Benchmade vs Spyderco, BM is the better value!

I love my Griptillain but I do not think its a better knife than a $60 Endura. I paid $90 for my Griptillian.

I am curious to see what Spyderco does to their prices. I was planning to pick up a Police 3 soon, looks like I better not waste anymore time.

It is my opinion that Spyderco beats Benchmade on innovation, materials, design, fit and finish and value, though I think both companies fail to provide a good value with their higher-priced offerings. Their lower-priced stuff has Spyderco beating Benchmade every time, as far as I'm concerned. The Griptilian is an alright value (much worse now that many companies are offering steels like CTS-XHP and S35VN at comparable or lower prices), but that's really the only player Benchmade has in that ball park. For less than the price I paid for my S30V Griptilian, I could have gotten another PM2 or a DLC-coated Manix 2 XL with a G-10 handle instead of this Noryl GTX (which I don't mind but many others seem to hate). Objectively better knives in my book.

The only thing Benchmade has over Spyderco is the Axis lock, and Spyderco has plenty of other locks that are just as good if not better.

Spyderco might be introducing MAP pricing, but Benchmade's already got it and their prices are going up (as if they weren't way overpriced for what you get already!). This means I'm done with Benchmade, as I'm attracted to knives which give the consumer their money's worth. My gut tells me that many other knife enthusiasts have similar feelings on the matter, and I won't be surprised if Benchmade goes under in the next decade or so.

Last edited:
I have a strong preference for Spyderco over Benchmade. There is no Benchmade that I am itching to own, outside of their Balis.

It is my opinion that Spyderco beats Benchmade on innovation, materials, design, fit and finish and value, though I think both companies fail to provide a good value with their higher-priced offerings. Their lower-priced stuff has Spyderco beating Benchmade every time, as far as I'm concerned. The Griptilian is an alright value (much worse now that many companies are offering steels like CTS-XHP and S35VN at comparable or lower prices), but that's really the only player Benchmade has in that ball park. For less than the price I paid for my S30V Griptilian, I could have gotten another PM2 or a DLC-coated Manix 2 XL with a G-10 handle instead of this Noryl GTX (which I don't mind but many others seem to hate). Objectively better knives in my book.

The only thing Benchmade has over Spyderco is the Axis lock, and Spyderco has plenty of other locks that are just as good if not better.

Spyderco might be introducing MAP pricing, but Benchmade's already got it and their prices are going up (as if they weren't way overpriced for what you get already!). This means I'm done with Benchmade, as I'm attracted to knives which give the consumer their money's worth. My gut tells me that many other knife enthusiasts have similar feelings on the matter, and I won't be surprised if Benchmade goes under in the next decade or so.
The Axis has too much blade play for my taste. I prefer Spyderco's back locks, esp the Power Lock. I wish more of their knives had it-If they rolled it into the Police, (maybe calling it the Police IV) then MAP or no MAP, I'd be all over it.

The Axis has too much blade play for my taste. I prefer Spyderco's back locks, esp the Power Lock. I wish more of their knives had it-If they rolled it into the Police, (maybe calling it the Police IV) then MAP or no MAP, I'd be all over it.

I'd like to see the Power Lock on the Police (or a similar, perhaps new knife), too, as the Tatanka doesn't really pique my interest. I agree with you about the Axis lock's blade play, and this is another reason I feel Benchmades are a low value in general. I have no play on my Endura or my PM2, both of which cost less than my Griptilian. My Endura was a sprint run with arguably better steel and the PM2 is, well...the PM2. I just don't see myself buying more Benchmades in the future because of the value. Maybe I'll buy a 530, but that's about it.

Benchmade has always charged a surplus on their knives. I feel like I'm paying more for their brand name whilst all my Spydercos with similar steels and place of creation remain relatively the same at a lower price. Don't get me wrong I like Benchmade, but in no way are they more "better valued" in my humble opinion. But, that is subjective to belief is subjective depending on who you talk to.

No blade play on my current 940-1 or my previous Adamas and Griptilian. You guys say you always have Axis lock blade play? That's weird.

I'm actually a bigger Spyderco fan than Benchmade so this is not me trying to pick a fight, just don't understand where you're coming from that's all.

No blade play on my current 940-1 or my previous Adamas and Griptilian. You guys say you always have Axis lock blade play? That's weird.

I'm actually a bigger Spyderco fan than Benchmade so this is not me trying to pick a fight, just don't understand where you're coming from that's all.

