Best chopper?

So im looking for the heaviest duty Kukri i can get, i live up in Idaho and when i get firewood or even walk thru my land i have to cut trails so it will need to go thru live conifer thick branches, not too many smaller branches and maybe some frozen branches if im getting wood this time of year.

What would you recommend?

cak
bonecutter
ganga ram special

the bonecutter is 1 of hardest to get

cak has best warranty

so are you looking for the heaviest duty-khukuri? or the most heavy-duty khukuri :p
just about any of the big 20" models will probably work, models with more curve tend to be a tad harder to wield but are going to be more efficient if you use them correctly, models with additional metal in the handle are going to be heavier and less forward weighted , though in chopping this can be a negative...
the M43 might be a good one to look at, I’ve read some forumites comparing its performance to axes

be careful with frozen wood, if the wood is still solid (like good firewood) then it should be fine, but if it gets mushy rotten, then wet, then frozen it can take on the properties of concrete....

One of the ways to look at this is to start off by eliminating what won't work.

The smaller 15" models such as the BAS and 15 Ang Khola are easier to carry but would require more effort with prolonged use. I'm not saying they won't work but you can think of them like a small folding camp hatchet, they can get the job done in a pinch but not what you would take for a day of hard work.

The 20" Ganga Ram and Super CAK are (in my opinion) really novelties and are much too large for most people. I have a large Ganga Ram and have yet to find anyone that can use it. The handles are as large or larger than most ax handles and cause lots of hand fatigue and they never feel comfortable or secure. These models are also very very heavy. Again you can think of them as carrying a full sized ax to prune your rose bush.

That leaves the 16.5 - 18" models. They are big enough to do most jobs and yet light enough to make carrying them a realistic possibility. The most popular models in this class are the ASTK, Bonecutter, Ganga Ram & CAK. The M43 is thought of as a jack of all trades but even though this is my favorite model in its current configuration it is not the tool it once was but, it is still a consideration.

There may be some other models that are this same size that may even look alike but the models listed above are what the kamis (blacksmiths) consider working models as opposed to others that everyone assumes will live out their lives on someones desk. This is important because you have to remember that a human being is making these tools and on some models more attention is given to carving the pretty handle than worrying about the hardness of the blade. Likewise, on models that are considered "tools" less attention is given to "pretty" and much more goes to balance, feel and construction.

Now to be fully honest, a small forest ax would be as good or better in many situations as any kukri. That being said, most of the people on this forum just prefer to use a kukri just like some people prefer to hunt deer with less efficient bow when the rifle is available.

***When you order your kukri be sure to tell them that you want it for work and you want a village (satin) finish on the blade rather than the polished blade. In carbon steel, the polish will be ruined quickly leaving you with a half shined, half satin finsh that looks nasty. The polishing also softens the carbon steel making the edge harder to manage, especially in the beginning. Lasty, I wouldn't get all hung up on the full tang issue, for centries the vast majority of the models have been made with a stick tang and they obviously work. I'm not saying that you shoudn't get one with a full tang, just don't get hung up on it. My favorite HI kukri (by far) is the Bonecutter, which is a full tang but in this case it works and is very nicely balanced.

Good luck on your search!

Edit: Here is a perfect example of a kukri NOT working. This is the product of adding a full tang to a design made for a stick tang, which changes the balance to the handle and takes away from the chopping ability of this kukri. The edge bevel is also partly to blame here, its design literally stops the kukri from penetrating more than an 1/8 of an inch on each strike. A Bonecutter (or just about any of the 18" models mentioned above) would chop this branch in less than half the strokes. If you are familiar with good working models you can close your eyes and hear that this kukri is not working and feel the vibration in the hand. (This is obviously not an HI model, the HI BAS will be properly balanced and chop much better than this one)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC2dGZD5ngA

(***Karda, if adding this link is an issue I will remove this edit. I am not trying to bad mouth any other company, just pointing out the design issues that make or don't make a good chopper)

Last edited:
in its current configuration it is not the tool it once was but, it is still a consideration.

