Besides Fiddlebacks what else do you like

"If you just want to cut something, get a Mora. If you want to smile every time you pick up a knife, get a Fiddleback." Not sure who posted that some years back, but it's still my favorite comment on this subforum.

Since happening upon Fiddlebacks about six years ago, I've let all other makers' blades go, keeping just Fiddlebacks and a Surls Big Palmer. Three reasons: They cut what I need to cut; I can hold them safely in my large and gimpy right hand; and they look good. In fact, they make me smile every time I pick one of them up, which often happens even if I don't have something to cut at the moment.

Last edited:
Good question. For me it is LT Wright and Fiddleback. I have one AA Forge (Hunter), one MK Knife, one Jarrett Flemming...... all keepers in my opinion.

In addition to Fiddleback and LT Wright, WA Surls and Arno Bernard are on my short list for Blade.

Nice idea for a thread Bob Bmurray Bmurray . I have not posted much significant content in the last year or so because I have run out of new stuff to add. This topic opens up new territory, so I’ll play along.

Bark River knives were my gateway into fixed blades starting about a dozen years ago. I learned a lot by trying and comparing many models over a six year span before I discovered Fiddlebacks in 2013. Along the way I learned that thicker steel and obtuse grinds didn’t suit my preference for most applications. The ones I have held on to are all 3/32” steel with a full height convex grind. They are impressive slicers.

(Top down: Kalahari Sportsman, Kitchen Petty,
Kephart, & Mini-Kephart)

From the extended Fiddleback family, here are my Osprey Knife & Tool knives. The original Raptor from Chris’s early days is still my favorite user even though the others show how his work and skills have grown exponetially since I bought that knife at Blade 2015 when he was just getting going as a maker.

(L to R: Nomad, K2 Raptor, K Raptor, Raptor, & K Apache)

This is my “one-off” group, meaning I only have one knife by each of these makers. There are some real gems in this group.

(L to R: Evans Companion in S35VN, Malanika Limited Edition M4 Puukko, W.A. Surls CPM 154 Moray, Fletcher tapered CPM 154 Esteban II, Ban Tang Mini-Bowie in VG-10, & AA Forge Grunt in 52100)

Even though my indoor photography skills really suck, here are our main kitchen knives. The Robert Erickson chef knife in thin AEB-L second from the left has been my primary kitchen tool for the last four years. My wife prefers the Ken Onion production chef knife on the far right as her favorite cutting tool.

(L to R: Robert Erickson 9” Chef, R.E. 7” Chef, Stuart Davenport Parer, Carl Rechsteiner saw blade Utility, & Ken Onion Rain 8” Chef)

In the last two years I have become a big fan of Nathan Carothers' knives because they have excellent designs (particularly the handles) and hold their sharp edge for an amazingly long time with the D3V steel and heat treat protocol they have developed.

(Top down: Heavy Duty Field Knife “HDFK”, Utility Field Knife “UFK or FK2”, & EDC2)

Of course this post wouldn’t be complete without including my Fiddlebacks. Through year of trials & comparisons, I have achieved my final (for now) group of four favorite users. These are the ones that have proven themselves to me over many years (Bush Hermit, Bushcrafter & Sneaky Pete.)

I put a highly refined convex edge on the machete with my Wicked Egde Gen 3 just to see what was possible. This thing is downright scary to swing now.

My wife still has her pretty Bush Hermit also...

This is the majority of my fixed blade collection after two years of consolidating down from 100 plus knives to the low 30’s as I concentrate on my favorite users. I still have more knives than opportunities to use them, so there is likely more refining work to do on the horizon. Of course going to Blade has a way of derailing plans like that by fanning the flames of temptation to acquire again...

Phil

Last edited:
I almost feel naked...or a little guilty without at least 1 Fiddleback on me during the day to day action, on a hike or ramble, backpacking, peak bagging...such as this Pocket Kephart that currently rides my hip:
NKHZ8xal.jpg

But, the Fiddleback family is large and I have appreciation for work from:
Alfa-Knife -
rl3tVTml.jpg

Fletcher Knives -
GIPOQmEl.jpg

AA Forge blades have a place in my quiver:
12nbDOUl.jpg

qcxRjtrl.jpg

Some BF makers that caught my eye:
Bill Siegle -
B8qyZmTl.jpg

Daado -
3voYNqSl.jpg

Tony Mont -
UQlhXIbl.jpg

Hard to beat some of the kitchen offerings crafted in Japan:
Kohetsu Bunka, Moritaka Gyuto, Takada Bunka, Takumara Santoku
im1lPXKl.jpg

Couple of Kitchen beaters and practice blades for free hand sharpening:
Behenna Knives Paring, Kanatsune fruit knife
hkYbX7jl.jpg

And the EDC partner to my daily carry Fiddleback, for those folks who want to cut something w/ my knife but I know what that likely means (damage of some sort):
Opinel #8 gardner
CchfrOhl.jpg

Still reach for a Fiddleback fixed blade the most.

My winning knife that LT and Larry Roberts gave away at BLADE. Super thin with a nice forced patina. This was a special that they only made a few of. A few years ago my son won Larry's Genesis knife at BLADE. 2 of 4 years isn't that bad. Believe it or not I knew I would win right before they drew my ticket number from the bucket. Just felt it. I almost raised my arm before Larry pulled it from the container. Also both sheaths are signed by Larry.

My winning knife that LT and Larry Roberts gave away at BLADE. Super thin with a nice forced patina. This was a special that they only made a few of. A few years ago my son won Larry's Genesis knife at BLADE. 2 of 4 years isn't that bad. Believe it or not I knew I would win right before they drew my ticket number from the bucket. Just felt it. I almost raised my arm before Larry pulled it from the container. Also both sheaths are signed by Larry.

How did you force that one brother?

I like the Randall 25-5 which I have had for a long time. Had others but this is the one I will keep. CR small Sebenza is my EDC knife.

I've been collecting a bunch of old school designs recently, both vintage and modern made. Went silly on eBay hunting down old Western's, Marbles, and SOG knives the last year or so. Snagged a Sweet forged hawk from a maker right before he retired. Now I'm eyeing more classic knives and customs. As I get debts paid down I'll probably get some more forged customs/hand made knives.

I have always liked some of the knives that Lee Reeves made before he went to making hatchets. I believe he is retired now.

Back