My only Benchmade is my custom Griptilian. When I received it, there was so much play that I didn't want to carry the knife for fear that something might come loose. The gas station grenade knife I was gifted has less play than my Griptilian did. I sent my Griptilian to Benchmade for repair. Kudos to their customer service department, by the way - for all I have to say about their pricing, Benchmade does take care of their customers, and I happily give credit where credit is due. When I got my Griptilian back, there was much less play, but it's still there. I still carry and love my Griptilian; it's a great knife, I carry it often, and I know Benchmade will be there to take care of my needs when I need some customer service.

The play is still there, though. Just saying.

Ok, I believe you. Guess I just haven't experienced it before. You'd think one of the custom Griptilians would be tuned up nicely though...that's odd. Glad to hear their CS is so good but too bad you had to find that out.

Axis lock can develop blade play if you loosened the pivot to get the free falling blade effect everyone loves to see. As soon as you tighten the pivot all blade play is gone.Benchmade does charge a premium for their products, but their customer service is stateside, you get free pocket clips and sharpening services like ZT. Spyderco charges for clips and while they do offer sharpening services stateside, they do not offer a replacement blades like Benchmade and ZT do. Just being able to go online anytime or calling Benchmade directly and telling them I need XX amount of clips for XXX model knife(s) and they ship it to you FREE of charge is IMO worth paying the extra for a product.

Ok, I believe you. Guess I just haven't experienced it before. You'd think one of the custom Griptilians would be tuned up nicely though...that's odd. Glad to hear their CS is so good but too bad you had to find that out.

It's alright, I'm not too bothered by it; from what I've heard, this lock is prone to blade play (developing it if not coming with it initially), and play itself is a very, very common thing in folders. To be fair, my Ti Military (which I bought used off a popular auction site) has significant play in all directions, and my Tenacious has some side to side play as well. Will I get my Military sent in to Spyderco? Perhaps eventually. For now, I'm not supremely bothered by it, as performance has not yet been affected.

Also, stkh22 has a good point about Benchmade; they just do that for you. :thumbup:

Yeah, I think us knife nerds put a little too much stock in blade play. (and centering for that matter) However when you start spending the big bucks I really don't think it's too much to ask for...right?

I don't really need anything from either at this point. Tastes change.

Yeah, I think us knife nerds put a little too much stock in blade play. (and centering for that matter) However when you start spending the big bucks I really don't think it's too much to ask for...right?

I agree on both statements. Blade play and centering are not noticed by the general non-knife-enthusiast public, but I think that at the price point they're something that should be taken care of, just like all other fit and finish concerns.

I like some form each, but like more models that Spyderco has put out.
Price has been worth it on the ones I bought; the ones I didn't think were worth it, I didn't buy. :)

I will throw some criticism at Benchmade's warranty, in comparison to that of Spyderco: Benchmade states that they will not warranty a knife that has been acquired from a source other than an authorized dealer. Spyderco, by contrast, doesn't care where you got your knife so long as it's genuine. Benchmade's LifeSharp service may be free, but even if you pay them, they won't sharpen serrations. Spyderco will also sharpen your knife for free, and though they do ask $5 US for return shipping, they will sharpen SpyderEdges.

While I'm a fan of Benchmade's serrations (I used to own an Ally, loved it, gifted it), I'm glad my Griptilian is plain edge. While I don't plan on buying any more Benchmade products in the forseeable future, I do plan on buying several more Spydercos, and some of them will be fully or partially serrated.

Undoubtedly and personally, Benchmade customer service has been superior to Spyderco's. Compared to Benchmade and KAI (Kershaw/Shun/Zero Tolerance) I can readily say that Spyderco is WAY in third place.

Undoubtedly and personally, Benchmade customer service has been superior to Spyderco's. Compared to Benchmade and KAI (Kershaw/Shun/Zero Tolerance) I can readily say that Spyderco is WAY in third place.

Provided you got your Benchmade from an authorized dealer, and provided that you don't need serrations sharpened.

Benchmade QC is isolated to the U.S. factory and it had vacillated quite a bit. My originals from 2005 to 2008 were fantastic! Then, I was away from purchasing knives for a while. I restarted in 2012 but not my next Benchmade until early 2013. I've had multiple issues in 2014. A 940-1 had to go back but never sent back my 710-1401 or 820-1401. Seems like QC has improved quite a bit lately. Work in progress.

Back