Best chopper?

By far my best chopper is an HI special order M43. It was having issues due to what appeared to be a thin edge, but bit into wood like it was possessed by a sap guzzling vampire! At 19" and a hair under 2 pounds, it is about the largest khuk I would really want to use. It doesn' need anymore length or weight. The long handle also allows one to change grip location or add a second hand. It really is a superb tool. It is pictured along with a sort of chiruwa Bhojpuri (I call it my B43 for Bhojpuri-43:)) HI made a couple of. It would likely be an awesome chopper, but it's 36 oz. and very forward weighted, it's too much of a good thing for my arm. In short, were I going out on an all out tree assualt, I would have my big HI M43 in tow.

M43 on the right.
Bhojpure001.jpg

Issun, the current M43 is very unlike the historical Mk. II M43. Some of the early HI M43s seemed to be close, looking at the specs in the archives. Bill has long been a proponent of HI bringing out a true Mk. II. I love my big HI M43, but the original was a very different animal and I would love to see HI recreate some.

that is a sweet picture Jdk, yea I completely misunderstood what shortwinger was saying and went off on a bit of an embarassing tirade

have any of the other HI models with historic names been beefed up over time? I know that the current HI BAS is far heavier than any British army issue khukuri, but was the HI version much lighter in the past? from what ive seen on the DOTD there is also a large range of weights within each model, like the 17.5" 20 ounce kobra that I just bought being wayy beefier than some of the 1" per ounce kobras that have come up in some other recent DOTD's... (not complaining I wanted a thicker kobra to match my sirupati so I pounced on that one) Has this range of weights changed over time for each model? it would be interesting if someone had a database of khukuris by dimensions weight type kami and year made to put something quantifiable on "the good ol' days"

I'm surprised this one hasn't been made in a VERY long time.
The height of bevel and the curved spine of Ghopte looks like it's in constant wood-famine.

Lovely handle isn't it?
chrisGhopte.jpg

15 inches even and just under 2 1/2 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick.

I'm surprised this one hasn't been made in a VERY long time.
The height of bevel and the curved spine of Ghopte looks like it's in constant wood-famine.

Lovely handle isn't it?
chrisGhopte.jpg

15 inches even and just under 2 1/2 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick.

thats a sweet looking small chopper. nice handle too

If your goal is trail building a chainsaw or a battery powered sawzall are great tools. Small axe, small bowsaw or a small Fiskar pruning lopper are also tops on my list. To avoid batteries or gas check issues check out the line of Fiskar tools available. If you are clearing brush and an occasional tree branch - 16 inch and up Kuk is very usable. Remember safety first.

If your goal is trail building a chainsaw or a battery powered sawzall are great tools. Small axe, small bowsaw or a small Fiskar pruning lopper are also tops on my list. To avoid batteries or gas check issues check out the line of Fiskar tools available. If you are clearing brush and an occasional tree branch - 16 inch and up Kuk is very usable. Remember safety first.

Dear Sir,

we are discussing khuk application here.
I do agree chainsaw and axe will do a good job. Light sabers too.

I don't think you want to wield a full size Angkhola to clear brush and i'm certain it could chop through a good sized log.

The brush is so thick that a sawzall will weep in terror and dragging around a chainsaw is unweildy and frankly sucks. A good machete/kukri/chopper works for better than anything else ive tried.

In my limited experience, my 18" (Baby)Ganga Ram Special is my best chopper. Have fun in your search theAntihero.

Good to see you posting Mike L. Hope all is well with you.

Rick

I was just out chopping in the nice weather today, by far my best chopper hands down is my Sgt Khadka Bonecutter

Well Howard it looks like it has a Salyan cho. If it is about 20" long, 2 15/16" wide, 5/8" thick and 3.5 pounds, then I'd say you've got a Super there. Not many of them made and first shipped to Bill in July 1999. Congratulations, and no doubt there is chopping potential there.

