Best EDC for $20 - Carry it for a year.

My choices would be so much easier if I could have a used knife. Not really, I'd just have more choices. :)

This would work for me, a RR Dog Bone Muskrat. At 3 3/4" closed it probably has a 3" main blade, I could do a lot with that and the smaller pen. :)

51YtsLm-cvL._SX425_.jpg

Kershaw Shuffle:

kershaw-8700-white-k.jpg

Decent blade, bottle opener, standard driver, pry bar all in a lightweight, non-threatening package with a deep carry clip a great ergos. Even my wife likes these.

I carry a Vic SAK and have been carrying it as my primary EDC for more than 15 years. Been replaced once with same knife at about $25. So, no thank you on the <$20 knife for a year.

I'd go full custom and order a shard of glass or shiv with ducktape wrapped handle from "the peaceant" one of our local craftsman here on bladeforums. With the extra money, I'd buy a tourniquet or two.

My other option would be to order a knock off hollow handle knife and sheath it in a large sock, similarly with the left over $ I'd purchase a tourniquet or quikclot.

For under $20 my favorite cutting instrument for actual use and EDC is the old style box cutter with the thumb slide. My first cost me 99cents and I used it hard 3-4 days/week for a few years.

I have a Gerber EAB lite which is nice, but I wouldn't want to use it for heavier jobs as the grip isn't as secure for me as a full size box cutter. You can find those for around $10.

For limited use, I like my Gerber Curve, which could be found new for under $10. I gravitate to MT's, but it's hard to find a good one for cheap. My favorite inexpensive knife, is my Zancudo, but that's closer to $30.

I really love my LM Crater c33tx, but never tried the knife only version which can be had for under $20 if you look around.

Last edited:
There is little doubt in my mind that if I went with a sub-$20 knife, it would be a Rough Rider slipjoint. All of the SAKs I like cost over $20. I like the Kabar Dozier folding hunter but it runs a little over $20. Regardless of price, I still must like the knife I am carrying as I depend on it to cut when I need to cut something. The Cold Steel Tuff Lite isn't a bad knife, but it runs closer to $30.

I'm sure I could live with and get by with any of these $20 or less, by categories:

Knife - A SAK of any kind, any model within budget
OHO Folder - A Kershaw OSO Sweet, HARNDS Nyx or Byrd, KaBar Dozier...
MT - the OUTU Scissors-Pliers tool, LM Micra or Gerber Dime
Fixed Blade - a Mora or the Cold Steel Roach Belly
Machete - a cheap Tramontina or Marbles machete

Just a knife I'd also go with a Kabar Dozier. They have booted out Delicas and Dragonflys and Mini Tuff Lites from my pocket. There is something about the simple, direct, utilitarian design that I seem to like much more than other knives I've tried. I enjoy both the regular and the mini. If I were to go with a multitool It'd be an Alox Pioneer.

I think I'd go with a Svord mini peasant. I prefer the full size but it's too big for the pocket and I don't like belt carry.

I was bored today and decided to find out what I thought would be the best EDC and made a game of it. For fun.

Rules- It's your only knife and you plan on carrying it daily for an entire year. Must be new and can't cost more then $20 shipping included or tax if your buying at a store.

I figured Ok, since I need a jack of all trades knife it should be something mid sized and not super heavy. Also i know Ill be stuck with 8cr13mov or aus 8 at best on most any folder.

I almost went with a
Sanrenmu 7063AUC-LI 763 ( love the size and most everything about it) or a Ganzo G739as (feels like a early model griptilian but with nicer milled scales and fits BM deep carry clip) I own both and they are excellent folders but, I only seldom use them and didnt want to worry about how reliable it would be after using it for six months. Considering this is an EDC knife I need to be able to use it around most anyone at any place.

My pic is the
Victorinox Swiss Army Sportsman II
911aPcWhW1L._SL1500_.jpg

Shipped it would come out to $18.58 as of today.

What would you go with?
As long as this is purely hypothetical, I would have to say I would go with this MAM at 12$
27267477312_5ca4899650_b.jpg

For under $20, maybe a Victorinox Recruit.

I would have said an Alox Cadet SAK, because when I bought mine they were under $20. But after a cursory online check, I see they are going for more than that now.

Jim

How about an Opinel? I've carried them a lot, and since I carry a knife to cut stuff, and not much else, it works just fine.

I just recieved a Spartan II off the river site for just 13 bucks. I could live with it for years. It won't displace my Grand Portage. The only reason I got the Spartan II is well, 13 bucks, I mean sometimes an item is such a good buy that I just can't pass on it.

A Victorinox Tinker is nice ... just saw one for $19.15 delivered from someone at Newegg. I still have a couple I got on closeout at Target some years back - they came with a free sports wallet.

For everyday carry around the house, two Imacasa 18" machetes for $9.99 (free shipping today at BUDK - BLV2791). But why carry when there are knives laying all around? :)

I don't think I'm being an elitist snob to say that life is too short to carry a $20 knife for a year, but there is no doubt that it would cover my needs.

Definitely some kind of SA, preferably with an Alox handle. So just to be different, a Mercator Cat knife.

I'd spend my $20 on 1095, kydex, and 550 cord.

Back