Best and Worst purchases of 2016

FullMetalJackass

Gold Member
Hello everyone,

I hope you all had a great year and added great knives to your stash! But sometimes it was not exactly what you were expecting...

Let's hear what you'll consider as your best and worst purchases of 2016. Try to keep it to one entry per category.

Please keep it civil. Feel free to explain, or not :)

Thanks for your time and happy holidays!

FMJ

Best: Chaves 228 Redencion

Worst: Lionsteel Kur Metamorphosis

Best would be Shirogorov Hati and worse would be Direware Hyper 90.Been carrying Hati for last few months and it is terrific knife.Great in every aspect.As far as Direware goes it is bulky and very heavy to carry.Great build but not a knife for cutting tasks.Cheers.

Ordered an Emerson CQC-7A early in 2016. The lettering was mostly missing on the blade. I have # 0470 and I've seen other ones posted on Bladeforums numbered 400-500 that are also missing writing on the blade. The wave feature was also messed up. It was more of a nub than a wave. Had it ground down since it was cheaper than sending it back.😞
My best buy was a Kershaw Blur that was mis-priced in a store. Got it for $6.95 and sold it for $50.

Best
Vintage imperial h6
Vintage sabre USA MFK for 50c ( made by colonial )
Vic pocket pal
Vic recruit

Worst
Cheapo 5$ assisted folder for my novelty knife collection.

Best
Rike 1507. (Not necessarily the best knife I purchased, but a great lesson that China is producing some really fine cutlery these days.)

Worst
Rockstead Ryo
Wow, what a disappointing lesson that sometimes your buying nothing but a name and a membership into the country club.

Best:

CF Sebenza Insingo (small) - It turns out that with the help of CF and the insingo blade shape, I've managed to warm up to the simple pleasure of the Sebenza, at least a bit.

Worst:

Munroe Sigil - A great knife to look at, neat features, terrible to actually use, though. Clip is nifty, but works poorly. Handle is a collection of brain-damaged hot spots. Pretty though.

Worst:

Munroe Sigil - A great knife to look at, neat features, terrible to actually use, though. Clip is nifty, but works poorly. Handle is a collection of brain-damaged hot spots. Pretty though.

Ive been eyeballing a Sigil for a while now, maybe I need to reconsider.....

Best, WAAAAAY to many to list!!!

Worst, by far was a Launch 1 & 3. Absolute waste of money, time and aggravation. Horrible design that Kershaw refuses to even acknowledge.

Joe

Not technically purchases because I received both as gifts, but the best of this year is probably my Rat 1. I have been wanting to see what the fuss is about, and it has not disappointed. Fantastic blade, especially for the price, as I am sure everyone here knows! (I also received a BM 710 for Christmas which is very impressive so far but too soon to call lol). Worst would be a Kershaw CQC 7K. I am sure I must have gotten a lemon, because I have heard rave reviews of the series, and have had nothing but great experiences with the brand otherwise. On the plus side, the blade on mine was flawlessly ground and razor sharp. However, out of the box the blade was so off center that it made a grinding noise on opening and closing and soon left rub marks on the blade. Furthermore, the deployment is somehow very inconsistent, which I had never experienced before. Flies out of the handle one opening, won't even flick open the next. Very odd indeed, and quite a disappointment.

Ive been eyeballing a Sigil for a while now, maybe I need to reconsider.....

Sorry, it is a really neat knife that I wanted to like. IMO, I wouldn't recommend it for actual use, but I do think it would make a lovely safe queen if you're into that sort of thing.

Not many new additions in 2016. I like them all, so how about two bests.

Northwoods Esky Zulu (Giraffe Bone)
Brous Silent Soldier Ranger V2

"two bests" is my ZT 0801BRZ...actually got two...sort of accidental.

worst? no idea

Best Byrd Cara Cara 2 in CE, a very useful knife for me

Worst GEC 15 in spear point. Made me realize I hate spear points unless they're made or designed by Bob Dozier

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Walk away. I bought a new one a month ago, flips like shit and has lock stick out of the box.

Thanks guys, Ill stay away from the Sigils. Don't want another huge disappointment like the Megaladon I bought....Worst lock stick Ive ever seen in a knife..had too pry the lock with a tool every time just to close it.

Sorry, it is a really neat knife that I wanted to like. IMO, I wouldn't recommend it for actual use, but I do think it would make a lovely safe queen if you're into that sort of thing.

If the spring clip is the only issue, I would like to add that Microtech/Marfione will be using a more "standard" machined clip for the Sigil series. I agree that the spring clip was kinda akward, but the new clips aren't bad.

There were no "hot spots" in my hands, but everyone is different:)

Best is the Spyderco Slysz Bowie.

Worst was probably the Kershaw Cryo. Not a bad purchase, just didn't quite meet the praise others had given it.

Best:
Kershaw Link 1776. This is my first "modern" as I'm mostly a traditional guy.
I've been carrying this everyday for a week. I LOVE this knife!
Case Canoe, Case Muskrat, Gec Washington #77, Schatt & Morgan pint Gunstock,
Boker Copperhead, Hen and Rooster Muskrat.

Worst:
Queen Canoe.
I've had nothing but problems with this knife from the beginning, as it just won't take an edge.
I have no problem getting an edge with ALL of my other knives but this one.
This knife won't even take an edge even with a fixed angle sharpener... it's just grind,
grind, grind... and nothing. I hate the D2 steel, makes this knife worthless to me
because I can never use it.

Best purchases: Hinderer Half Track, ZT0456 and Fiddleback Forge Bishop.

Worst purchase: A customer sent back a Spyderco Para Military II and I refunded him before really looking at the knife. Once I took a look at it I realized it was a fake. I appealed to our credit card company but they were right when they told me I should have checked it out better before refunding him. Live and learn but I own that SOB now. Going to take it to the range and shoot it in 2017!

Back