Best 100 dollar spinning reel

For less than $100 I would also recommend a Penn Battle. If you want to save even more look at the Penn Fierce. I have used both for light saltwater and notice little difference between the two. If you maintain them either should provide years of good service. My "loaner rod" has a Gander Mtn reel on it. It has been used and abused by friends and family for several years and still going strong. It's not as smooth as a Penn but it costs less than half as much and gets the job done.

Last edited:
Just picked up a Penn Conflict 2500 for less than $100.00 from B&H, so far I really like it.

After having tried a bunch of them, my two recommendations are:
Sub $100: Pflueger President
Over $100: Shimano Stradic (either line is great, I prefer the CI4)

The Pflueger Trion and President are great reels for the money. I have 14 of the previous "white gold" versions of the Trion with the wood handle (in all the sizes), and 5 of the President in 3 different sizes. If you can find them on sale, even better. My club has a dealer account with both Pure Fishing and Rapala, so I can usually get the Pflueger reels for significantly cheaper than you'll find them in stores, but I still prefer my Diawa reels overall though they usually cost me significantly more. For what that's worth.

Shimano Symmetre or Saros - I've used both extensively in the gulf coast for redfish, trout, flounder, drum etc

Penn Battle 2 or Conflict; Ssv is out of the 100 range but also amazing reel - A bit heavier maybe not as smooth but bullet proof and Penn's service and warrant department is top notch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also try a lews speed spool inshore and a daiwa exceler in spinning. Both awesome reels that have worked good in salt for me

A real sleeper of a reel and one heck of a deal is the Shimano Sienna. These reels can be had for 30 bucks and handle braided line well. For fresh water and occasional light saltwater they work well. Just be sure to rinse well and oil after any use in the salt. I was a fly fishing and light tackle guide for 20 plus years (retired my license last year time to enjoy fishing now). Used to use Penn Reels exclusively years ago but the newer spinners are not what they used to be. Penn is now made in China and they do not handle braid lines like Shimano does. You will experience a lot more wind knots (AKA bad casting knots) with the Penns due to the design of the rotors and spools which affect line lay on the reels. Shimano has this down to a science. Best bang for the buck are the Shimano Stradic FK reels. On a whim decided to try the newer Daiwa Ballistic reels which work pretty well but I do not like the gimmicky magnetic oil and inability to open and service the reels. Again they do not handle braid lines as well as the Shimano's but are light years ahead of Penn. Alan Hawk does a good job of reviewing reels... http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/reviews.html
We consistently take juvenille Tarpon on those Siennas in the 5 -50 pound class. For 30 bucks they are worth a try.

The highest grade shimano you can get for 100 dollars. I fish a lot, dad was a guide, so in the blood. Never had a problem with my Shimano reels. There are a ton of great reel companies now, but Shimano is at the top of the list, IMO.

A real sleeper of a reel and one heck of a deal is the Shimano Sienna. These reels can be had for 30 bucks and handle braided line well. For fresh water and occasional light saltwater they work well. Just be sure to rinse well and oil after any use in the salt. I was a fly fishing and light tackle guide for 20 plus years (retired my license last year time to enjoy fishing now). Used to use Penn Reels exclusively years ago but the newer spinners are not what they used to be. Penn is now made in China and they do not handle braid lines like Shimano does. You will experience a lot more wind knots (AKA bad casting knots) with the Penns due to the design of the rotors and spools which affect line lay on the reels. Shimano has this down to a science. Best bang for the buck are the Shimano Stradic FK reels. On a whim decided to try the newer Daiwa Ballistic reels which work pretty well but I do not like the gimmicky magnetic oil and inability to open and service the reels. Again they do not handle braid lines as well as the Shimano's but are light years ahead of Penn. Alan Hawk does a good job of reviewing reels... http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/reviews.html
We consistently take juvenille Tarpon on those Siennas in the 5 -50 pound class. For 30 bucks they are worth a try.

I looked at a Sienna a while back at a local store. I was actually surprised considering the price point. Perrty smooth and tight.
My thought was after using it for a day or two it would loosen up and start getting sloppy. Maybe I was wrong

The highest grade shimano you can get for 100 dollars. I fish a lot, dad was a guide, so in the blood. Never had a problem with my Shimano reels. There are a ton of great reel companies now, but Shimano is at the top of the list, IMO.

Pretty much Sums it up :)
Unless you're fishing bait then I'd go penn

The Penn battle 2 is a bad ass reel. I have been slaughtering smallies on the French Broad river with one all summer. Have it on a 7' St Croix tidemaster medium action.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The Penn battle 2 is a bad ass reel. I have been slaughtering smallies on the French Broad river with one all summer. Have it on a 7' St Croix tidemaster medium action.
That's a great combo, light enough for freshwater bass and durable enough for bluefish, trout, and spanish in saltwater.

That's a great combo, light enough for freshwater bass and durable enough for bluefish, trout, and spanish in saltwater.
I was feeling froggy today and bought a secondary budget rig. Pfleuger president limited edition 35 on a 7'6" st. Croix triumph.

I was feeling froggy today and bought a secondary budget rig. Pfleuger president limited edition 35 on a 7'6" st. Croix triumph.
2 years ago I broke a rod on the first morning of a week long pier fishing trip. Trying to keep my wife happy with the vacation budget I bought a St. Croix Triumph. It has turned into my most used rod for jigging in saltwater.

2 years ago I broke a rod on the first morning of a week long pier fishing trip. Trying to keep my wife happy with the vacation budget I bought a St. Croix Triumph. It has turned into my most used rod for jigging in saltwater.
I had a 50.00 dollar st Croix coupon and field and stream had the triumphs on sale for 85.00 so I ended up getting the rod for 35 bucks. I think I lucked out on that one.

I like my Penn Battle II. Where I fish I might be on a bed of bass or a 80lb gar. And in salt go from a school of specks to hook a 35" bull red. It handles large and small equally. So far no complaints.

+1 :thumbup:

Like many others, I tend to splurge on the baitcasters (which I use a majority of the time) and really like Shimano. I lucked out and found a Curado in the clearance section of my local sporting goods store last summer and don't think I've touched anything since.

I planned on getting a new rod for a top water set up, but their new warranty sort of turned me away from them. That was one of the best things they had going.

Back