Besides CPK knives, whaddaya like?

I forgot to mention, but made from 3/8" stock, too, and sharpened all the way around, circa 1979.

Cut 'em or club 'em to death, either one works, lol.

The uninitiated don't understand the complexity of that grind. The diameter differs from the wheel used to grind it and it varies and is smoothly blended. I have met very few makers who can pull that off. And then the recurve...

YOSHINDO YOSHIHARA

orig.jpg

This one came to me around 10 years ago with a letter from Jean Lum, Bob Lum's widow, explaining that Lum had purchased it directly from Yoshihara in 2006 at the Solvang knife show. Yoshihara inscribed the sheath to Bob Lum at the time of purchase. Jean Lum mentioned that Bob considered this knife to be the ultimate piece in his small collection of other makers' knives.

I have always been fascinated by Japanese style swords and knives, this being the first I ever acquired. But for some reason, over time I would lose interest in every asian style blade I ever owned.

8 months ago I put myself on the reserve list for a Northlander Hatchet II from the Northmen Guild
and today I received notice that they were ready to start making my order. I paid 1/2 today and will pay the other half in approximately another 6-8 months when it is made. This is considerably more than I would typically pay for a hatchet but there is something about the craftsmanship that goes into these axes that I appreciate. (Or did I just swallow up the marketing :p) Time will tell.

I already own a few gransfors axes / hatchets that all get used but I’m curious how this will compare at a considerable premium in cost and wait time.

What’s your guys thoughts?

Here’s a few pics form their site
8CVFiFe.jpg

YKMny4O.jpg

I'd get a hatchet from Liam Hoffman if I was in the market

Great, now I need another one. I was just cruising his site and there is some nice axes.

The only knifemaker who I will ever park $ with for over 12 month will be Mr. NC in NC! Liam Hoffman makes some great axes but without being disrespectful to Mr. LH, he can't even carry Nathan's tools bag when it comes to having the wherewithals to park your $ with for 24-36 months. If it's a special project by Nathan & Jo, for sure; otherwise not for me!

Back