Benchmade vs Spyderco, BM is the better value!

Provided you got your Benchmade from an authorized dealer, and provided that you don't need serrations sharpened.

I've never been questioned about authorized dealers but then again I've always bought from authorized dealers.

I've never specifically asked for sharpening of serrations but when I sent in a 707 with serrations due to the pivot screw falling out and requested sharpening it all came back nicely sharpened. This was an original August 2005 purchase sent back in 2013.

Benchmade doesn't ask where the knife came from. Your also not suppose to take your knife apart (iirc) but a lot of us send knives in with custom scales and they don't bat an eyelash..

I don't like getting involved in these threads because the two companies are vastly different (IMO).. and both have their pros and cons..

Happy new year everyone

Both CS have served me well. Both time I used BM's to ask for pocket clips they asked me where I got the knife for their records. Didn't mind I got one second hand.

I find it ironic that both brands are known for blade play in their locks yet the models I have of both companies are rock solid. I did own some Delicas in the past that had back lock play from the get go.

When it comes to high end knives there is no better value in the knife world then the Paramilitary 2.

Beginning to sound like a "my dad can beat up your dad" pissing contest.

I own several of both brands and can honestly say Benchmade and Spyderco produce the best knives I've ever owned. Which is better? Neither. They're both outstanding. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either brand if I like the design and can afford the knife.

I like both brands, Im into Spydercos more now but Ive been into Benchmades a lot longer.

That being said, I think Benchmades are obscenely overpriced now. Spydercos are creeping up too but still manageable. It's getting there though I hope not.

Just my opinion and mine alone that Im entitled to.

Flat out, no matter how well built a knife is, if an individual due to their own personal preferences, cannot "happily" carry said knife, it's not worth the price, no matter what the price...

Bias fanboys from either side, (any side), will hail their favorite brands almost religiously over any other, be it Benchmade, Spyderco, Nike, or DeMarini, and other other brands will pale in comparison...

Personally, somebody could give me a pm2 for free (best price ever), and I would simply pay it forward and gift it again to someone who would/could appreciate it, because I can't stand the way they look, and after handling them, I wasn't awed or impressed to the point of "wow, I have to own this knife". I wouldn't/couldn't happily carry a Spyderco (most models), because to me, and my own personal preferences, they are an eyesore, and I would much rather carry a different quality built knife that I could more thoroughly enjoy every time I carried it because I liked the design... That said, I do like Benchmade designs much more, they are more pleasing to me, and thus, Benchmade is the better value, even if the price is similar. I won't buy knives, shoes, guns, shirts, trucks or cars, anything, that I don't like to look at.

Fact is they are both quality built knives using premium materials, at a mid to upper tier production prices, both have good qc and good warranty's, both have some lemons squeek through, and it really all boils down to which one an individual prefers...

From an unbiased stand I'd say the two are equals...
From a personal preference stand: Benchmade > Spyderco

Last edited:
IMHO my endura is a POS compared to by grip. Each to their own opinion.

Tastes are such an individual thing.

The two knives you named are some of my all time standbys. If I had to choose one I'd go with the Endura just because of the slimmer profile (thickness or rather thinness is very inportant to me) and extra length.

I truly love both and have quite a few of each, but BM Cust serv is so much better and faster.
I ordered 8 pocket clips from BM yesterday.....no charge for shipping or the clips. I was told I'm ONLY allowed to order 10 free clips per year.....pretty cool.
Another thing is blade replacements. I sent in a 581 satin M390 for a blade swap....dropped it onto concrete and chipped the snot out of it! I requested a coated blade. They replaced the O springs, cleaned, adjusted and lubed the knife.....all for $40. Knife was back in hand in 10 days.
Also, doesn't matter where you got the knife or if you took it apart or have custom scales. They'll hook you up.
Spydie CS isn't bad, but nowhere near BM.
No fan boy speak here, I have more Spydies than Benchmades.
Joe

I have a many Benchmades and Spydercos, mostly Taichung models. I really enjoy knives from both companies.

The Axis has too much blade play for my taste. I prefer Spyderco's back locks, esp the Power Lock.

