Best Day Ever.....Lost Knife Found

Glad you found it Brother.

Garth congrats on your reunion. Thanks for sharing. I can't believe you found it either. Blends in pretty good. The condition is amazing for being submerged for so long. I guess is was fate that you found it again.

Loosing a beloved blade is like loosing a friend. Finding it again must have been a huge joy! Congrats;)

Glad you two are reunited. I’m still on the lookout for all the throwing knives and ninja stars I lost in mom’s hedge 30-some years ago.

I lost a knife once, Garth. A cheap but unique sami knife that arctic rangers would get issued at the garrison I was in. Had it all through my service, had the edge redone completely twice because the bad carbon steel would be completely ruined after a week scrubbing moss from stones and harvesting wood.
Dropped it on a trip with my brother and still think about it to this day, close to 15 years later.

I'm glad you found yours! If you ever lose it again contact me and I'll send you my Rat Trap. It's unused, just sitting here.

Back in the spring I was out in the woods and lost my Rat Trap folder in the swamp. Most of our 40 acres is under 12"-18" of water this time of year. I was just out checking stands, looking for spring deer trails and setting some cameras. Somewhere along the way I lost my Rat Trap. I spent days searching for it. Retraced all my steps, recruited friends and family, borrowed a very high tech metal detector, and even offered a $500 reward for anyone that found my knife.

That knife had been in my pocket everyday for the better part of 15 years. I couldn't believe that I lost it. Walking even felt off without it in my pocket.

Well, fast forward to last weekend. It is that time of year to be checking trail cameras every few days. I took advantage of a nice day and headed out to the woods. Much of the flooded swamps have gone down now so it makes it a bit easier to get through the woods.

I look down next to the trail that was underwater this spring and what do you know:
i-7vZzP94-L.jpg

I can't believe I even saw it. I had pretty much written it off at this point. I was so happy that I called my wife. I don't think she cared nearly as much as I did. Anyway I was stoked and I gotta tell you that after being submersed in swamp water for the better part of 5 months it was in great shape.
i-GFZQhVC-L.jpg

Aside from some minor surface oxidation and needing a good cleaning it was fine. Took it home and cleaned it all out. She works great. Little bit of a touch up with a scotch wheel and she is good as new. I did bend the pocket clip down a bit as I am pretty sure it was just loose enough to slip up and out of my pocket while climbing over a log in the swamp. Now it is nice and tight and it won't be slipping out again.

I am sure you guys don't care near as much as I do but wanted to share the good news and show you what happens when you soak something in a swamp for 5 months.

Garth
I can relate. Glad you found it

It's a sign! Everything is going to be OK. Also, if anyone in Lakewood/SW Denver finds a Spyderco Jot Singh Khalsa without a pocket clip on the ground, I dropped it 6 or 7 years ago.

I care......I care immensely.

I have lost a few over the years.

Usually they pop up.

Worst one was a "lost" J. Oeser custom slipjoint.

Took a week to find.

Currently I'm looking for a blue handled Spyderco Delica I put some where "Safe" before leaving to the beach on vacation.

I did not want to grit up the action with beach sand, so I too other knives...

Been looking for that safe location for about 3 years now....one thing is sure....it is NOT in the actual safes. I checked both.

Thanks Guys. Just having it back in my pocket makes everything feel like it’s going to be ok.
Garth

Back