Best chef knife under $150

Nice! I've always wondered why there were so many nice forged Japanese knives with such basic handles and now I know! Here is my Fuji...it's not a bad handle by any means but it is pretty basic relative to the blade itself. (I've recently been thinking about re-handling it.)

View attachment 1373821

Working Japanese knife handles are meant to be replaced as they stain and wear. Many chefs replace them annually. Below is a link as an example of what may be available.

https://www.epicedge.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=1004&cat=Replacement+Handles

If I’m not mistaken the tang is also carbon? Makes sense to get in there on a regular basis and check for rust.

You are correct. Some guys do it routinely after a shift as they wash down their work spaces. Wood swelling from moisture as well as corrosion are both issues. These tools require maintenance.

This may not be the best spot to place this question, but I'm new here and don't know my way around the maze yet.

Does anyone here use the "machi" as a finger choil? Is it well-suited and comfortable for that purpose? I know a lot would depend on the particular knife (and the person holding it), but in general, Are they useful enough to warrant selecting a knife with a machi for that purpose?

How is the machi used as a finger choil? It’s a vestigial gap left from traditional sword making.

Thanks for your reply. I have reviewed the various theories of its origins. My questions is really one of possible usage. Whatever its origins may be, Has anyone found that a machi can be at all useful as stated above?

In other words, if you want to choke up on the blade, Might a machi be of some practical use? Or would it just make the grip awkward or uncomfortable?

I’m in the market for my first decent chef knife. I tried the 8” Shun classic at the store and I really liked the fit and the finish. Looking at the reviews online people don’t speak high of them. If Shun is overpriced, what can I buy under $150? Does it worth to pay a bit more and get something let’s say in 2-300 dollar range? I spend a lot on hunting knives (some I never end up using!) but I don’t have any decent kitchen knives.
Thank you all for your help!

Have you considered a Miyabi? Maybe a Kaizen for example?

I’m in the market for my first decent chef knife. I tried the 8” Shun classic at the store and I really liked the fit and the finish. Looking at the reviews online people don’t speak high of them. If Shun is overpriced, what can I buy under $150? Does it worth to pay a bit more and get something let’s say in 2-300 dollar range? I spend a lot on hunting knives (some I never end up using!) but I don’t have any decent kitchen knives.
Thank you all for your help!

Are you capable of sharpening your own knives?
Do you require stainless or is reactive okay?
Do you prefer western or Japanese wa handle?
Are you looking for 210mm or 240mm? 240 is more common in pro kitchen and may resell faster, 210 may be better in home kitchen with limited space and is less expensive.
Do you prefer a thin laserish blade that drops through food but may have more food stick to the blade or do you prefer a thicker workhorse type blade that may split veggies but food more easily falls off the blade?
Many Japanese knives are right hand biased. Are right or left handed?

These are just a few questions you should consider before you purchase your kitchen knife.
There is a wide range of good knives in the $200 - $300 range.

You are new to kitchen knives and do not yet know what your preferences are. I would recommend you stay away from the Shun knives and get something from a common Japanese maker that will have a high resell value, as you may find you don't prefer the particular knife.
Mazaki, Takeda, Watanabe, Tanaka, Gesshin, Konosuke, Toyama, Gengetsu, are a few you can look up. Mac makes a lower priced chef that is more western style you may like.

LPoXP27.jpeg

konosuke-konosuke-sanjo-gt-240mm-gyuto-sld-nashiji.jpg

Here is the choil shot of a Wusthof and a Konsuke. The thickness behind the edge is where you will see a huge performance difference between European and Japanese knives, along with steel hardness.

I would buy as large of chef knife as I could get for the $150 and I would buy a Wusthof or Henckels 4 or 5 start chef knife. There are good buys on eBay. This is currently what I use. I have 4 or 5 chef knives in lots of sizes in Wusthof and Henckels 4-star. I don't feel like 1 size will cover it all but bigger is better in my way of thinking. I am just a home cook.

best performing knife ive come across under 150 was a harukaze 180mm blade, had a ssuper blue core steel and stainless cladding.

Back