Besides CPK knives, whaddaya like?

I’ve had this one for awhile, but it’s one of my favorite Ban Tang small defensive knives. It’s a one off he called Nightmare Pickal in 3V with black linen micarta scales.

Tyko3NM.jpg

OwrWPKZ.jpg
WOW!!! That’s a diabolically beautiful defensive blade!

I’ve had this one for awhile, but it’s one of my favorite Ban Tang small defensive knives. It’s called Nightmare Pickal. 3V with black linen micarta scales, triple chisel grind, convex on top, and flat grind on bottom.

Tyko3NM.jpg

OwrWPKZ.jpg
Thanks Fullflat! The pickal is meant to be held in reverse grip with Ban’s signature zero convex edge as the main edge.
uD7Sb66.jpg

1gc6hyl.jpg

Just received my Phillip Patton double edged fighter. Outstanding knife, 8.5” of forged A2 goodness with a 3.5” sharpened clip. Love the Lignum vitae scales, feels real good in hand.:thumbsup:;)

whZ4AdO.jpg

P6bU9vf.jpg

Ym0B788.jpg

oa3Fh4k.jpg

RE5xvgN.jpg

PprPm8T.jpg

Came with a beautiful tooled leather sash style sheath. I requested the hole at the bottom for a shock cord.

Last edited:
Just received my Phillip Patton double edged fighter. Outstanding knife. 8.5” of forged A2 goodness with a 3.5” sharpened clip. Love the Lignum vitae scales, feels real good in hand.:thumbsup:;)

whZ4AdO.jpg

P6bU9vf.jpg

Ym0B788.jpg

oa3Fh4k.jpg

RE5xvgN.jpg

PprPm8T.jpg

Came with a beautiful tooled leather sash style sheath. I requested the hole at the bottom for a shock cord.

That's an incredible piece Gus. I just don't see anything about it not to like, from the blade to the sheath.

Just received my Phillip Patton double edged fighter. Outstanding knife, 8.5” of forged A2 goodness with a 3.5” sharpened clip. Love the Lignum vitae scales, feels real good in hand.:thumbsup:;)

whZ4AdO.jpg

P6bU9vf.jpg

Ym0B788.jpg

oa3Fh4k.jpg

RE5xvgN.jpg

PprPm8T.jpg

That's one handsome looking sticker! :eek: Good gosh I love those lignum handles.

^I always loved lignum vitae, then one day found a Loveless Archer Chute knife, dated to 1974, with lignum vitae scales, which surprised me - and I grabbed it. A pic is below. True lignum vitae has been Cites listed for some time now, with fear it will continue to be overharvested and eventually be listed as endangered. Many still use it but because of the Cites issue, others began to switch to Argentine lignum vitae, a cheaper material, also known as Verawood and not a true lignum vitae. But it's difficult to distinguish one from the other. Their grains of each are easily confused for the those of the other. But there is a perfect way to find out if it's true lignum vitae or Argentine. One looks at the end grain.

The image below is end grain from true lignum vitae. Were it Argentine, no grain dot would touch any other grain dot. the end grain is spread apart, unlike true l.v., which is bunched closely together. First, the example of true end grain, magnified 10x, showing the telltale bunching. The second image is that Loveless I mentioned, with the right end grain and that almost olive color in the wood.
palin
EDIT: It was a long day yesterday and a short night last night, which might explain my switching the imaging comparisons between the two woods. I've added the grain of the Argentine below, so as to give a better comparison of the two. True lignum vitae on the top, Argentine below it.

xlarge.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Last edited:

whZ4AdO.jpg

P6bU9vf.jpg

Ym0B788.jpg

oa3Fh4k.jpg

RE5xvgN.jpg

PprPm8T.jpg

I was two seconds from pulling the trigger in that one. Gorgeous knife! Phillip does such fine work. Congratulations! Mike

^I always loved lignum vitae, then one day found a Loveless Archer Chute knife, dated to 1972, with lignum vitae scales, which surprised me - and I grad it. A pic is below. True lignum vitae has been Cites listed for some time now, with fear it will continue to be overharvested and eventually be listed as endangered. Many still use it but because of the Cites issue, others began to switch to Argentine lignum vitae, a cheaper material, also known as Verawood and not a true lignum vitae. But it's difficult to distinguish one from the other. Their grains of each are easily confused for the those of the other. But there is a perfect way to find out if it's true lignum vitae or Argentine. One looks at the end grain.

The image below is end grain from true lignum vitae. Were it Argentine, no grain dot would touch any other grain dot. the end grain is spread apart, unlike true l.v., which is bunched closely together. First, the example of true end grain, magnified 10x, showing the telltale bunching. The second image is that Loveless I mentioned, with the right end grain and that almost olive color in the wood.

xlarge.jpg

large.jpg

That is one very fine looking Loveless, Bob. Probably one that appeals to me the most of all that I’ve seen. Excuse me while I just gaze for awhile.

Thank you for the lesson on lignum vitae. I have special memories of this wood. When I was an early teenager, my dad brought a nice chunk of it home. I remember how good looking and dense it was. Being a kid, and always trying to take a puff of this or that, just for fun, I made a crude pipe out of it. The hot vaporized oil that came out of the pipe the first time I used it just about did me in. I was coughing for a couple of days. Wish I had put that wood to better use.:p Mike

^I always loved lignum vitae, then one day found a Loveless Archer Chute knife, dated to 1972, with lignum vitae scales, which surprised me - and I grad it. A pic is below. True lignum vitae has been Cites listed for some time now, with fear it will continue to be overharvested and eventually be listed as endangered. Many still use it but because of the Cites issue, others began to switch to Argentine lignum vitae, a cheaper material, also known as Verawood and not a true lignum vitae. But it's difficult to distinguish one from the other. Their grains of each are easily confused for the those of the other. But there is a perfect way to find out if it's true lignum vitae or Argentine. One looks at the end grain.

xlarge.jpg

large.jpg

Wow! That sure is a nice Loveless Chute Knife Bob. I’ve wanted to get a knife with lignum vitae scales ever since I saw one in the Fiddleback subforum a few years ago. I don’t think I’ll be able to examine mine under a microscope, but if Phillip says it’s lignum vitae, I’ll take his word for it. :thumbsup:;)

xlarge.jpg

large.jpg

A truly lovely specimen Mr. Betzner! Thank you for sharing.

I remember reading up on the points you mentioned. Which reminds me I should get these under magnification and see what I've really got.

20160630_093249-2532x587.jpg
20160717_124359-3984x2241.jpg
The variation in grain, patterns, color and remarkable strength of a natural substance is really awe-inspiring. I'm especially fond of the feathering in certain grains.

Attachments

• 20160717_124253-3984x2241.jpg
    20160717_124253-3984x2241.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 2
Wow! That sure is a nice Loveless Chute Knife Bob. I’ve wanted to get a knife with lignum vitae scales ever since I saw one in the Fiddleback subforum a few years ago. I don’t think I’ll be able to examine mine under a microscope, but if Phillip says it’s lignum vitae, I’ll take his word for it. :thumbsup:;)

There are probably a good number of people on the forum that may not know it is the heaviest wood in the world and will not float, period. Until the late 50's, it was used in ships for certain bearings, because it happens to be self-lubricating. Hard to imagine, and pardon me for lifting the following text from online, where i got an education on LV and it's amazing properties, over the years. "The aft main shaft strut bearings for USS Nautilus (SSN-571), the world's first nuclear-powered submarine, were composed of this wood."

Last edited:
Back