Recommendation? Best EDC BM 940-1 vs PM2 s110v Burple?

Best EDC 940-1 vs PM2 s110v Burple

• PM2 S110v Burple

Votes: 23 47.9%
  • BM 940-1 S90V

Votes: 25 52.1%

• Total voters
I voted for the PM2 but, think that is because I want one.

The 940 really is a fine product.

Just end up with both. That is the only way you will tell for sure.

use the money to buy the more high-end model

I own quite a few higher end (ie CRK, Hinderer, Reate...) but it irksome to use since they're quite higher end and yes... i do know they are tools not pocket jewels but still i ended bringing a second knife :rolleyes:. I'm more comfortable in those price range to actually use.

The PM2 is a hundred bucks cheaper, uses better steel and puts it, in my opinion, a better shape and a better body.

I've had both of these knives. Sold the 940-1 in a couple weeks, still maining my S110V PM2.

The real answer is.....you need both. Both are iconic and different enough from each other to warrant the investment.

Hmm, seeing everyone’s answer, i think im better off and swallow that pill and having both. I knew BF was an expensive place but was nice to ask !:D

940-1 for me, but it's subjective. I don't like the slabby handles on the PM2 and I need a sharpening choil for my system. The quality is still there, it just doesn't fit my needs.

I own quite a few higher end (ie CRK, Hinderer, Reate...) but it irksome to use since they're quite higher end and yes... i do know they are tools not pocket jewels but still i ended bringing a second knife :rolleyes:. I'm more comfortable in those price range to actually use.

When I said Higher-end I meant to sell the cheaper versions and buy either the PM2 Blurple or 940-1.

When I said Higher-end I meant to sell the cheaper versions and buy either the PM2 Blurple or 940-1.

Spyderco's 110V is a very use-specific steel in my experience. It's very brittle. Not hard to find pictures of broken 110V PM2 blades. Now, if your permits or even benefits from having a steel like that it's a worthy investment (veggie cutting, boneless meat etc). It was not a good jack-of-all-trades EDC steel when I used it. Especially if you're picky about having microchips in your edge. Not enough to effect actual cutting tasks, but snag the receipt paper many of us use to gauge sharpness. Drove me bonkers.

If someone laid out every PM2 on a table and let me take my pick, the 110V might actually be my last choice. At least the sample I had.

PM2 is a pocket laser molded to fit the hand almost perfectly imo. I've never had a 940 but do have a mini grip. It came with some slight left to right blade play and the edge paled in comparison to the pm2 out the box.

Had both and still have the PM2.... so my personal preference goes to the PM2

However both are great and at the end it comes to your preferences.
The 940-1 is lighter and if you put a deep carry clip on it, it is a dream of an EDC
the PM2 is heavier, takes more room in your pocket but I like the stronger feeling that comes with it.

if your in an urban/office setting the 940-1 should be your pick
If you want a versatile blade that can take a lot of abuse, the PM2 is a better plateform

i have a good experience with s110v and I am happy with it. incredible edge retention on cardboard, food prep, etc. Not the best on wood.

with the PM2 à s30v version is also a very good (and cheaper) option for an EDC, or s35vn.
Less premium but more well rounded all around steel

if your in an urban/office setting the 940-1 should be your pick

I'm more of an office/workshop guy! But i also not saying no to a sturdy knife as sometimes i open plastic wrap and straps on pallets.

Last edited:
I voted PM2 and made the vote 11 to 11.

I love the Blurple color of the G10. I also prefer G10 over CF since CF tends to be slick imo. I don't care about the 1.15 oz difference in weight between the two knives. 4 way pocket clip is nice. I'm not picky about tip up vs tip down but some folks are. Both have excellent steels. Considering the 940-1 is $90 more, the PM2 wins easily in this for me.

I don't think either one is a bad choice but my preference is PM2 and I have 3 of them in my EDC rotation including one with blurple scales. I have not tried the 940 but I did want the similar 943 for awhile. I think if a person prefers the blade shape of the 940 then it would be a good choice, I just happen to like blades with more point.

I'm more of an office/workshop guy! But i also not saying no to a sturdy knife as sometimes i open plastic wrap and straps on pallets.
IMO 940-1 will be better
Slimmer and lighter for sure but it can do that easily

I've owned several of both models and once had an extensive PM2 collection...However, I NEVER carried
any PM2 for any real period of time. S110V has been labeled as a bit brittle by some unhappy users.
I prefer S90V as a steel, and just got my second 940 with special blade-steel...the first one had 20CV.
Certainly, it is lighter than the Spydie, but it performs well.
Both are excellent...

I have several Axis lock Benchmades -- a couple of Grippies, Mini-Rukus, 710-- and the Omega springs have never failed.

Back