I keep hearing people say things to this effect and yet I have no clue why it keeps getting said, Ive only recently gotten into HI and I have yet to recieve one that is made to "sit on a desk" even my sirupati came with an extremely hard edge and high level of worksmanship in the blade

I also think that your youtube link is more of a good example of what happens when you chop without a backstop six feet up on a dead sapling (though he probably would have been even better off just breaking it in pieces in a tree fork or by stomping it)

oh and yes, a khukuri is definently a jack of all trades, yet still master at a few, people dont carry khukuris into the woods because they like the challenge of using something less efficient, rather they want the capeabilities of a tool that can adapt into a larger range of uses

Issun,

There are many different models of kukri offered by HI, and yes, some of them are made for the show case or your desk. Few people would buy a $200.00+ carved handled kukri with a highly polished blade to be a user. You keep hearing it because its true. And btw the "Sirupate" you used in your example "is" a traditional working blade, not some sort of show model. Its supposed to come with a good hard working blade.

Your quote from my post was incomplete: "The [M43] is thought of as a jack of all trades but even though this is my favorite model in its current configuration it is not the tool it once was but, it is still a consideration." I was speaking about a specific model, not a generalization about all kukri and I don't think you will find many familiar with the M43 that will argue with my point. Virtually every thread about the M43 points to a desire to return it to its original specs.

People choose to use a kukri for their own personal reasons, but it would be hard to argue that they are more efficient at "anything" compared to modern day tools. I love them as much as anyone but in head-to-head tests they would certainly come up second almost 100% of the time. We use them because we love them, period. Just imagine Gransfor Bruks making all the excuses about product failures that you see on all the kukri forums! "Sorry your new ax failed while you were in the woods and needed it most but was is cold? Or hot? Or dry? Or wet? Did you hit a knot? Maybe the polishing made the edge soft." They would go out of business! The kukri is for the most part exactly as I stated in the bow comparison, a personal choice to use a traditional tool regardless if there are modern tools that are better.

My post was simply my way of helping someone narrow down models to fit their request. The post focused on taking out models that wouldn't work in the that situation and giving the person some models to choose from that would work. I use a kukri just about as much as anyone I know, and everything I said comes from that experience. I also sell them and get feedback from customers as well as make sheaths for them so I think I get a pretty well rounded picture of what works and what doesn't in the field. I was just trying to relay that and clearly stated that it was my opinion but, if I posted something incorrect let me know and I will change it.

Last edited:
There is no best.

How big are you? How do you plan to carry it? What balance between weight and chopping ability are you seeking?

For cutting live branches and clearing trail I've found a relatively light khukuri suits my needs. I would by no means call it the best chopper though.

There is no best.

How big are you? How do you plan to carry it? What balance between weight and chopping ability are you seeking?

For cutting live branches and clearing trail I've found a relatively light khukuri suits my needs. I would by no means call it the best chopper though.

Im not a big guy but i work a physical job so as long as it weighs less than a chainsaw im good. I plan on carrying it on my belt but when im out in the woods i always have my Ruger Blackhawk in a shoulder holster so its sort of like a baldric.

As for the balance in weight, i want as much chopping ability as i can get, weight is a distant 2nd concern.

but if it gets mushy rotten, then wet, then frozen it can take on the properties of concrete....

I work in concrete actually, frozen wood is hard but nowhere near as hard as concrete. Plus ive been using a cold steel kukri machete made out of 1055 and it hasnt rolled or chipped so as long as the Kukri is harder than that ill be fine.

The only one of my HI Khuks that I actually use is a 16.5-inch CAK. Bigger isn't necessarily better; chopping is largely about technique, and I believe that blade velocity is more important than blade weight. Force = mass * acceleration, and acceleration = velocity ^ 2; therefore, while force is directly proportional to mass, it is proportional to the square of velocity -- blade speed wins. Once you have a blade that is "big enough" to bite, it's better to strike at the right point and with the right part of the blade. A lighter blade will be easier to control as well as being faster at impact and less tiring to your hand (which will probably tire faster than your arm). Also, if you're hiking (as opposed to riding an ATV), even a 16.5-inch CAK will be more weight than many would allocate to a knife (it will be smaller, but have a thicker blade than your CS machete, and be noticeably heavier). That's my 2-cents.

Last edited:
I feel like a real freak here! To me any Khukuri under 40 oz. just doesn't work for me. I much prefer mass over velocity, this seems to make for more accurate and safer cutting. I like to keep them razor sharp which also means they are very high maintenance. An example would be my 22" GRS at 56 oz. will slice through 3" alder ware as a 30" AK at 84 oz. can slice through 5" alder. It's so much fun limbing a tree with the AK but way easier a chain saw.

