Best Budget Chef's Knife + Best Beginner's Knife?

Hello,

I'm actually asking for two different suggestions.

The first is the best chef's knife I can get by spending the minimum amount possible.

I think it might be clearer if I share my purpose...I just want to buy a better knife for my girlfriend, because her house has a really crappy fabreware (spelling?) that mashes food instead of slicing it. I tried sharpening it, but they don't even have a proper stone; only a crappy knife sharpening tool which sucks.
She likes cooking, so I'd like to do her a favor by getting her one, but I just need it to be a decent knife. I don't want to buy a nice wusthof or a global, because her roomates will undoubtedly use it, and probably abuse it. I'm looking in the range of $50, so suggestions around this price point would be nice.

Second suggestion I ask for is a chef's knife for me. I know there are plenty of suggestions out there on the web, but I'm not sure what the benefits are of one versus the other.

And this is the gay man in me coming out a little, but I prefer the aesthetics of thinner blades (by that i mean width of the knife when laid down, not the blade itself), so if you guys could suggest some knives, that'd be great. I realize it's about function and not form, but if you can have both, why not?

Also, please keep in mind that I don't mind buying used.

Thanks a lot.

First of all there is a reason that a chefs knife is wide from edge to spine. To give it rigidity. Try to slice raw carrots with a knife that is very narrow from edge to spine and it will be a extreemly hard task. The wider blades are easier to control, they are designed to not only slice but to chop as well. Also a true chefs knife makes a nice scoop for what ever. If you just chopped a bunch of onions and you just want to throw them in a pan for sautaing a bit you just place the very wide blade flat on your "end grain wooded cutting board" and then you just slide it under your chopped onions and throw them in the greased fry pan for sautaing for a nicer flavor.

Second you can get a real good chefs knife for fifty bucks. I have no problem with Rachel Rays brand of knives I suggest you google her name with knives after it and you will see what I am talking about. Or go to Smokey Mountain knife works and then search chefs knives and you will have all price ranges. I think I saw Rachels knives in there as well. I have had a hencles chefs knife for almost thirty years now and it is still like new. "well almost". It is a nice wide blade from edge to spine but I have been wanting to replace it for a more usable chefs knife with a much wider blade, much much wider.

Well I haven't told you much but a chefs knife is not a narrow blade from edge to spine. That would be a boning knife or fillet knife or the likes. So put you gay side away in some closet and buy a real chefs knife. There are very good reasons for knives listed under chefs knives in online catalogues being very wide. It would not be a chefs knife if it were not wide.

Well you did say you had a girlfriend but for me I would never make a statement as you did online. Now that you did every one will wonder as I am. There is male and female in each sames sex relationship. So be carefull how you lable yourself unless you are gay.

My opinion, my opinion only.

Kind Regards.
cajun

Disclaimer. I am in no way enforsing any name brand knife. I did not include links. I only used Rachel Rays name so he could get a good look at how a good chefs knife should be profiled. Thanks.

Last edited:
The Furi Rachel Ray knives? We have a set here, and the blades are ground thin, from thin stock, and seem to be left softer than most. I would not recommend them for use around people who might abuse them as the edge on them is fairly delicate.

Various members of my family have hit bones with them and whatnot and rolled the edge of the grind, now this is not something that one should do with a knife, but people do it all the time. IMO if the blade had been hardened a bit more it wouldn't have permanently flexed. The examples we have are very near a spring temper at best, I'd be willing to bet if I bent the blade more than ten degrees it wouldn't spring back. Great ergos on them though, overall a good design, but even cheaper Henckls or forschner chef's knife have held up better.

Shun is the name to go to if you have the cash to spend though, absolutely a pleasure to use.

I realize it's about function and not form, but if you can have both, why not?

no, you can't. not with a chefs knife. there is a reason chefs knives are all "tall". the more you use a proper knife the more you will realize why.

I´ve got two chefs knives from Victorinox and I´m very pleased with them. Easy to get super sharp and there are plenty different knives to choose from. Not to hard on your wallet as well. Take a peak HERE!

Victorinox/Forschners are the best bang-for-the-buck in kitchen knife land. I've gotten rid of all of my Henckels 4 Stars and have been using Forschners - cheap, easy to sharpen, last a long time between sharpenings, respond well to steeling, and lighter than most German knives so you don't fatigue as quickly when preparing large meals.

