Best compound bow for the price?

Sounds like a pretty good deal! This will be my first year bow hunting as well. I went with a PSE Stinger 3G that was on sale (technically it was a Christmas present from my father in law but I picked it out). I got it so late in the season I really didn't have time to get it ready and prep myself so I waited until a few weeks ago and got some help from a guy at one of our guys at a local store and that helped me immensely. It is really fun to shoot. I only have my first pin set in so far but I have mainly been focusing on my draw and release because I still have a month until the season comes in.

I was actually out this weekend clearing some bushes and figuring out my stand location.

Any pics of your setup? I will try and post up mine this evening.

Its out for delivery today. :D Will be back with pics. Would definately like to see that PSE. :thumbup: Though im sure will put mine to shame.:DI still have no idea what im doing or what is what just trying to firgure things out as i go along and as fast as possible while not getting anything wrong. Borderline losing it trying to get everything ready. So much still gotta get and do. I think I can bow hunt from Sept to Dec which is awesome though hoping can get one in first couple weeks and have everything ready to go by then. I still am not sure of all the regulations.

Went to lunch yesterday with my family and asked my stepdad what knid of bow he got from one of nephews last year for xmas and he told me it was a Matthews!:eek: Probably worth at least a grand or more. He hasnt shot it yet.:rolleyes::D He doesnt bow hunt.

Its out for delivery today. :D Will be back with pics. Would definately like to see that PSE. :thumbup: Though im sure will put mine to shame.:DI still have no idea what im doing or what is what just trying to firgure things out as i go along and as fast as possible while not getting anything wrong. Borderline losing it trying to get everything ready. So much still gotta get and do. I think I can bow hunt from Sept to Dec which is awesome though hoping can get one in first couple weeks and have everything ready to go by then. I still am not sure of all the regulations.

Went to lunch yesterday with my family and asked my stepdad what knid of bow he got from one of nephews last year for xmas and he told me it was a Matthews!:eek: Probably worth at least a grand or more. He hasnt shot it yet.:rolleyes::D He doesnt bow hunt.

Yep. New Mathews are around $1000 new for the bare bow. That's why all of my Mathews with the exception of the new HeliM I got last season, have been used... The Drenalin I bought a few weeks ago is used, but other than one very small spot around the grip where the finish is worn, it would easily pass for a new bow.
Mathews, Bowtech and Hoyts are roughly the same price. Don't let if bother you to much though. They don't kill animals any better than a $300 bow.

Lots of practice, good form, being able to judge distance and using a quality broadhead are all far more important than the name on the bow. If you miss an animal with a $300 PSE, you will still miss it with a Mathews.

Came in. All around does feel/look pretty good but think this is gonna take even more effort and practice than anticipated. Didn't have a extra sight and the broadheads that he had in the pictures are missing also which not really happy about but....

Also kinda pissed didn't fill the case with some bubble wrap or something arrows where tossed around.

Anyways here it is. Look alright? I have no idea what to look for and will probably take it into a shop soon. Will probably attempt to shoot it this week just to try first and then bring it in though.

Hey what are some quality cheap broadheads you guys would recommend?

Also are the top arrows gold tips? Have the logos been stripped maybe. They dont feel as good as the Eastons. The Lumenoks are pretty cool.

1438635137784_zpswdvqs3q0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
1438635293486_zpsyvrhfmdh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
1438636340666_zpsjkgsujzi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
1438636382221_zpsznypq1pw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
1438636419960_zpshekak5ef.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
1438636468753_zpscv1eufue.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
1438636509476_zpsytsdm4vo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
1438636881057_zpsfnguyy4f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
1438636918035_zpsvoxubs6e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
1438636960452_zpsp29tzpvx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wow, nice looking setup. Actually that is the same release I got and considering how much I paid for mine for what you got in the whole setup it was definitely worth it. Looks great!! When I got started shooting I set in my first pin and do most of my practice shooting from 20 yards. I mainly work on my draw, release, and trying not to dip the bow too much with my support arm. I should have some pics in a bit, still haven't made it home yet.

One tip my father in law gave me on shooting: We set up the box target and put an arrow in the ground in front center. It gives a smaller target to aim for. Most of my arrows went just to the right or left but my first 10 shots after regular shooting vs his method tightened my groups considerably.

For broad heads, I went with Swacker 2 blade and a Grim Reaper 3 blade, both 2" cut to try two different kinds.

My only advice, shoot like you would do weight reps, shoot a bunch, then rest. as soon as you are shaky, you are no longer learning as much. If your form starts to suffer (like your draw elbow starts to drop) then take a break. Better than wearing yourself out. Keep the bow hand relaxed, and watch closely for string kisses. figure out your form, and don't worry about hitting anything until your form is natural and instinctive. Shandrydan is right, the smaller the target, the tighter your focus is going to be. I prefer a small sharpie mark instead of risking hitting arrows (I only shoot one arrow per bull)

You may find those two shafts shoot different, or you may not, try to minimize variables and see what you come up with. good luck!

My main advice would be to shoot kinda like you would do weights. Shoot a bunch, then rest. As soon as you are shaky or your form starts to fade, stop and rest. Better to shoot a few really good, than build bad habits like droopy elbows or a death-grip bow hand because you were tired. Worry about getting your form feeling good and natural before worrying about point of impact. Consistency before accuracy. Also, know how long you have to take the shot. try pushing them out longer and longer to see where you loose control of it. Obviously this is for later, once everything else is good, but for hunting it will help you have something else to focus on, so that you don't wait too long, then rush a winger.
Shandrydan1 is right. The smaller your target, the tighter your focus will be. I prefer sharpy marks, instead of risking arrow hits, and only shoot one arrow per bull.

