Recommendation? Best EDC BM 940-1 vs PM2 s110v Burple?

Best EDC 940-1 vs PM2 s110v Burple

• PM2 S110v Burple

Votes: 23 47.9%
  • BM 940-1 S90V

Votes: 25 52.1%

• Total voters

Kmikaz3

Gold Member
Between both of them, which one would be more the perfect edc. Not taking into account the BM price tax. Both steel are fairly almost similar one is s90v and the latter being s110v but 940-1 seems very lighter and slimmer. On the other hand, they said the omega spring tends to fail. PM2 usually came really sharp as expected from Spyderco where as BM came dull and needs to resharp out of the box. Which one would be the best?

Last edited:
Why are you asking ME what would be best for YOU? Don't YOU know?
Well that was an unexpected answer... to be fair with you, i dont own a Pm2 in s110v.... just yet. That's why i asked.

Depending on your pocket size, the 940 is much nicer to carry. IMO, the native 5 s110V would be a better EDC competitor from a size perspective but they're all stellar.

I also have a bias against the compression lock because I could just never get used to it, so take that into account. I think the 940, while very expensive, is an amazing EDC knife.

If you have big hands, hands down the PM2 though because of the much more generous handle. For me, who doesn't have much hard use or a lot of continuous use of my EDC's, the 940's handle is plenty comfortable. I highly recommend putting a hand on each of them if you can because they are very, very different knives.

Well that was a unexpected answer...

Not if you know me, which was kind of my point. All I could really tell you was which one I like better. For me, the perfect EDC folder has always been a fixed blade!
Be that as it may, you seem to have a clear preference for the Spydie, you should GET the Spydie.

Ooooooo this one is tough! I’ve had both and love them both. As others will state, it’s going to depend on you but in a real quick pros and cons, I’ll try:

Blurple PM2:
PM2s are outstanding best seller knives, and the s110v is one of the superstars of the PM2 lineup, being that it is a super steel that is regularly produced and readily available.
Pros:
Fantastic slicer
Blade shape great for piercing and fine work
Jimping on top and bottom allows for added control when needed
The edge retention on an S110V blade will probably allow you to watch the seasons change without a sharpening.
Cost is low considering what you’re getting

Cons:
Tough to sharpen s110v. You will absolutely need to buy diamond stones or send it in to HQ.
Tip could be seen as delicate, it comes to a fine point
S110V chips if you do any sort of twisting cuts on things like zip ties. Not huge chips, but you’ll get microchips.

Now for the 940-1:
A great lightweight EDC knife, and arguably the best of the 940 lineup.

Pros:
Carbon fiber really helps reduce weight
S90V is second only to s110v on edge retention.
Slim profile allows for ease in carry, you’ll be able to put other things in the pocket.
Blade shape is strong for piercing tasks

Cons:
Tough to sharpen, I would recommend diamonds for this steel too.
Blade shape is not the best slicer. It cuts fine, but not as great as PM2 at the “slicing” aspects.
Carbon fiber will not handle lateral stress as well as the aluminum option, so that’s a trade off for weight reduction.
Cost is significantly higher than blurple Pm2 at retail.

In conclusion, you won’t be disappointed with either... but if you ask me it’s the blurple PM2. It’s more of a “do it all” option IMHO.

Ooooooo this one is tough! I’ve had both and love them both. As others will state, it’s going to depend on you but in a real quick pros and cons, I’ll try:

Blurple PM2:
PM2s are outstanding best seller knives, and the s110v is one of the superstars of the PM2 lineup, being that it is a super steel that is regularly produced and readily available.
Pros:
Fantastic slicer
Blade shape great for piercing and fine work
Jimping on top and bottom allows for added control when needed
The edge retention on an S110V blade will probably allow you to watch the seasons change without a sharpening.
Cost is low considering what you’re getting

Cons:
Tough to sharpen s110v. You will absolutely need to buy diamond stones or send it in to HQ.
Tip could be seen as delicate, it comes to a fine point
S110V chips if you do any sort of twisting cuts on things like zip ties. Not huge chips, but you’ll get microchips.

