Best compound bow for the price?

I will be setting up an account on AT to start doing more reading on the subject.

Have a question after reading your post Mono. I have been adjusting my sight instead of the rest. I will be going to the rest movement method. Is there any particular reason to move the rest instead? And is it possible I may need to move my sight back to an original vertical/horizontal position and sight it in using the rest? I am curious and want to make sure I am sighting it in correctly.

This tuning method is to get your center shot (rest adjustment) perfect. The further back you go the finer tune you get. Every time you go back to 10 yards you do adjust the sights to hit at 10. Only touch the rest after that. It will help you get sighted in too. I suggest you do a good sight in after all your arrows hit vertically. I hope it isn't to confusing.

Basically use the sight to set in 10 yards then do a walk back sighting using the rest to adjust left/right as needed. Then repeat until the arrows are pretty much vertical next to/on the line. Use the first pin for this sight-in. Then if I were to set my other pins that is just a matter of moving them down individually.

This definitely sounds like it should tighten up my group. It's raining right now or I would be trying it out now. Weather permitting I will try it this weekend and update on how it goes.

I did notice in all my shooting that the first pin is almost identical shooting from 10-20 yards and only at about 25 does it really start dropping.

This will get your rest tuned and make Broadhead flying better. You are correct.... you other pins should just slide down.

Cool, hopefully the forecast wont hold haha.

Do you have any preference on arrow length? When they cut mine back they didn't cut much and they stick out a good bit from the shelf so I was considering cutting them back some more.

Edit: just realized they made drop away holders for the shelf as well. I may pull the pad that is on mine off and get one of those to help secure the arrow when not drawn.

Some guys just use felt or mole skin and make an M shape to their liking. There are a few 'after market' arrow holders to pick from though.
With the arrow length...I usually cut them about 1" in front of the rest, BUT, if you shoot a large fixed blade you might want to make that 1 1/4" so the blades clear the shelf when you reach full draw.
My draw length is dead on 29" I have been cutting arrows to 28.5" for 20 years. I like more weight because a heavy arrow flies better and is harder to stop. :D

Last edited:
I went to a few stores today and nobody had any of them, so I will probably have to order one and see how it works out. My draw is set at 27.5 but I adjusted the length of my release and it seems a little short. I am gonna adjust it out to 28 and my arrows were cut to 30". Gonna have them trimmed down after I draw and measure. Picked up a few more packs of ViBrake nocks on sale today for $3. Hard to beat that price and doesnt hurt to have some spare ones laying around.

What kind of drop away do you have? I've got an sos ripcord. Works nice and holds the arrow until you draw and release. It's a slow release so it doesn't drop away until the arrow is on its way.

TruGlo Down Draft. I Like it aside from when you draw if you aren't careful the arrow is free and has a tendency to "bounce" and hit the corner of the shelf until it is at full draw.

I might take my QAD off and use my Whisker Biscuit for hunting. Most of my kills are less than 15 yards anyway. I'll look in my bow box....I might have an arrow holder or two to send you.

I might take my QAD off and use my Whisker Biscuit for hunting. Most of my kills are less than 15 yards anyway. I'll look in my bow box....I might have an arrow holder or two to send you.

I've been using a biscuit for about 12 years now, and love it... Two reasons I like them, it is one less thing that could possibly go haywire, and all of my hunting is on the ground. I do a lot of hiking, so I like the fact that when I think it is needed, I can nock up and still move around, and never have to worry about it falling off the rest.

My farthest kill shot using one was 42 yards lasered. I have never done any shooting past 50 yards, but it certainly doesn't affect my accuracy out to that distance.

Ended up getting some Grim Reaper Razorcuts and some Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts. will probably use the GR's this year. Friday will finally get a chance to shoot this sucker. The wait is killing me. getting tempted to just shoot in my Apt. ;) I don't own a vehicle so gotta get a ride to my shack, will stay up there over the weekend and start getting things set up.

Thanks for the offer bro! Where I have my spot cleared out near me my farthest shot will probably be about 25 yards. Unless I have a superb shot lined up I probably wont try and shoot past 35 yards, just because it is something new to me and I would rather pass up a shot than maim/lose an animal.

Ended up getting some Grim Reaper Razorcuts and some Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts. will probably use the GR's this year. Friday will finally get a chance to shoot this sucker. The wait is killing me. getting tempted to just shoot in my Apt. ;) I don't own a vehicle so gotta get a ride to my shack, will stay up there over the weekend and start getting things set up.

Good deal! I would probably resist that temptaion though haha. Wouldn't want to surprise a neighbor. :p Sounds like you will have a fun weekend lined up though!

Thanks for the offer bro! Where I have my spot cleared out near me my farthest shot will probably be about 25 yards. Unless I have a superb shot lined up I probably wont try and shoot past 35 yards, just because it is something new to me and I would rather pass up a shot than maim/lose an animal. !

I like the way you think :thumbup:

One thing with archery is, you have to have the discipline to pass on a shot that you aren't comfortable with. It's one thing to stick an arrow in a target at 50 yards for fun, but quite another in the woods at an animal.
I have had deer and elk under 10 yards from me, but even at that distance I didn't have a good shot, so I had to pass... There are far to many people archery hunting that don't respect the animals, and will take shots with no concern about wounding the animal if they make a bad hit.

It can be frustrating, but at the same time, being that close to the animals without them knowing you are there, is incredible. Watching, listening and being close enough you can smell the animal is something not many people get to experience. If I have a season where I get to experience that, and don't get an animal, I still consider the season a success.

Yea I agree with you. Even when I hunt with a gun I will let deer walk if I am not in a mood to shoot or if I am having fun watching them. Last year mid season I watched 14 deer (saw 17 that afternoon but the 3 could have been part of the group) walk out into the field I hunt 2-4 at a time and casually cross a 200 yard clearing. Pretty much every one was at about 100 yards from me walking broadside so I had my pick. I chose not to shoot. One reason being I have never seen anything like that before and it was awesome to hear them and watch the yearlings play. Second reason was with all of them in the field if I would have taken a shot it probably would have messed up the season with that many being there at once to hear the shot.

In that same field while hunting I have watched two bobcats, geese, two different foxes, deer, red shoulder hawks, and other birds. I just like being out there.

The way I look at it: Why take a shot and have a major risk of losing it as well as it suffering when I could go back out the next time and have a chance at a better shot where it drops or only runs about 50 yards?

My farthest kill is about 32 yards. That was with my 4570. Closest kill was with a bow at maybe 3 feet. The doe was on the other side of the tree I was standing behind. That is a hard shot. You have to use your 30 yard pin on those close shots.
Grimm Reapers are great broad heads, but don't take them apart! They can be tricky to put back together correctly. The Buzzcuts have a lifetime, no questions asked warranty. If you damage them in any way just send it back for a new one. Great company that back their product.

Last edited:
My farthest kill is about 32 yards. That was with my 4570. Closest kill was with a bow at maybe 3 feet. The doe was on the other side of the tree I was standing behind. That is a hard shot. You have to use your 30 yard pin on those close shots.

You have me beat :D When I first started shooting a bow, I practiced at 10 feet occasionally, and that was as close as I got. It took a few shots to get use to that. It felt really odd...

Back