BEFORE YOU DRAW THE BOW BACK, OR SHOOT IT, TAKE IT TO A SHOP AND HAVE THEM CHECK IT OUT FOR YOU...

I can't tell for sure, but there are some white lines on the side of the limbs that look like cracks. They may just be scratches, but considering where they start, which is at the cam axle, it looks like cracks in the limbs....

Compound bows have a lot of stress in them when they are drawn back. A cracked limb can cause the bow to explode in your hands, and the injuries can be very serious...

Last edited:
I use a Bear Apprentice 2. 60#, 28". Upgrade with a Black-Gold sight, and you can split arrows with the cheap walmart ones. I was doing this at 30 yards or so. I am able to make a kill shot on a 3D deer at 50 or so yards, using a single arrow.

I agree about taking it to a shop. I am on a small laptop and it is hard to tell but I think I see what 338375 is talking about on the limbs. Even if they are all good you can get into a shop, they can help you make sure the draw length is good for you and that the draw weight is accurate, which is what they helped me with. Mine was supposed to come set for 70# and it was right about 65#. Also around here the couple I know of have an indoor range which is about $5 to use. This is personal preference also but I had my D loop adjusted so it is closer to the string. Here are the pics of my PSE.

Last edited:
Yep check those limbs with a magnifying glass. Any fractures and the limbs are toast. Might have been dryfired. Hope not

BEFORE YOU DRAW THE BOW BACK, OR SHOOT IT, TAKE IT TO A SHOP AND HAVE THEM CHECK IT OUT FOR YOU...

I can't tell for sure, but there are some white lines on the side of the limbs that look like cracks. They may just be scratches, but considering where they start, which is at the cam axle, it looks like cracks in the limbs....

Compound bows have a lot of stress in them when they are drawn back. A cracked limb can cause the bow to explode in your hands, and the injuries can be very serious...

I'll do that. I don't think their cracks but never know. There is some dings and paint missing/scratching. Really dont knwo what to look for in things being wrong/off. The seller was a older guy that said he had to start using a crossbow cause wasnt up for the compound anymore. Seems like a straight shooter and dont think he would treat his stuff bad or intentsionally rip me off, but never know. It would be good to actually get my exact measurements anyways besides having them expect it. Worried about how much they"ll charge me for these services though. Keep running out of money here. Bow hunting is not cheap.

I agree about taking it to a shop. I am on a small laptop and it is hard to tell but I think I see what 338375 is talking about on the limbs. Even if they are all good you can get into a shop, they can help you make sure the draw length is good for you and that the draw weight is accurate, which is what they helped me with. Mine was supposed to come set for 70# and it was right about 65#. Also around here the couple I know of have an indoor range which is about $5 to use. This is personal preference also but I had my D loop adjusted so it is closer to the string. Here are the pics of my PSE.

Nice, those broadheads look wicked!

Think I'm gonna take the wood grips off this instinct cuase thinking it will feel better in the hand. I actually have a gun/sporting goods shop down 6-8 blocks away from me will bring it in either tomarrow or next. I'm hoping they have a range down in the basement.

I'll do that. I don't think their cracks but never know. There is some dings and paint missing/scratching. Really dont knwo what to look for in things being wrong/off. The seller was a older guy that said he had to start using a crossbow cause wasnt up for the compound anymore. Seems like a straight shooter and dont think he would treat his stuff bad or intentsionally rip me off, but never know. It would be good to actually get my exact measurements anyways besides having them expect it. Worried about how much they"ll charge me for these services though. Keep running out of money here. Bow hunting is not cheap.

Hopefully they are just scratches. It's not cheap when you first start out, but if you take care of your equipment, it will last you a long time. Just wait until you convince yourself you really need one or two spare bows. Of course you want those totally setup too... :D

Maybe it will just be surface markings. The few shops I have been in looking around at accessories and such usually have something posted with their pricing with some kind of hourly rate or a $xx/per item install type thing.

Hopefully they are just scratches. It's not cheap when you first start out, but if you take care of your equipment, it will last you a long time. Just wait until you convince yourself you really need one or two spare bows. Of course you want those totally setup too... :D

I will second that. I haven't even hunted with mine yet but I have had so much fun setting this bow up that I am wanting to set up another now haha.

Maybe it will just be surface markings. The few shops I have been in looking around at accessories and such usually have something posted with their pricing with some kind of hourly rate or a $xx/per item install type thing.

I will second that. I haven't even hunted with mine yet but I have had so much fun setting this bow up that I am wanting to set up another now haha.

Yep. Bows are just as addictive as knives and guns. Part of the fun of having multiple bows is setting them up differently, so you can try other sights, rest etc, and not have to muck up your primary bow :D

Yep. Bows are just as addictive as knives and guns. Part of the fun of having multiple bows is setting them up differently, so you can try other sights, rest etc, and not have to muck up your primary bow :D

I'm probably going to end up with two. this ones gonna have to work for the time being though. This will end up being my beater.

Just bought a Guide Gear 16' Wraparound 2-man Ladder Stand. Looks really nice, nothing but positive reviews and descent price.

Two problems though. Sales tax for me living in MN and wish I lived by them so could just pick it up. Came to $165 with tax and shipping. I'm expecting this to be a nice stand though. My first steel ladder stand. I'm thinking I might buy a bow ground blind too or build two other tree stands in diiferent spots.

Will bring the bow in tomarrow. Fingers crossed.

That is a pretty cool stand. I am borrowing a climber from my father in law right now with the intent on purchasing one next month. I came close to getting a ladder stand but I hunt two different areas and I am not a huge fan of the pop up style ground blinds. I've had 3 and all three didnt last a season each. Granted I didnt spend a whole lot on them. For me down here in GA they make the warmer winter weather even hotter.

When does your season come in?

Back