Besides Fiddlebacks what else do you like

Bmurray

Gold Member
What do you like carrying or using other than our Fiddlebacks and family of knives? I know Andy had a collection of Arno's and Busse's.

For me its Kosters, Nick Allen's stuff and my puukkos. Just got my first Arno. What do you'al like? Pics will be best.

While I also like Russell's and Kyle's work quite a bit, other than the tools I have to carry as I develop them, like GFOs tailor made for friends on my local police force, I tend to stick with carrying a small Fiddleback these days. I have ever since I met Andy ten years ago and saw the light around him that stood out in my dark world. For me, what I feel from the knife when I pick it up means just as much to me, if not more, than what I see or how it feels. Andy has been one of the few anomalies to tick all three of those boxes for me and Russell is another. Having spent the last 13 years working with companies like RMJ Tactical and a few others who make tools for our special warfare teams, tools for soldiers to disassemble other soldiers with, when I set my Fiddleback down and reach for other things it can be a bad sign in my life, and having finally reached a brighter point my long spiritual journey, I make every effort to avoid going there these days. Sorry, but in this instance I'm going to forego the pics. There are some things my experiences in life allow me to do that are necessary sometimes, but that I'd rather not go inspiring others with.

Mostly FB stick knifes to be honest. I do have a Cohutta MT Jr., a few Bryan Breeden's, Bruce Culberson's, one CPK, one AA- Forager, a ZT 562CF folder, Koyote Leuku and Leukuchette. Mostly just random odds and ends after that. The Koyote Leukuchette is going to become a Germanic style seax if I can get my hands to stop shaking. ;)

I am jonesing for a nice Case stag carbon steel pocket knife- like a jack but the prices have kept one out of my pocket so far.

I need to get some family pics. I have picked up some nice FB's that have not been photoed yet.

Bill

Mostly FB stick knifes to be honest. I do have a Cohutta MT Jr., a few Bryan Breeden's, Bruce Culberson's, one CPK, one AA- Forager, a ZT 562CF folder, Koyote Leuku and Leukuchette. Mostly just random odds and ends after that. The Koyote Leukuchette is going to become a Germanic style seax if I can get my hands to stop shaking. ;)

I am jonesing for a nice Case stag carbon steel pocket knife- like a jack but the prices have kept one out of my pocket so far.

I need to get some family pics. I have picked up some nice FB's that have not been photoed yet.

Bill

I miss Bryan, he was fun to explore knife designing with and he did a great job of making some of my early prototypes for me to study. The Sojourner was one of the earliest prototypes for what eventually became the Schrade SCHF42 Raven. A friend has all of those now holding them for me if I ever scrape up the money to buy them back. Another casualty of ending a marriage after the ex sent us into financial destitution...

When you first mentioned the Case I thought I had something to offer you at a price you could afford. One of the knives I inherited a few years ago is a 21 year old Case Trapper in stag. It's pristine and still in the box but it is Stainless and is a commemorative. I was thinking you could probably remove the writing from the blades and just carry it, which is what I was considering doing, but after recent expenses thought I should probably try to sell it. I just have no idea where to begin or what to ask, and really don'ty have a lot of spare time to research that...

20190525_140515.jpg

20190525_140545.jpg

20190525_140531.jpg

I miss Bryan, he was fun to explore knife designing with and he did a great job of making some of my early prototypes for me to study. The Sojourner was one of the earliest prototypes for what eventually became the Schrade SCHF42 Raven. A friend has all of those now holding them for me if I ever scrape up the money to buy them back. Another casualty of ending a marriage after the ex sent us into financial destitution...

When you first mentioned the Case I thought I had something to offer you at a price you could afford. One of the knives I inherited a few years ago is a 21 year old Case Trapper in stag. It's pristine and still in the box but it is Stainless and is a commemorative. I was thinking you could probably remove the writing from the blades and just carry it, which is what I was considering doing, but after recent expenses thought I should probably try to sell it. I just have no idea where to begin or what to ask, and really don'ty have a lot of spare time to research that...

20190525_140515.jpg

20190525_140545.jpg

20190525_140531.jpg
Brian, your inbox is full.

After my fiddlebacks (duke, bushfinger, recluse, handyman), I have several Bark Rivers that I love (bravo 1.25, fox River ext-1, gunny, rising wolf), as well as several LT Wrights (Forest trail, rouge River, Forest trail) that I like as well. Folders are mostly Spyderco (pm2, pm3, delicate), Benchmade (mini trip), and Microtech (utx 85). Also have a pile of moras that are great users!!

