Best car chases of all time

Got to go with the French Connection....No CGI or special effects....and very claustrophobic under the L-train....and when he almost hit the lady with the baby carriage I almost soiled myself.....lol

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.

Blues Brothers just for the fun of it, Ronin, Bullit and French Connection for being the most believable and yet unbelievable at the same time. As for Bond movies, I would think seriously about the scene in For Your Eyes Only when Bond is driving Carol Boquet's Citroen 2CV down the mountain with that cat that looked like Warren Zevon chasing him. And how about one chase scene that didn't involve just cars? The boat chase in Live And Let Die.

Got to go with the French Connection....No CGI or special effects....and very claustrophobic under the L-train....and when he almost hit the lady with the baby carriage I almost soiled myself.....lol

I agree with you; though I think it was the B train not the L.

I listened to Friedkin's commentary on the new DVD, and it's really amazing.
They were able to get the chase scene done in a way that would never be allowed today. He said he was very inspired by the great chase scene from Bullitt with McQueen through SF. Wanted to do an even better one, with a "twist". And the "twist" was chasing a train.

Great scene, great director, GREAT movie. :thumbup:

Just for fun....I just saw a blurb that Ford is going to offer a "Bullit" special Mustang.
Painted up and styled to look like McQueen's custom job in the film.
Now considering the age of the movie, and the likely price, I imagine this vehicle is geared more to folks my age than the "18-24" demographic...

I read a biography of Mr. McQueen shortly after his death, and they described what they went through to shoot the famous chase scene. They had three each of McQueen's Mustang and the bad guys' Charger, and all three were junk at the end of the shoot.
All the cars were set up as racing vehicles; dual shocks per wheel, racing seats and internal roll bars, stripped interiors, etc. One "looker" each for closeups.

I'd have to put 'French Connection" first since it took place in my old home town and I knew all the streets !! Second would be 'Ronin' which was very good also as a shoot'em up.

Bullitt and French Connection, both great choices. Along with those my favorite is probably Dirty Mary Crazy Larry.

KR

Bullitt and French Connection for sure. I agree with most of the others on the list too, especially T2 and Ronin.

Mad Max should have been on the list...

There was one particular James Bond car chase that stands out in my mind but I don't know which movie. Anyone help out with this? Two cars chasing alongside the canals in Holland (or wherever). There's a bridge out, both ends twisted and the center gone. The one car uses the twisted bridge remains to ramp off across the canal and aligns perfectly with the twist on the other side of the canal. I've never seen that done in any other movie.

And there's the Jackie Chan (Police Story?) car chase down a hillside that demolishes an entire shantytown. And Rumble in the Bronx with an exotic and a giant hovercraft. Not particularly realistic, but fun to watch.

-Bob

I just watched Children Of Men the other night and it had an outstanding scene where a car is ambushed and chased by a mob and two men on a motorcycle. It was all done in one amazing shot that must have lasted five minutes, it goes from comedy to action to tragedy without a cut or pause.

Another vote for Bullitt.

And, of course, the Honorable Mention Award has to go to the TV show CHIPs. Every week they just plain brought it with yet another awesome "high speed" freeway chase. Judging by how quickly the dashed lane stripes flashed by on the screen, I'm guessing that those professional stunt drivers were reaching speeds in excess of 25 or maybe even 30 mph! How did they do it? ;):D

There was one particular James Bond car chase that stands out in my mind but I don't know which movie. Anyone help out with this? Two cars chasing alongside the canals in Holland (or wherever). There's a bridge out, both ends twisted and the center gone. The one car uses the twisted bridge remains to ramp off across the canal and aligns perfectly with the twist on the other side of the canal. I've never seen that done in any other movie.

I believe they were supposed to be in Thailand or some other SEAsian country in that scene. I wanna say the movie was The Man With the Golden Gun.

The best thing about Chips was the opening scene car wrecks. That was drivers education right there, and I love how the disco would stop while the cars were airborne.

Back