Besides CPK knives, whaddaya like?

that sweet spot that you're talking about is the center of percussion. However when you're making deep cuts with a chopper you will get deeper bites by hitting behind that center of percussion because then the impact is driving the handle up into your hand which puts some of the mass of your arm into the cut. On a competition chopper your power zone is an area between the guard and the middle of the blade. The tip of the blade is where you develop tip speed and go for things like straws and rope.
Good to know.

Good to know.
Think of it like a pivot, and your ability to resist the pivoting/rebound of the blade upon impact.

Closer towards the tip, as Nathan mentioned, you have more speed for light cuts (excellent for brush as you need the speed to cut through the small limb's tiny inertia, before it can bend away as with a slower impact).

With a power cut on a solid target though, when you have the impact just behind the center, the forward part of the blade's momentum creates a pivoting force at that impact point, that is easier to resist with the wrist and arm, and allows the blade to bite deeper as you're using both the tip momentum AND your arm's force on either end, to get the blade to bite deeper.

With the impact near the tip, you have a much longer lever for your hand/wrist/arm to apply force against if you try to apply more force/pressure.

When you try it, you'll find that it's also more efficient. As opposed to having to swing hard to get the tip speed to bite deep, you can just use medium power swings hitting near/slightly behind the center of the blade to bite just as deep, but with the kind of medium effort that you can keep up for a lot longer.

Trying a PM2 again. Not sure if it’ll be a keeper yet…
nRGTJN0.jpg

S!K GSO6 jungle hike.

S!K getting better with every minor tweaks. The biggest improvement in this GSO6 is its handle. It’s now longer and thicker. The longer handle supports more grip options and the thicker scales made it more comfortable to hold.

51324144355_3de00b6329_k_d.jpg

This is a knife with a little back story.

Years ago, my friend Bob Dozier agreed, (on another site dedicated to outdoor survival and skills), to humor us and make his first blade with a convex edge. (He was adamant in his distaste for convex, but was actually impressed with how well the knife performed after making it.)

The blade was sent around to various members to test and when it got to me, Bob told me he wanted me to keep the blade.

I had one of the members make some great scales for it...as comfortable as any I've ever owned, including mortised...and another member made a beautiful leather sheath for it.

D2 with a cutting edge of about 3.25". I don't remember what Bob said the Rockwell may have been.

DozierProto2.jpgDozierProto1.jpg

This is the thread where you can post up pictures of the other knives you've picked up that you really like.
Just for the fun of it:)

Folders ? Mostly Spyderco and Hinderer. Favorite size is ~3.75" blade-length.

i-6KtgtNb-X2.jpg

i-pMNBdF8-X2.jpg

i-6DB6bBn-X2.jpg

Fixed: obviously Busse (see my other thread), some Russians, and a couple of Bucks, Hinderers and Customs.

i-TDLxfgC-X2.jpg

Speaking about which, I love this knife, and see almost nobody mention it. Should be very interesting to the CPK crowd (BOS 3V & very slicey ....)

i-gnnhphx-X2.jpg

Cheers,

Roland.

I’ve been wanting one of Big Chris’s Voyagers for quite some time. Finally was able to get on his books and get one made up. Unfortunately, he didn’t give me a choice on steel and I was limited to what he already had cut out. Still, CPM 154 is not bad at all and will be easy enough to maintain.

That guy can sharpen a knife…

5RpM76b.jpg
very Interesting handle material there.

Here's another example of Don's "Sunfish", scary Damasus blade and bolsters.............

Last edited:
Don't know about your Sunfish, but this old one weighs a ton...9 1/8 ounces.

I used to have a piece from my old friend Al Dippold with a similarly styled Damascus to yours from Don. If I remember correctly, he called it "Maximum Distortion". Very apropos if you know Al. LOL.

Back