Rick Marchand Wengaxe

G7VzhOf.jpg

Another piece by Rick Marchand (Wildertools). This one is called the Chug Bowie.

koEQvr1.jpg

Carothers EDC2

Yv4egr8.jpg

Ban Tang Mini-Bowie

3KgJpXQ.jpg

L to R: Matt Gregory Chef Knife and Stuart Davenport Paring Knife

JsmW6sE.jpg

EpbOoXC.jpg

Chris Reeve Starbenza

FrRljrn.jpg

Busse Swamp Rat Ratmandu

dnCA44t.jpg

GEC Beer Scout Knife

Vbv12Cl.jpg

And one by Evan Nicolaides (Esnyx)

8jNyl2l.jpg

Himalayan Imports

zQNmgak.jpg

Stuart Branson Hunter

m72qt0c.jpg

Dark Timber 1911's

9mrVy2A.jpg

sfZFOWP.jpg

Adventure Sworn Hiker

CxFsIXY.jpg

Cohutta

2YcvHjB.jpg

Still love Fiddleback by Andy Roy (Patch Knife)

DZAJv7N.jpg

OCGukxo.jpg

94udPaO.jpg

ehnHzuZ.jpg

Last edited:
For fixed blades its Fiddleback Family all the way, Fiddleback, Osprey Knife & Tool, W A Surls, Jarrett Fleming. They'll ride at 4 o'clock in a vertical sheath.

I gave fixed blade pocket carry my best try but I just can't do it. I think its because of the combined thickness of the knife and sheath but it could be the overall length in the pocket just doesn't work. Or maybe my pants are too tight. :confused: I dunno, doesn't feel right to me. So folders ride in the pocket and I've had a ton of them but have scaled the crowd back a good bit (but it seriously doesn't seem that way after listing some of them out :cool: ). I've scaled all my Benchmades down to 3 models, my favorite being the Anthem, then a Bugout and then a large Grip that took a long time to build out. I scaled my Spyderco's waaaaay the heck back with regard to duplicates and also regarding models and am sitting around 8 Spyderco models. The PM2, PM3 and FRN Chapparal are the favorites. If I'm sweating my arse off in motorcycle class it'll always be a Salt or a Pacific with the H1 non-rusting steel. I've got 2 Southard Mini Tolks that are pretty 'spensive and hard to come by and I love em but tend not to carry them. (might be time to let them go just due to the "use your shit" principal) I'm down to 5 Hinderers (XM-18 3.5 Skinny, XM-18 3.0 Wharnie, Full Ti MP1, Firetac, Halftrack) and I probably carry the Halftrack the most and the Firetac after that. My Chris Reeve Knives got scaled down to 1 survivor, a Small Inkosi Insingo black micarta. The Arius has great action but doesn't get carried probably due to overall size/weight so that is probably on the chopping block, but still its one that I like. I really wish Bill would do a drop point the size of his Mini Goblin. Recently I scored an opportunity at a Three Rivers Neutron and the blade shape, overall knife thinness and blade thinness makes it just phenomenal. Picked up a Kizer Feist reverse tanto front flipper and the main reason was to try out that type of action before going to Blade and possibly spending a bunch on an Olamic Busker front flipper. Liked that Feist so much that I joined a drop for a Kizer Feist with drop point blade that Massdrop estimates shipping in July. Awww crap, there was also the drop for the Laconico Keen that I joined. And last but not least is the folder that I seem to carry the most just because of its simple but functional design and really nice action; a Monterey Bay (Ray Laconico) EZC.
EZC.jpg
I MUST stop watching those damn Shabazz videos!

My top 3 folder targets for Blade are potentially: Gareth Bull Shamwari, Olamic Busker Semper, Spyderco Paysan. Shoot 4, make that top 4 folders also including the Three Rivers Atom. I'd also like to handle a Giant Mouse Ace Biblio, XM-18 3.0 Skinny (hope Rick makes some in DLC), a Spyderco Drunken, and some Southern Grinds - Spider Monkey, Penguin, Quill. Budget-wise I'm realistically sitting at probably 2 or 3 of that list. But really, the main reasons for me dropping into Blade is to share that with my kids and see their reactions, social visits and if I pick anything up that'll be ok.

All in all Bmurray Bmurray that was a good question you posted and I'm now thinking I should have just replied with "I have issues" or "too many". :)

Very impressive mix of knives Tim the Wizard Tim the Wizard . Your photo layouts are amazing too.

It’s always interesting to see how collections of long term members have evolved once he or she understands from experience what really works and weeds out what doesn’t.

Thanks for posting.

Phil

Thanks for the compliments! Comprehensivist Comprehensivist , I know your collection has changed over time as well. Of those posted, I only have the Wengeaxe, the beer scout, the kitchen knives, and the Cohutta set left. My wife has taken the Ban Tang and my daughter has claimed the Ratmandu or her "orange knife." Some I wish I still had but the nature of the hobby is fluid and I have a lot to look forward to.

Last edited:
The Arno Bernard Nyala is absolute perfection, many as good but hard to find better. My Randall Made (which every American knife knife guy/gal should own at least one of), my opinion the very best EDC blade Bark River has ever made the Bravo EDC (simplicity at its finest), one I'll have till death my Large Sebenza 21 by Chris Reeve, and of course my newest addition to my Fiddleback collection Loner here(simply want to show it off)....15588628046347005756582699115980.jpg 1558862859202886589631223729877.jpg 15588629347391724882207047938790.jpg 15588629590816427887508810235054.jpg 15588629924474730294467372143383.jpg

I enjoy all sorts but forged hunters and stag traditional knifes always seem to find a way into my house

PT, Some fine knives. I have always wanted some Marchand steel and the Ratmandu has remained the most usefully design to come out of the Swamp for me. I keep wanting to jump on one but having a Hunter and a Duke- hard to find a place for the Rat- but I am sure it will happen anyway ;)

Bill

Back