Bento Box K390 Para 3

Received my K390 Para 3 today and it has to be the worst experience I've had with a Spyderco knife. Centering was terrible, action extremely stiff/gritty but the worst thing was the lock stick. In the past I can usually remedy the first 2 issues and sometimes the lock stick as well but this time no such luck. Emailed Spyderco and the same old story. I pay for the knife that's screwed up and now I pay shipping to send it in plus add the 5 bucks that they request and may be 20 more to fix. Just doesn't seem right to me. Oh well enough belly aching. I typically love all things Spyderco but this one just aggravates me. Anyone else having issues?

Send it to them. They will take care of you. Very low chance you will pay the $20 on a brand new knife . . . if you had used and abused then yes.

For what it is worth my Police in K390 is the cat's meow. I'm very pleased with it and it is better in the hand than I could have ever imagined :thumbsup:
Mostly I just got it to have the steel and wound up being very impressed with the over all usability / ergos.
IMG_5985.jpg

PS: another option is contact the vendor you got it from first. They may pay shipping. Sorry . . . I don't know much about the Bento Box thing never having got one.

Sadly Spyderco calls too much "in spec" when you send it in. They need a new customer service department (person). And good luck with the Bento exchange. To say that they are the worst authorized Spyderco dealer wouldn't do justice to how bad they are.

Mine’s a hair off center, if that.
Drop free, smooth, no play.
A little bit of lock stick, it’ll smooth out.

Buying from bento guarantees you’ll never get a knife other than you ordered, or one that was damaged/used and returned.

Mine’s a hair off center, if that.
Drop free, smooth, no play.
A little bit of lock stick, it’ll smooth out.

Buying from bento guarantees you’ll never get a knife other than you ordered, or one that was damaged/used and returned.

That's one way to look at it for sure!

Never had lock stick smooth out. I've tried all of the suggested fixes on multiple knives with lock stick.

Bento doesn't even accept returns. You have to send it directly to Spyderco.[/QUOTE

reason I don’t have the K390 PM2 . Just doesn’t make any sense to buy from BB and spyderco should be responsible for the exchange and the refund .

A red para 3 I got recently is pretty bad. To get rid of the side to side bladeplay, I had to crank down on the pivot screws.
Now I have to forcefully open and close it. Centering is still off a tad. This is the only Spyderco I've had any actual problems with, out of about the 15 I've bought. I'm just going to leave it as it is. It opens, closes, and cuts.

A red para 3 I got recently is pretty bad. To get rid of the side to side bladeplay, I had to crank down on the pivot screws.
Now I have to forcefully open and close it. Centering is still off a tad. This is the only Spyderco I've had any actual problems with, out of about the 15 I've bought. I'm just going to leave it as it is. It opens, closes, and cuts.

The Para3/PM2 adjustment is a little touchy -- I've found that trial and error in adjusting both sides of the pivot and the stop pin screws is what it takes to get to decent centering/action and absence of play. I've been surprised that cranking down on the stop pin often the play is removed and the action remains pretty good. Once you get it how you like it, loctite it.

The Para3/PM2 adjustment is a little touchy -- I've found that trial and error in adjusting both sides of the pivot and the stop pin screws is what it takes to get to decent centering/action and absence of play. I've been surprised that cranking down on the stop pin often the play is removed and the action remains pretty good. Once you get it how you like it, loctite it.

I found on the para 3 that the standoff screws play a part in action as well. I had trouble with mine having free action with no play until I loosened the standoff screws.

I agree the knife is excellent, I'm 100% satisfied with mine.
But why the big zero for BB? Were they slow to ship or something?

I’d rather not identify myself with exact details. I will just say that I’ve easily bought 250 knives total over the last 3 years or so from an assortment of all of the dealers who we all know. Bento is, without the shadow of a doubt, the worst. Rude and just bad. Bad ownership.

I have bought four knives in about five years with no problems from BBS. Two in the last two months that I ordered on Friday and received on Monday. Every knife I have purchased, no one else carried. When it comes to Spyderco, I buy from authorized dealers at the best price.

I have bought four knives in about five years with no problems from BBS. Two in the last two months that I ordered on Friday and received on Monday. Every knife I have purchased, no one else carried. When it comes to Spyderco, I buy from authorized dealers at the best price.

Hey, if you like them and get the best price there then go for it! I won’t be buying front them again, even if they have an exclusive I like. Horrible place IMHO.

Back