have the part they give you a new knife (i've heard mixed stories about Spyderco).

So while BM may be higher on some models I believe the service you get after purchase is truly better. Spyderco's isn't bad but due to their CQI philosophy they don't always have the parts available to fix a knife.

Spyderco sent me a clip for my Massad Ayoob for free.

Benchmade isn't the better value for me, because there are pretty much no Benchmades that appeal to me at all, whereas there are countless Spydercos that appeal to me greatly. I find Benchmades designs to be utterly boring.

I've been impressed with both Spyderco's and Benchmade's warranty service, but Benchmade does offer more service. KAI still is tops, imo, though.

Not comparing with spyderco, just objectively, Benchmade doesn't do it for me. Most of their designs in the last 3 years have mostly left me asking "why". Most I have bought new, which isn't all that many maybe like 10, have come with functional blemishes like uneven grinds or less than solid lock up. I find their pricing strategy to be less than attractive, and think they rest on the (much larger than knife enthusiasts like those who post here) group of people who don't do much research and see Benchmade as the best of American knives.

There are some Benchmades if love to have. Ruckus, Vicar (only after holding it in person), Nimravus, and some others, but I never seem to find them at a price that makes sense to me.

I've never had a Benchmade that came with a decent edge. The last Benchmade I purchased was a Valet, and it came with a ridiculously obtuse (and pretty uneven) bevel. Trying to reprofile that M390 steel was such a thankless experience.

Additionally, there isn't a single Benchmade I can think of (aside from the 940) that I'd consider a truly "great" design.

Don't forget the H&K Benchmade knives. The Axis Folder is a heck of a knife that can be found regularly for just a little over $80. This will put it in the Manix LW, Endura and Delica price range when Spyderco MAP drops.

That being said, Benchmade and Spyderco are so different from each other. I'm glad we have knives from both companies.

Both companies are glad I have a loose wallet, lol.

Poor Benchmade can't even get their HK "value" line right. On the other hand; Spyderco's Byrd, and Tenacious line get it right, and then some. Last month I purchased a G-10 Cara Cara, and a Tenacious in brown G-10 for just under $70. Their level of quality for the price is pretty amazing.

Last edited:
Is BM planning on raising prices or you think the new models might cost more? I saw some pre-orders on a center that sell knives and it didn't look too bad.

In case you've missed it by chance, every company is raising prices almost unilaterally across the board. Benchmade included. As far as value goes, it depends how you define it. Everyone has a different expectation and the answer to your question will vary with every single person you ask. Best to do a little research before throwing out blanket statements with nothing to back up your position.

Last edited:
Benchmade isn't the better value for me, because there are pretty much no Benchmades that appeal to me at all, whereas there are countless Spydercos that appeal to me greatly. I find Benchmades designs to be utterly boring.
We have a Mom and Pop that sells Benchmades. I have fondled a bunch, and I really love them, especially their aesthetics. The prices are another story. I think Benchmades are just as good in their own unique way.

I have many Spydercos, Benchmades, and other brands/models. For me, I like the variety of knife choices out there. Yes, I have ones that I prefer over others, but I notice over time my preference changes and I'll edc something I didn't anticipate. As far as the MAP goes, there's nothing you can do about it except boycott. I choose to not have it affect my hobby.

What better place to discuss? But something tells me you win.

Sorry don't quite understand the question. The thread was originally posted in a manufacturers forum, totally fine if discussing just that particular brand. I moved it to general discussion where brands can be freely compared.

If price is your only criteria then buy the bottom feeder stuff. You can buy a hundred jar-benzas for the price of a quality, US made knife.

You can have pretty strict criteria and still be quite happy with a number of foreign produced knives. If you want to buy USA made, more power to you, but to pretend jarbenzas are the only thing coming from China right now is simply delusional.

I guess I'm thick or slow... or both? I don't get it...?

More like Muhammad Ali vs. Anti-lock Brakes.

I like both brands, but I own ten Spydercos and three Benchmades (one of which is actually a Lone Wolf by BM), so I guess that says something about my preference.

Last edited:
You can have pretty strict criteria and still be quite happy with a number of foreign produced knives. If you want to buy USA made, more power to you, but to pretend jarbenzas are the only thing coming from China right now is simply delusional.

I did not say or "pretend" jarbenzas are the only thing coming from China right now. Doesn't mean I'm not at least a little delusional, however! :p

Back