I own several Benchmade Axis locks of various models, around 20 off the top of my head including two automatics. Every one of them has blade play to some extent. I'm always surprised when I watch a Youtube review and the reviewer says "the Axis lock has no blade play, of course" (paraphrased). I've heard it several times but all of mine do. Now I will say that many of mine are collectors and see little to no real use and I've heard that the Axis lock requires use to break in and become really solid. My well-used Bone Collector 15030 does have one of the smoothest actions and tightest lock-ups of my Axis knives. With that being said, I don't mind the play in my Axis locks; I have a lot of confidence in that lock design. The lockback on my Karahawk (and 5.11 Tarani Master 2.0 Karambit) is rock solid. I have extreme confidence in it too.

I will throw some criticism at Benchmade's warranty, in comparison to that of Spyderco: Benchmade states that they will not warranty a knife that has been acquired from a source other than an authorized dealer. Spyderco, by contrast, doesn't care where you got your knife so long as it's genuine. Benchmade's LifeSharp service may be free, but even if you pay them, they won't sharpen serrations. Spyderco will also sharpen your knife for free, and though they do ask $5 US for return shipping, they will sharpen SpyderEdges.

While I'm a fan of Benchmade's serrations (I used to own an Ally, loved it, gifted it), I'm glad my Griptilian is plain edge. While I don't plan on buying any more Benchmade products in the forseeable future, I do plan on buying several more Spydercos, and some of them will be fully or partially serrated.

Today I shipped 15 knives to Benchmade for various warranty items (from routine sharpening to new knives with defects). I called their customer service several times to talk about different things including the Bone Collector 15030 I mentioned above. I bought it used on the Exchange here and the previous owner replaced the G10 backspacer with pillars. I told this to the representative and he said to just it in and they'd replace the backspacer for free. I've also sent them knives in the past that I bought used. They worked them over and sharpened them, no questions asked. Now they do make you sign that release on the warranty form that states they can test the knife to destruction if they suspect it to be fake and if it is fake you are just SOL. But they never asked me nor does the warranty form ask when or where the knife was purchased. I do wish they would sharpen serrations though. I have sold or passed on some partially serrated Benchmades because of that.

Last edited:
I've never been questioned about authorized dealers but then again I've always bought from authorized dealers.

I've never specifically asked for sharpening of serrations but when I sent in a 707 with serrations due to the pivot screw falling out and requested sharpening it all came back nicely sharpened. This was an original August 2005 purchase sent back in 2013.

I have a many Benchmades and Spydercos, mostly Taichung models. I really enjoy knives from both companies.

Today I shipped 15 knives to Benchmade for various warranty items (from routine sharpening to new knives with defects). I called their customer service several times to talk about different things including the Bone Collector 15030 I mentioned above. I bought it used on the Exchange here and the previous owner replaced the G10 backspacer with pillars. I told this to the representative and he said to just it in and they'd replace the backspacer for free. I've also sent them knives in the past that I bought used. They worked them over and sharpened them, no questions asked. Now they do make you sign that release on the warranty form that states they can test the knife to destruction if they suspect it to be fake and if it is fake you are just SOL. But they never asked me nor does the warranty form ask when or where the knife was purchased. I do wish they would sharpen serrations though. I have sold or passed on some partially serrated Benchmades because of that.

Thank you, gentlemen, for your personal accounts. I'm very pleased that I was wrong and that Benchmade's statement about that is just words. :thumbup:

I am on the Benchmade side, although admittedly I got most of mine pre-MAP, off the exchange. But both companies have models that are good value and some that are not. I have only 3-4 spyderco and 9 or so benchmades, and I don't think any of the axis locks have blade play. I, for one, will be happy to buy from both brands, but only the models I feel provide good value.

