Best Car Camping Cookware?

No chit noticed it down there and up here. Quite a few trunk campers. Viking.. Thanks nice pics and food

We went on a trip to Australia this year. Picked up some cooking stuff called “Hillbilly” have used it a bunch. All of it is steel. Lighter weight then cast iron and don’t have to worry if you drop it. I got a set. Comes with a big metal spike. Drive it in the ground next to your fire and the handles for all the pans and wok fit on it and holds the pot over the fire. They do ship to the US.

I bought one of those double sized griddles that's also non stick. It fits on a Coleman double burner stove and I can cook a whole lot of food at one time. I love it when the family is hungry I can load it up with burgers and dogs. Itll cook a whole pound of beacon perfectly. And only one large skillet for clean up. DG

We use a Le Creuset cocotte in our VW California camper. Yep it’s heavy but it’s like a mini oven.
We spend around 5 weeks each Summer touring Europe in it.

We use a Le Creuset cocotte in our VW California camper. Yep it’s heavy but it’s like a mini oven.
We spend around 5 weeks each Summer touring Europe in it.

You better let me know if you ever come to the North of Spain (Pais Vasco or Cantabria), as I live here (Bilbao) and will be glad to show a fellow BLADEFORUMS-FORUMITE + VWCalifornia-owner arround. If you need any suggestions about what to see or where to go, hit me!

Mikel

Actually these guys have some great tea options. Packing loose leaf tea for camping is the light weight way to go

I also like making cowboy coffee in an open kettle although I've never quite mastered using egg shells to get the grounds to drop to the bottom. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to do that technique properly from one camper to another?
So ready for parks to open back up in CA so my boys and I can do some fishing!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe no one has mentioned a small pressure cooker! Trust me, pinto beans won't cook in several hours at the Grand Canyon North Rim! A 3qt model will come up to pressure quicker with less heat and works well for me. My favorites are the EU stainless models but, a cheap aluminum model from India work well for ~$20USD.

For skillets, I tend to favor steel crepe pans or french fry pans. Lighter weight is nice even in the trunk of a car and, less mass means they heat faster on a normal camp fire. That being said, I'm happy with a cast iron skillet but, one of the double pans/skillets where the lid doubles as a griddle works well or, a double pan like the chicken cooker. Lastly, an enameled Dutch Oven finishes the cookware set with something to make acidic stews or breads with.

An enameled percolator from WalMart or almost any sporting goods or army surplus store is nice for a good cup in the morning. One with the glass lid knob is nice to watch the coffee gurgle up though it will get hot!

A bit of coffee in the bottom of a pot with a simple stir and a light boil will work well if you let it settle and pour gently.

Back