Besides CPK knives, whaddaya like?

If you knew anything about him, you wouldn't say that

just in this context. I know he's knowledgable, but following the logic of his claim that 'no one knows' why the thing is there, and then categorically refuting one explanation with little in the way of explanation behind his rationale seems a little contradictory

Justin, I didn't put that video there to show how the cho works wrt blood staying off the handle, but to show how khukuris are used in religious rites and how the common usage of them this way could provide a link between that use and the little design feature we're discussing

Yeahhhhhh Lorien I'm not sure. Might be as simple as tradition. If it served a definite purpose I'm sure the explanation would be out there.

Before Google we sat around and wondered.

Now the people making them could explain it easily enough.

yeah, I'm not saying that I know one way or the other. Interesting to talk about though

It's hard for me to imagine that such a ubiquitous design feature would be solely symbolic. It makes more sense, to me, that there would be an alignment between utility and symbolism. Which is what I tried, (poorly) to convey when I first brought this up

here's a link to what the folks who produce the lion's share of khuks on the planet have to say about this stuff

just in this context. I know he's knowledgable, but following the logic of his claim that 'no one knows' why the thing is there, and then categorically refuting one explanation with little in the way of explanation behind his rationale seems a little contradictory

He has multiple 10+ minute videos on the subject if you really care to hear his reasoning

I'll check it out, always been fascinated by khuks and the like and can never really learn enough about em

zVUzO3A.jpg

keHfls9.jpg

Boat tail Scandi?

Yes sir, it is! This knife has quite a history to it. I am original owner, used it for a while, and sent it off to a friend in MN for about a year to use. Got it back, sold it to a friend on another forum. He kept it for a year and I ended up buying it back from him. I used and sharpened it some more, put it up for sale and @The Warrior bought it. I ended up buying it back from him. Thought about putting it up for sale, but realized again what a great freakin' knife this is! For it to float all around the county for a few years and make its way back to me, it was meant for me to keep it!

I just ran across Wenger Blades, they've some good looking models in 80CrV2 and Nitro-V. I might have to take another look at their page later on.

Recently I ran across an old favorite of mine, made by George Herron (who passed away in 2007), perhaps one of the ten top stock removal makers of all time, designing similarly to Bob Loveless, but with his own style. It's the only tactical knife design he ever made, 50 of them for LDC knives, now known as Robertson Custom Knives. Also the only bead blasted knife and the only knife he made with a canted guard. Some were marked "Herron" and some were marked "Herron 2000", since they were made during 1999 and 2000. Close to as perfect as one can get:

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

Last edited:
Jeremy Krammes Dragon Knife with Bertie Reitveld Dragon Skin Damascus frame & Mike Norris Fireclone Damascus blade:

orig.jpg

Finally at a point where it made sense to grab it, happy day!

EDIT: Only yesterday, after I had grabbed this folder, did I learn that it's on the back cover of Knives 2018. Pure luck.

Last edited:
^ although I'm ardently against cruelty toward dragons and misusing them for harnessing their skins, I must say that I really like that visual above ^

Back