Spydercos I think are over priced
Rubicon
Slyz Bowie over $200 compared to Sage 2

Spydercos I think are a great value
Sage 2
Gayle Bradley 1&2
Lightweigth S110V series

Benchmades I think are overpriced
BM 940 (aluminum scales) even on the exchange
Many new offerings
Vikar

Benchmades I think are good value
HK axis (best value)
940-1 (carbon fiber) from the exchange (not full price)
BM 810-1 m390
BM 810
BM mini grip (on the exchange for $65-70)

Its all personal preference, you will find people that like spyderco and those that like BM. I happen to like both, but have just gravitated more towards Benchmade, mostly due to aesthetics. It is difficult to find a design that makes the spyder hole look good to me. And I happen to have had good luck with BM and the axis lock. YMMV.

I have both Benchmades and Spyderco, and as many others have stated, part of the difference in price is the extra services and free pocket clips provided by Benchmade, where Spyderco charges $7 for pocket clips (last time I ordered one, I think it was $8 with shipping). The post I quoted (below) is a good example of this.

I haven't had personal experience with either brands repair services, but from reading many posts on the subject, it also sounds like Benchmade can/will repair knives in a condition that Spyderco considers non-repairable. Some have stated this is due in part to Spyderco's Continuous Quality Improvement program which means that current parts aren't always compatible with previous versions of the same knife...? but I don't know that for a fact.

That said, I own more Spydercos than I do Benchmades, and carry Spydercos much more often as well.

One of the common factors I hear that some people don't like about Spyderco is aesthetics. I wasn't crazy about the look of them at first, I admit. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I didn't think my Ontario Rat 1 was much to look at when I was considering buying it or for a while after I first bought it. Now I think it's a beautiful knife. Spyderco's aesthetics have grown on me, too. In the end, most of my knives I consider tools - even most of the closet queens - and looks are a secondary concern.

Last edited:
Para2 and S110V? Better value than anything BM has ever made IMO..

8D7ADF06-E80F-4B44-9C8D-F94ADDBB3406_zpspucklhmd.jpg

For what it's worth I don't use pocket clips and I sharpen my own knives so although some of you make use of those Benchmade services, I do not. And blade replacement? Don't know, never broke a blade on a folder.

If you like a certain company, you're gonna be inclined to give them a pass on certain issues like the blade play. I want to like Benchmade and do like some, but I happen to like Spyderco without having to try. It seems with Benchmade you might be getting a better warranty, but you're paying for it whether you use it or not.

I know personal preferences play into which is better/better value but I think spyderco is killing benchmade in the price point I can justify on a knife. $75-150.
I have / have had
2 mini grip
1 grip in d2
Bm 940
3 delica
Pm2
Manix
Mule team cpm4v
And a native on the way
And they come sharper. If only they had axis lock.

I've owned both and I'm sorry to tell you the delica is not low end. It's a better knife then the grip. :)

If you like a certain company, you're gonna be inclined to give them a pass on certain issues like the blade play.

For me, accepting blade play has more to do with the locking mechanism than the company. With an Axis lock some blade movement is not going to affect the engagement of the Axis bar to the blade. Blade movement on a liner/frame lock bothers me much more and doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. For instance, when I got my first two Benchmade 755 MPRs with a Monolock (framelock), there was so much blade movement up/down that it would allow the lockbar to move out of engagement. Obviously, I did not care for that. I later discovered the hex-shaped stop pin that allows for adjusting that and now all three of my MPRs are rock solid. If I hadn't found out about that I was going to send them back to Benchmade for warranty work.

My Spyderco Taichung liner/frame locks are all rock solid and inspire a lot of confidence: Vallotton, PPT, Gayle Bradley 1, Southard. I first lusted after a Vollotton but said no way when I found out they were made in Taiwan. After I found a good deal on one I learned the error of my thinking. Taichung makes excellent stuff. My compression lock PM2 has some play but not enough to be worrisome.

I've made good use of Benchmade's warranty and blade replacement services though I've never broken a blade. I had them replace the original double-edged blade on my Infidel when they released the single-edged version. I liked it a lot more and it was worth the small cost. One of the knives in my current shipment is an MPR I got for a good price used but the blade edge had been resharpened pretty badly and aggressively. I am going to have them replace if they don't think the edge can be fixed well and I'll still be money ahead on that one.

I'm just a fanboy of quality knives (and guns). Stick to the good brands and I rarely meet one I don't enjoy. That's why my safes are full of them :D

Last edited:
Back