Best Bushcraft nowdays

I’ve used a Randall model 15 as a general purpose knife for years. It works good as a bushcraft/woods knife. It can notch, shave, baton, and does good with the finer work as well. The semi sharpened clip I use for more abusive chores. Saves damage to the sharp edge.

I also like the double guard. It has proven useful a time or two for tasks other than protecting your hand.

The kabar kephart really has me from that functional bush beater. My only gripe with it is the $50 premium over other crovan kabars of about the same size. Honestly, I like kepharts so much I can hardly blame them.

bk62.jpg

I have a Randall 15 also. The sharpened false edge has always kept me from taking it to the woods. It's more of a "survival knife" than I would normally carry. The Blackjack (BJ) 1-7 is another one that borders on "survival" knife, but I really like it along with the BJ 125. The BJ 125 was my old woods knife and seldom used... the story of my life....

I sometimes think a true survival knife has a bit of fighting knife built into its design... sort of along the Rambo thing.

Dirc, On the BK-62, I suspect the price is a matter of multiple royalties being paid on this one. We still don't know if it is going to be a regular Becker or a limited production item. I think it's a pretty damn good choice for an all around woods blade. It feels so good in the hand.

Last edited:
I've had four small Busses...fine knives, and built for heavy-duty. But two of my Busses had spine thicknesses of 0.125" and 0.144" which are NOT considered thick at all. I would also include the Bradford Guardian3, the 3.5 or the 4" models of Bradford also...available in many excellent bladesteels.

Some really nice knives here. This isn't good for me to look at since I've decided I have all I need and there is no rational reason for me to buy any more.
Those LT Wright knives look pretty nice and if I do crack I'll probably buy one of those.
As it is for a bushcrafting combo I have a Spyderco Bradley Bowie and carry some very compact Two Cherries carving tools that fit nicely in my palm.
I can do a lot with that simple setup.

Some really nice knives here. This isn't good for me to look at since I've decided I have all I need and there is no rational reason for me to buy any more.
Those LT Wright knives look pretty nice and if I do crack I'll probably buy one of those.
As it is for a bushcrafting combo I have a Spyderco Bradley Bowie and carry some very compact Two Cherries carving tools that fit nicely in my palm.
I can do a lot with that simple setup.

I have a Randall 15 also. The sharpened false edge has always kept me from taking it to the woods. It's more of a "survival knife" than I would normally carry. The Blackjack (BJ) 1-7 is another one that borders on "survival" knife, but I really like it along with the BJ 125. The BJ 125 was my old woods knife and seldom used... the story of my life....

I sometimes think a true survival knife has a bit of fighting knife built into its design... sort of along the Rambo thing.

Dirc, On the BK-62, I suspect the price is a matter of multiple royalties being paid on this one. We still don't know if it is going to be a regular Becker or a limited production item. I think it's a pretty damn good choice for an all around woods blade. It feels so good in the hand.

The false edge on the model 15 isn’t what I would call sharp. It won’t shave or cut paper, but will split sticks and is useful for more abusive chores.

I’ve EDC carried it for quite awhile, and it has not lived an easy life. However, it is strong and reliable, lol. It does nothing great, but it does most things well. I’ve gotten my money out of it.

hi every one, i'am looking for a bushcraft knife,upgrade form barkriver aurora .customs are ok but not too rare to find.read a few topics and find out perhaps that the bark rivers and fallkniven are the best.but if someone wants to something better,what is your recommend to him?
It's not the knife nearly as much as it is the man using it.

I also vote for LT Wright.

Busse and kin are good knives but are rather poor for woodscraft, generally speaking. What makes them great for abusive task makes them poor for woodscraft, namely the thickness behind the edge. I think the swamp rat ratmandu is one of the better busse kin out there and the only one I would recommend for woodscraft. I will say though, I sold my ratmandu because I liked my LT bushcrafter mark II more. LT's brand of knives have an amazing finish and all that I've tried feel great in hand. But, LT's knives can be heavy because the handles are pretty full meaning they fill the hand nicely but that usually takes more material, so if you're more of the weight weenie type then they may not be for you.