I bought 3 HI kuris I took one camping last year and it did not last more than 1 hour chopping some fire wood before the Damn thing broke in half and the blade part went up in the air almost landing on my head! I still have both pieces saved this thing look rock solid it was a great disappointment not to say dangerous and unreliable! My advice to you buy yourself an axe!
I have pictures if you would like to see them.

I bought 3 HI kuris I took one camping last year and it did not last more than 1 hour chopping some fire wood before the Damn thing broke in half and the blade part went up in the air almost landing on my head! I still have both pieces saved this thing look rock solid it was a great disappointment not to say dangerous and unreliable! My advice to you buy yourself an axe!
I have pictures if you would like to see them.

Did you discuss the issue with Auntie Yangdu? What did she say?
Did you give her the chance to make things right and you a satisfied customer?
You should send the pics to her and give her the chance before posting them here.

Replacing the knife does not take away that the damn thing could of killed me if it would of landed on my head, and that is my reason to be upset!
anyone can ruin a knive if is abused but if your "half inch thick knive" breaks at the tang on your first 10 chops it is nothing less than dissapoiting !!!!!
like I said earlier I owned a few other HI's but since then they just hang on my wall, after alliance do love the fact that they are made by hand and how much work and skills took to put together.
i hope nobody takes offence over my post again i can take pictures of my paper weight if you want to see it.
this is my personal opinion based on my own personal experience as a consumer !!!!

Hello tao_m,

Replacing the knife does not take away that the damn thing could of killed me if it would of landed on my head...

First, I'm very glad that you weren't injured and hope for your continued good health. Bill Martino, the operator of Himalayan Imports until his death, developed a means for testing out a newly arrived khukuri to ensure that it was ready for field work. Here is the most recent post that speaks of Bill's "whack test"; http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/869574-Help-!-Damaged-20-quot-Thirtha-made-AK-from-DOTD?highlight=whack+test
Bill realized that as skilled as they are, the kamis are human and the chances of something going awry was always a possibility. He tested as many khukuris that were shipped to him as he could and eventually shared his test methods to the Forumites so that they could test on their own. If you are so inclined and get a chance to, take your other HI khukuris and carefully run them through a whack test to ensure their suitability for use.

...but if your "half inch thick knive" breaks at the tang on your first 10 chops it is nothing less than dissapoiting !!!!!...

I can understand your disapointment, especially under the circumstances that the disappointment was made manifest. But what Karda was trying to say was to contact Yangdu with information on the failure of your khuk so that she could make good on a flawed product. Yangdu is Bill Martino's wife and the daughter of the Nepalese man that runs the manufacturing end of the business, BirGorkha. She works hard both for us in supplying us with the khukuris that we want and for the kamis and their families in BirGorkha's employ by supplying them with a good wage and educational opportunities for their children. She cares for her customers and wants them safe and happy. If you've experienced a blade failure through no fault of your own, please let her know so that she can make it good for you. I know that she cares for our safety and satisfaction.

This Forum is a sharing place for us all and we welcome all to share their khukuri experiences, both good and bad. This sharing can alert us to situations, conditions and possibilities that we hadn't considered before and result in us all having a safer and happier khukuri experience. In other words, we would have been glad to hear from you regarding your blde failure. At one time, everyone on this Forum has had the excitement of getting their first khukuri. While this is a wonderful feeling, it is our responsibility to learn what we can about the khuk and its safe use. Any information, no matter how many times it seems to be repeated, is welcome for the benfit of all. The Safety Sticky on the HI Forum is there for all of our benefit since we'll all have a khuk in our hand. My guess is that the "whack test" isn't there since blade failure is such a rarity from HI products. (Think I'm rambling now.)

Anyway tao, you interjected into this thread in a fashion that didn't seem to fit its title. It seemed negative and didn't even include the model of khuk that failed on you. We're all just trying to get along, with ourselves and each other. Let us know your experiences with your khukuris, both good and bad. Please, contact Yangdu and let her know what has happened. If you'd like to come back to this Forum and hang out, we'd love to have you. This is a great bunch of folks and we're always looking to increase our numbers.

Peace

Rick

Back