Benchmade Warranty -- transferrable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are Benchmade warranties transferrable? I've never puchased from the company and considering buying a new-no box/paperwork knife and don't want to be without the lifetime warranty!

Originally posted by snowblind
Are Benchmade warranties transferrable? I've never puchased from the company and considering buying a new-no box/paperwork knife and don't want to be without the lifetime warranty!

Are you buying it second-hand?

According to Benchmade's website, their warranty reads as follows:

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
Benchmade Knife Company, Inc. warrants to the original owner that the knife will be free from defects in materials and workmanship. Benchmade will without charge, repair or replace at our (Benchmade's) option, any knife returned for Warranty work and found to be defective by Benchmade. The knife must be shipped by owner, prepaid and insured, together with a description of the problem and must be accompanied by the original bill of sale, your charge or credit receipt or any satisfactory proof of the original date of purchase. Any automatic knife returned for Warranty service from outside of Oregon must also include a copy of the owner's police or military identification, or be returned through the authorized Benchmade dealer from whom the knife was originally purchased. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE.

WHAT IS COVERED
This Warranty covers replacement parts and labor.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED
This warranty does not cover normal wear, resharpening of the blade, damage caused by neglect, misuse or the failure to perform normal or necessary maintenance, or shipping costs for returned knives. DISASSEMBLY OF THE KNIFE BY ANYONE OTHER THAN BENCHMADE'S OWN WARRANTY DEPARTMENT WILL VOID WARRANTY. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE.

The key word here is "original owner" so, if you are able to submit proof of original purchase, then you are the original owner. If you buy it from an individual without a receipt, I guess you're stuck with it. You might want to call Benchmade to see if they can clarify their policy as far as being able to send a knife in for service should you loose the receipt.

Luckily, I have not had to send any of my Benchmades in for service, but I don't have receipts for all of them. Hopefully someone who has had to send their Benchmade in for service can post their experience.

I've never been asked for a reciept for warranty work. And that includes a knife that I sent in seriously trashed. It took a lot of work to refurbish that knife. They never asked my to prove original ownership. They just fixed it, almost like new.

I emailed BM (info@benchmade.com) and they responded quick. I asked how I could fullfill the receipt of purchase if I bought the knife through an online auction site and paid with a money order. Well they don't seem to have a problem with this and figured I'd copy the reply from BM to clarify in case anybody else is curious.

"From: repair Department <repair@benchmade.com>
Subject: Re: Warranty Information

If purchasing with a money order, in the remarks section put a note that this is for purchase of knife. Then the carbon copy will serve as your receipt.

Thank You,

Angie

Warranty Dept.
Benchmade Knife Co.
300 Beavercreek Rd.
Oregon City, Or. 97045

1-800-800-7427 Ext. 150
"

I don't know any knife manufacturer that requires proof of original ownership, although stated in the warranty terms. I sent a knife into Buck, not being the original owner, and they fixed it with no questions asked. I think most just want to see their knives working properly.

Benchmade will not ask you for any type of receipt. Just send your knife (DONT WRITE BENCHMADE KNIVES on the package) just write BKC Rep-Dept (or whatever) and the rest of their info below that. I have sent in over 10 knives in the past 5 years and never once was asked to prove ownership. BM does have a fabulous repair department and to think of all the liners they replaced for me (lots of TI) and free clips, and new screws, putting threaded inserts into old afcks e.t.c. That is why BM has so many repeat customers. Once you spend your $100 (or whatever $$) Benchmade plans on keeping you as a customer and will help you any way they can. If they would only bring back their old-style black (red logo) t-shirts that everyone keeps asking me for!

JC

Jameson's got it, they don't uphold that portion of their warranty. It is probably there, like anything, to limit their liability, but I just got 2 knives back from Repair and I wasn't the original owner of either one. I even told them that when I initially called to get the return info. They are a solid company with good customer service.

Brandon

Originally posted by snowblind
I emailed BM (info@benchmade.com) and they responded quick. I asked how I could fullfill the receipt of purchase if I bought the knife through an online auction site and paid with a money order. Well they don't seem to have a problem with this and figured I'd copy the reply from BM to clarify in case anybody else is curious.

"From: repair Department <repair@benchmade.com>
Subject: Re: Warranty Information

If purchasing with a money order, in the remarks section put a note that this is for purchase of knife. Then the carbon copy will serve as your receipt.

Thank You,

Angie

Warranty Dept.
Benchmade Knife Co.
300 Beavercreek Rd.
Oregon City, Or. 97045

1-800-800-7427 Ext. 150
"

Good to know.:)

a tax deductable expense..100% so anthing they do there
benifits their bottom line..if they dont do it they loose
the dollar added value to their tax reduction ...the plus is
they can write off full retail value of any part or service
they provide under warrnety , so if a blade costs them $12 to make
and they would sell it for $40..then they replace your broken
blade with a $12 blade and write $40 off the tax they owe..
almost all customer service depts at any company are a tax
write off...dm
moral of this story...
SEND EM IN BOYS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back