The Becker BK62 is also a superb knife. The BK16 is great as well.

I don't know that any of these are better than the BR aurora but my preferences tends towards the wider blade of the Kephart blade shape. The aurora is pretty close, looking at the specs, I think the aurora is pushing it for blade thickness. My LT bushcrafter mark II is a little thinner and the wide blade allows more distance to taper down to a thinner edge. Honestly, I think the Mark II is my favorite of the LT's I have and I have the genesis and bushbaby and a GNS/genesis on the way. I tend to favor 5-6" blades as I love the knee lever technique and I have very large knees.

If you happen it be located in the SE Michigan area, hit me up and I can show you what I have and let you handle things in person. I can bring a few pieces of wood for you to dig into as well.

lTMKBAPl.jpg

UAAWX70l.jpg
nice collection,that's so kind of you,many thanks.

I also vote for LT Wright.

Busse and kin are good knives but are rather poor for woodscraft, generally speaking. What makes them great for abusive task makes them poor for woodscraft, namely the thickness behind the edge. I think the swamp rat ratmandu is one of the better busse kin out there and the only one I would recommend for woodscraft. I will say though, I sold my ratmandu because I liked my LT bushcrafter mark II more. LT's brand of knives have an amazing finish and all that I've tried feel great in hand. But, LT's knives can be heavy because the handles are pretty full meaning they fill the hand nicely but that usually takes more material, so if you're more of the weight weenie type then they may not be for you.

The Becker BK62 is also a superb knife. The BK16 is great as well.

I don't know that any of these are better than the BR aurora but my preferences tends towards the wider blade of the Kephart blade shape. The aurora is pretty close, looking at the specs, I think the aurora is pushing it for blade thickness. My LT bushcrafter mark II is a little thinner and the wide blade allows more distance to taper down to a thinner edge. Honestly, I think the Mark II is my favorite of the LT's I have and I have the genesis and bushbaby and a GNS/genesis on the way. I tend to favor 5-6" blades as I love the knee lever technique and I have very large knees.

If you happen it be located in the SE Michigan area, hit me up and I can show you what I have and let you handle things in person. I can bring a few pieces of wood for you to dig into as well.

lTMKBAPl.jpg

UAAWX70l.jpg

Every time you post a pic of that Mark II I drool a little, very nice knife.

thanks for recommendations. anyone had experience with lionsteel fixed blades? i know those are not so tough.but for general purpose knife what do you think about them?

I have a lionsteel M4 and while it's a stout little knife it's too thick behind the edge for me. It is very well made though.

thanks for recommendations. anyone had experience with lionsteel fixed blades? i know those are not so tough.but for general purpose knife what do you think about them?

I've not had one of their fixed bales, personally but their folders are nice. Just overall, I've heard great things about their quality. More a comment on the company rather than the fixed blades. Their designs don't do anything for me over other options, which there are a ton of, of course.

I've kind of had a resurgence of interest in more budget options lately. I picked up a Sheffield green river knife which is pretty similar to a Kephart but with a block wood handle and then a kabar USMC. I'm also on the hunt for a Marbles woodcraft style knife, marbles being far too expensive on the auction website. I'm kind of enjoying the feel of leather handles and I have a custom getting worked up by PW Customs/ @wajgy that is going to look pretty sexy, I think.

Every time you post a pic of that Mark II I drool a little, very nice knife.

It was my first LT and I got really lucky in a trade. It worked out well as the guy I traded with liked the woodlore design better and I've found the scandi grind isn't for me. I feel like the more I use knives the more I come to find a high saber grind is a nice "do-everything" for me, for my sharpening style and skills and what I use a woods knife for. It's probably close between the Mark II and the ratweiler for my favorite fixed blades for tackling nearly anything I want a knife for.

Here's a closer look. Turns out, I don't have a ton of pictures of the knife in use as I often forget my camera at home when I go for a scramble through the marshes behind my house.
aQe5BoXl.jpg

Back