Victorinox/Forschners are the best bang-for-the-buck in kitchen knife land. I've gotten rid of all of my Henckels 4 Stars and have been using Forschners - cheap, easy to sharpen, last a long time between sharpenings, respond well to steeling, and lighter than most German knives so you don't fatigue as quickly when preparing large meals.

BINGO! I love my Victorinox/Forschner chef's knife and paring knives so much that I have no desire to ever upgrade. Great knives in their own right, and unbelievable when you consider how inexpensive they are. :cool::thumbup:

As a California Culinary Academy "drop out", I can say that Forschner makes great kitchen knives that can stand-up to professional restaurant work.

Since then, my collection of kitchen cutlery has expanded to include hand-forged Japanese and American makers -mostly because I'm a knife nut and can afford them now, but the Forschners have always been great to use & maintain.

Another reason why they are great for starters is that you can do some damage to them while learning the ropes of kitchen work, and they can be touched-up without any pain or anguish.

Another vote for Forschner/Victorinox with fibrox handles. I used (abused?) them when I was employed as a cook at a large urban hotel. They took a beating doing banquet prep, and sharpened easily. Easy on the wallet too.

the Swibo range is top notch, as are Globals. but neither are super cheap.

but if it's cheap and cheerful you're after: MORA!

Do you have a useable sharpening kit? Sounds like there is a knife there that just needs to be sharpened.

There is a recent thread about how some people think cheap knives are great because when they get dull you can just buy a new one.

I am a fan of inexpensive tools. My kitchen cutlery is mainly inexpensive blades.

I love the Kershaw Wasabi series. You can generally get them a bit cheaper than MSRP. I bought mine from New Graham.

I also have some cutlery from Sam's Club. The santukos are great. When I bought the Santukos they came in a two pack for under $20. The parers came in a four pack and the boning and fillet knives came in a set. Mine are the basic white poly handled commercial type. The ones I have are made by Tramontina. I see they have Dexter Russell on their website.

Both the Wasabi series and the Sam's Club blades sharpen up nice and work well for a home kitchen. They have proven to be a great value.

I sharpen them on a GATCO Professional.

Kershaw Wasabi

Good Luck

For budget priced kitchen knives it's hard to beat Dexter Russell's. There is a good reason you see them in so many commercial kitchens and fishing docks - they are well made, very durable, and relatively easy to sharpen.

DexterRussell_S145-6PCP.jpg

For budget priced kitchen knives it's hard to beat Dexter Russell's. There is a good reason you see them in so many commercial kitchens and fishing docks - they are well made, very durable, and relatively easy to sharpen.

I'll second the Dexter Russell Sani-Safe line of knives. The local butcher shop/meat market around the corner from me uses them exclusively. They started selling them (both new and their used ones).

I managed to get a F Dick Premier Plus 8" chefs knife for $50 shipped just a few weeks ago. Sadly, I can't find the merchant (in truth my parents bought it for me - I'll email them) but this knife is forged from high carbon steel and made in Solingen Germany.

I've only had it for a few weeks but it's commercial grade cutlery. It is quite heavy and has all indications of being a very fine blade. I see them being listed new on ebay and going for around $50. The knife is retailing for around $75 on other websites, and it's probably worth the $25 premium if your other options are wal-mart knives like the Rachel Ray piece.

I own a Dexter chinese meat cleaver and it's proven to be an awesome blade so +1 on the Dexter knives.

+1 on the Dexter Russells. I have a couple of pairing knives and they are great. Throw them in the dishwasher when they get dirty. Also easy to sharpen and can get screamin' sharp.

I managed to get a F Dick Premier Plus 8" chefs knife for $50 shipped just a few weeks ago. Sadly, I can't find the merchant (in truth my parents bought it for me - I'll email them) but this knife is forged from high carbon steel and made in Solingen Germany.

I've only had it for a few weeks but it's commercial grade cutlery. It is quite heavy and has all indications of being a very fine blade. I see them being listed new on ebay and going for around $50. The knife is retailing for around $75 on other websites, and it's probably worth the $25 premium if your other options are wal-mart knives like the Rachel Ray piece.

I own a Dexter chinese meat cleaver and it's proven to be an awesome blade so +1 on the Dexter knives.

Just a follow up on the F Dick 8" chef's knife. The guy I bought mine from sells them new on ebay with a $39 buy it now price. This strikes me as an outstanding bargain because you cannot find this knife for under $75 anywhere else on the internet. I'm still trying to find his website.

I'm not sure how the F Dick compares with the Dexter Russel... that would be an interesting match up and I may consider ordering one for review / comparison.

Back