Benchmade

Hi I'm new to the forum. I resently purchased a Benchmade Mini Crooked River. This is my first Benchmade. I like it a lot. I think it has some of the classiest looks out there. The action is slick and I really like the axis lock. I liked the action and lock so much I bought my father in-law a Bugout which he has been very happy with.

One of the reasons I bought Benchmade was because of their customer service reputation. I've read on forums where if you request for a deep pocket clip they would even send you one for free. I tried this and my request of denied. I was told I could purchase one for $5. Do any of you know if Benchmade has changed their policy on this or if it just depends on who you contact at the time? To be honest I'm a little disappointed.

I was thinking about getting a Bugout for myself, but now I'm considering maybe going with a Spyderco Para 3 Lightweight. Can any of you compare these two as a lightweight edc option?

Thanks!

If you want a lightweight edc the Bugout is really the gold standard. The Para 3 LW is light weight... compared to the regular Para 3. Compared to the Bugout though its a considerably beefier knife.

I like both, but I like the Bugout more.

I'll also second the recommendation for MXG clips. Almost every knife I own has an MXG clip on it. I like the geometry better on them than Benchmade clips and I like being able to anodize the Ti.

I'm really surprised Benchmade took this long to start charging for clips. People were abusing the hell out of them. I wouldn't let it turn you off of them.

I'm still considering the Bugout. I'm not completely turned off by Benchmade. Just a little disappointed. It has more to do with managing my expectations I suppose. That being said what are some of the best Bugout alternatives?

Sorry I am new to this forum so forgive me if this is the wrong place for this question. I am also trying to decide on first knife over $100 and have come to Benchmade or Spyderco. Benchmade warranty says it is only for original purchaser. If I buy something from the forum do I not get any Benchmade warranty? Also if not why do people buy the knifes for almost retail on the forum?

I'm still considering the Bugout. I'm not completely turned off by Benchmade. Just a little disappointed. It has more to do with managing my expectations I suppose. That being said what are some of the best Bugout alternatives?

Benchmade has one of the best customer services around when it come to replacement parts like pocket clips, body screws, male pivots etc. I am an international customer and have never failed to get replacement clips and screws for my knives, and my contact with them has always been by email. They will give free direct clip replacements for the knives you own, up to 10 parts requests per year and I think that's quite reasonable. However if you do need a clip from another model that's not a direct replacement, they will charge $5 per clip plus shipping. That's pretty fair too. Do give the Bugout a go, its very lightweight. A few months back, I was debating between a Bugout and a Limited Edition 531-1901 at the Benchmade dealer in Hong Kong. Both were great lightweight knives, and I eventually went for the 531-1901 (but it is an International Dealer Edition and might be difficult to get hold of in the States) :

BM531-1901.jpg

Sorry I am new to this forum so forgive me if this is the wrong place for this question. I am also trying to decide on first knife over $100 and have come to Benchmade or Spyderco. Benchmade warranty says it is only for original purchaser. If I buy something from the forum do I not get any Benchmade warranty? Also if not why do people buy the knifes for almost retail on the forum?
I never had problems getting replacement parts for any of the Benchmades that I bought from the secondary market. Recently I bought a used 761 Titanium Monolock that was in great condition, virtually unused but for some snail's trails on the handles, except that the pocket clip was missing. Previous owner took it off and carried clipless, and misplaced it. I emailed Benchmade, and they promptly sent me a free titanium clip and screws kit.

I use to love Benchmade but with their recent political fiasco I've lost interest in them. Plus the more “bullet proof” knife would be the Para 3. There are no omega springs to break in the Para 3. The Spyderco compression lock is a very dependable and strong lock. I’d go with the Spyderco myself.

Benchmade will honor their warranty on their knives without any proof of purchase.
I have sent a couple in I purchased second hand and they never questioned me.
Great service.

Back