Votes: 23 20.9%
  • BM Griptillian

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • PM2

Votes: 43 39.1%
  • PM3

Votes: 8 7.3%

• Total voters
PM2 for the best all-around, mid-sized comfortable EDC with a strong blade and a strong locking system.

But it depends what EDC profile you're looking for.

Best sub 3" inch blade in your range, to allow for local knife laws? Native 5. Blade measure at 2 15/16", great all-purpose blade in S35vn for $86 (https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP...ife-s35vn-satin-plain-blade-black-frn-handles).

Best 4" blade for a big beefy folder in your range? Cold Steel Recon 1. Just got the new spear point one for $95 from GPKnives, loving it.
I agree with these evaluations. Currently carrying a Military, however.

The CS American Lawman is an excellent edc that is that is sturdy enough for a work knife.

Para 3, best of the paramilitary 2, but small enough to be easily pocketable and sub 3 inch so legal almost anywhere.

You're all over the place in this one, lol.

While I recognize the merits of the Delica, quite frankly, it's just too small for me to consider using regularly; so if that's the only true option, I'm screwed.
My thoughts about the PM2 have been expressed ad nauseam, so I'll skip over that and say the Griptilian...and I've never even held one in hand. (I like the Manix; but not enough to EDC it...and mine is the M4 version)
The reality is that I'd be more likely to EDC my old Kershaw Vapor II than any of the knives mentioned. That's just my opinion... but, when it comes down to the knife going into MY pocket, mine is the opinion that matters.
(Of course, since I have put better scales on a few PM2s, I don't mind admitting that I carry them periodically)

*edited to add lol
no im not. what i mean to say if you didnt get the point is... the Delica is more edc for most people in the world. the other knives are great working knives and can absolutely be EDC'ed and used by people who need to use larger knives for their edc... but that will not be the norm with most people.

That's why I almost always carry two knives. One larger, one smaller. For instance the PM2 + Delica4 is a superb combo.

My vote went for the PM2. Possibly the PM3 but I've only seen pictures of them. Wasn't a huge fan of the Grip when I handled one. Seemed cheap for the price, mostly due to the handles.

i voted pm3 because it's my favorite among the above. i've owned all knives on the poll, but the only one i still own is a delica (only because it's cheap enough for me to never feel the need to sell...)

that being said, native 5 in s35vn is another great one, $80, and better steel than any of the listed knives. there are several kizer options under $125 that i may prefer over the list above

I voted Delica because it is easier to carry than the best knife on the list, the PM2.

The PM2 is awesome, but for EDC the delica fits the roll better for me regardless of what I'm wearing.

Reactions: Mo2
I find it interesting that the PM2 gets the big nod here, but also seems to be the knife most people have been disappointed after buying it, at least from this topic:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/knives-you-overestimated.1499093/

I have a PM2, a Delica4, but have only handled the rest with the exception of the PM3. Out of the list so far I would say the Delica. It will fit most people's needs most of the time. My problem with it is that VG10 blade does not hold a edge very long if you actually use it more than for occasional cutting once in a while. It's not a bad knife, just one short coming. The other thing that I generally dislike with Spyderco knives is that majority of them seem to have short cutting edges for the overall size of the knife.

IMHO, a better EDC than any of the knives in the list, true EDC everywhere knife (except for blade length laws) is a CH Knive CH 3001. It can be had for around $55, has a D2 blade, titanium flipper with ball bearings, and can be had in colors that don't attract attention like a "scary" tactical knife. It is smaller than a Delica in pocket, but has a much bigger cutting length. My review is here:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/ch-knives-ch3001-a-surprise-picture-added.1497459/

If bigger is not a problem for an EDC, then I keep pushing this knife like a pimp. BTW I have not vested interest nor receive anything from anybody in exchange for my opinions on these knives, nor anything else. The CH Knives CH 3504 is good enough for me that I have stopped looking for anything "better". It has much more cutting edge than the PM2 for the same size in the pocket, but only costs around $90 or less shipped to your door. S35VN is nothing to dismiss neither. My review is here:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/ch-knives-ch-3504-wow.1510700/

Actually for the price mentioned in the OP, you could basically get both the CH 3001 and the CH 3504 and use which is more suited for the occasion.

The reason I didn't say anything about the Griptillian is that I have not had good experience with omega spring life. I have a Ritter Grip and the last time the spring were replaced was in 2006. I know 11 years without failure, but the first failed within weeks. I have been wary of it being my only knife ever since should I wander out into the wild.

I would also agree that the new Cold Steel American Lawman would be a good EDC. I have the second generation with CTS-XHP but found the plunge grind took away too much from the cutting length. The latest generation has fixed that issue and I have one on the way in the mail, if it ever shows up.

Reactions: Mo2
I think the Cold Steel American Lawman should be added to this list.

I voted pm2 because in my opinion its one of the beat knives you can own in any price range.
Its: razor sharp, smooth as glass, ergonomical, great size and a good looking knife.
I have 3 pm2's inbound as i type this. I plan on getting more. To me these are on par with knives that are 3 to 4 times the cost.
I dare say a broken in pm2 is almost the perfect knife.
I own midtechs and i dont feel like I am carrying an inferior knife to them when im carrying the pm2.

For the stated pricepoint , my first pick is the Yojimbo2. Manix2 is my second choice.

Para2 is a must. Buck Marksman needs to be on the list to consider also.

Para 2.

I used to be a zt and benchmade fanboy until I finally got to try a para2.

I now own nothing but para 2s because it feels like it was made perfectly for me.

I have 8 of the base model uncoated s30v camo g10 pm2.

Gonna get a s35vn one today to try.

For that list, PM2 as stated.

You can get a ZT0770 in Elmax for close to that price these days. Very pocket friendly EDC blade.

I'd vote for the Manix(but not a lightweight). If not that then a mini grip would beat out the PM2 for what I'd want in a knife to carry every day.

The CS American Lawman is an excellent edc that is that is sturdy enough for a work knife.

I have the special edition American Lawman with the green G10 and better steel. It's a great knife, I love it. Got mine used for $60. Definitely a good choice if you don't mind the stiff triad back lock Cold Steel uses.

Spyderco Endura. ZT 0566 for $20 more.

Almost included the 0566 as well, and I agree. Well built knife, steel, and useful blade shape for the money. The 0770 might be a better "EDC" due to it's thin size and weight IMO. Can't go wrong either way for the price. Might even throw the 0900 in the mix, depending on availability. Good choices all around with or without ZT in the mix.

No disrespect to the Grip and/or Delica, have owned both at one point. At $125, the OP could be looking at less plastic and better steel running on bearings. A Kizer Bantam gets you a S35VN Titanium flipper frame lock running on bearings for $120.

The Kizer Bantam is somewhat the same design as the CH Knives CH 3504. I believe the same designer did both knives. IMHO, a flipper with tip down carry, the Bantam, is a problem waiting to happen. The CH 3504 is generally less expensive too.

For the price of the ZT 0566 against a CH 3504, I could not recommend a ZT 0566. Twice the price and IMHO not built as well.

Back