I like to keep them razor sharp which also means they are very high maintenance. An example would be my 22" GRS at 56 oz. will slice through 3" alder ware as a 30" AK at 84 oz. can slice through 5" alder. It's so much fun limbing a tree with the AK but way easier a chain saw.

That sounds dangerous.
Flying Razor at 84Oz? Please practice good safety my friend. You could hurt real bad.

That thing really keeps me on my toes! Lots of serious though goes into every swing! No room for error.

Poor technique makes even a Khuk perform poorly.
I think bladeright has given excellent suggestions.

The type of wood you chop/split has a lot to do with performance, too. I've had some pines and all sweetgums strongly resist all efforts at splitting, due to interlocking grain.
My Fiskars 2.5 pound axe limbs out freshly felled sweetgums quicker than a chainsaw, yet the same tree spits out splitting wedges and deflects splitting mauls like they were super bounce balls.

Where am I going with this?
I have no clue. Just a scattered smattering of thoughts that are somehow related to the matter at hand.

BTW, I noticed Khukuri House being referred to as KHHI on Goobtube. Hmmm, is someone trying to take advantage of brand familiarity (HI), and possibly fool unsuspecting buyers into buying a KH Khuk, making them think they're getting an HI Khuk?
I must wonder.

I almost bought a KH Khuk, before I learned about HI. Then I learned of HI. Then, it was a matter of deciding which one.
Then, the Bonecutter spoke to me.
Dunno about bones, but it works well as a woodcutter. Not gonna try cutting bone with it.

Last edited:
The only one of my HI Khuks that I actually use is a 16.5-inch CAK. Bigger isn't necessarily better; chopping is largely about technique, and I believe that blade velocity is more important than blade weight. Force = mass * acceleration, and acceleration = velocity ^ 2; therefore, while force is directly proportional to mass, it is proportional to the square of velocity -- blade speed wins. Once you have a blade that is "big enough" to bite, it's better to strike at the right point and with the right part of the blade. A lighter blade will be easier to control as well as being faster at impact and less tiring to your hand (which will probably tire faster than your arm). Also, if you're hiking (as opposed to riding an ATV), even a 16.5-inch CAK will be more weight than many would allocate to a knife (it will be smaller, but have a thicker blade than your CS machete, and be noticeably heavier). That's my 2-cents.

I find that with heavier blades i dont have to use as much force and its less tiring. I use other blades than the CS Kukri as well, its just the softest blade steel i have and have used. Ive also got a Condor Golok that im pretty impressed with along with a couple others.

Heavier choppers tend to bounce less. Split wood with a six pound maul and then try it with an eight pound maul. The eight pound maul hits with much more authority.
Higher velocity is nice, but a lighter blade doesn't have the inertia to continue through the wood like a heavier blade does.
The heavier blade appears more tiring to use, because it's heavier, but it requires fewer hits to do the job.

The best chopper in the HI lineup, from my limited experience, is the Ganga Ram model.

The best chopper in the HI lineup, from my limited experience, is the Ganga Ram model.

Of all that I have used, a GR forged by old Ganga is the best chopper. I hesitated to mention it in this thread because of its weight. I have never chosen it for clearing trail. It does chopping duty around the homestead and sometimes serves with a partner as a sharp Indian Club for exercising.

And then there is the individuality of all each knife. I've never seen another kami quite reach Ganga Ram's mastery with this design, although some come close.

Wow, Howard, you are fortunate indeed to have an original, made by the old man himself. I no longer have mine, and I don't remember whose mark was on it.
It was the best pure chopper I have used, but not the best all-around khuk.

Heavier choppers tend to bounce less. Split wood with a six pound maul and then try it with an eight pound maul. The eight pound maul hits with much more authority.
Higher velocity is nice, but a lighter blade doesn't have the inertia to continue through the wood like a heavier blade does.
The heavier blade appears more tiring to use, because it's heavier, but it requires fewer hits to do the job.

I found this with my 22" dui churra, it lacks the speed of my 18" models but when it hits it hits...hard. So there is an nice middle ground like there is in all things.

Back