Now for the 940-1:
A great lightweight EDC knife, and arguably the best of the 940 lineup.

Pros:
Carbon fiber really helps reduce weight
S90V is second only to s110v on edge retention.
Slim profile allows for ease in carry, you’ll be able to put other things in the pocket.
Blade shape is strong for piercing tasks

Cons:
Tough to sharpen, I would recommend diamonds for this steel too.
Blade shape is not the best slicer. It cuts fine, but not as great as PM2 at the “slicing” aspects.
Carbon fiber will not handle lateral stress as well as the aluminum option, so that’s a trade off for weight reduction.
Cost is significantly higher than blurple Pm2 at retail.

In conclusion, you won’t be disappointed with either... but if you ask me it’s the blurple PM2. It’s more of a “do it all” option IMHO.

:eek: That's some really good pros/cons. I do own the BM 940-1 but not the latter. I was thinking, should i keep the BM or get the PM2 and get rid of the 940-1 or having both but the last option, i'm not sure of. That's why i want to see what you guys think of both before pulling a decision.

I would tend to lean more towards the 940-1, as I've had a 940 longer and am more comfortable with it in my hand. The carbon fiber scales are comfortable in hand and s90v is great stuff.
I like my PM2 just fine, the s110v is great also, and that ffg makes it just slide thru in a cut. My biggest concern has always been that tip tho. I seem to recall a few pics here and there of PM2's missing some portion of the tip.
For fidget fun I'd have a hard time picking one over the other tho:D

:eek: That's some really good pros/cons. I do own the BM 940-1 but not the latter. I was thinking, should i keep the BM or get the PM2 and get rid of the 940-1 or having both but the last option, i'm not sure of. That's why i want to see what you guys think of both before pulling a decision.

I’d keep both honestly. They’re both different enough to justify having both in the lineup.

the perfect EDC folder has always been a fixed blade!

I only own one fixed blade and it's a Microtech Currahee but in a near future i would like to put my hand on a Bark River Donnybrook. But that's it's not the topic for today. ;)

To be fair, I usually carry a folder as well, but my hand goes to the fixed blade 90+% of the time. It's just quicker.

Both knives are great.

Benchmade offers blade replacement while Spyderco does not. Just another data point for your consideration.

I’d keep both honestly. They’re both different enough to justify having both in the lineup.
Is it really that hard to sharp? how long does it last? My take on the s90v is, it does take me a fairly long among of time (didn't watch the time but was fairly long, an hour maybe?) to reprofile my BM on my KME. Is it that intimidation S110V? :confused::eek:

Is it really that hard to sharp? how long does it last? My take on the s90v is, it does take me a fairly long among of time (didn't watch the time but was fairly long, an hour maybe?) to reprofile my BM on my KME. Is it that intimidation S110V? :confused::eek:
I’d say it’s not impossible to sharpen without diamonds but after your first time trying you’ll say “screw that, I’m getting diamonds”... that’s what I did. You won’t be reprofiling without, might be able to sharpen.

I reprofiled an American Lawman in CTS-XHP on my KME with Arkansas Stones once. I won’t do that again. It smoothed out my aggressive stones.

Diamonds work great for alloys with higher carbide content.

OP - maybe you already knew it but the two knives have about the same overall length, the same handle length, the same blade length but BM 940 has longer cutting edge. IMO BM 940-1 is the best among all variants of BM 940 while s110v PM2 is definitely NOT the best among its variants (again IMO) - I'll pick M390 or M4 over s110v.

It's hard not to take into consideration the price when comparing them. Let's put it this way: if there are a BM 940-1 and a PM2 s110v and I can only pick one for free, that will be BM 940-1 no brainer for me.

This one is ALL about preference.
Each one is a fantastic choice for regular EDC
There is no right or wrong answer to your question.
Personally, I chose the 940 a long time ago. The PM2 just isn't for me. However, I had to own both at the same time to decide.

My advice to you would be to buy one each of the plain jane s30v versions. Alternate daily between the two, and I promise the answer to which is better FOR YOU will become quite evident.
Sell them both on the Exchange and use the money to buy the more high-end model.

Back