Best EDC

Para 2 is a geeat all around performer, Stretch might be the best slicer they make and the Superleaf (if you want one grab it quick, they're discontinued) is beefy and overbuilt while still being light and comfortable to carry.

IMHO, the PM2 is Spyderco's best overall EDC but a lot of other models come close. I love my DC PM2 like she's a $500 knife. I carry her proudly and she is so easy to carry and operate.

Ever since I got my Gayle Bradley, it hasn't left my pocket. It deserves the hype.

The best EDC is the one that matches your personality. Lately I've been EDCing the Techno. Before that I had a Manix 2 for quite some time. I don't know if I'll ever be able to put down the Techno, but maybe I can find a pocket for the Manix 2 to ride in along with it.

I rotate some larger knives but always pair them up with my dragonfly g10. great little blade and doesn't scare non knife people.

Once you go Stretch, you'll never go back I always say.

True story.

Carrying the Para 2. It gets my vote for best EDC. Gayle Bradley is high performance and the Delica is a workhorse. Pick one of those!

You'll get as many opinions as there are knives in the catalog. It really depends on your EDC use and what you prefer out of that. I tend to cut a lot of heavy cardboard, so I need a knife that slices well and has good ergos. I like wharnies for this purpose so I'm a big fan of the Yojimbo 2. Lately i've been carrying a DLC Manix 2, and love it. The blade has a shallow enough belly that it cuts almost as well as a wharnie but is also more versatile at other tasks like food prep. I also HAVE to carry a lock that is easy to operate. I'm familiar with pretty much every lock design out there, but I really prefer one that I can drop the blade shut in one fluid motion without having to manually move the blade, like you do with a back lock or liner lock. This is where the CBBL lock and compression locks take the win for me.

Something else I spend a lot of time mulling over is what I like to call the "circle of movement" required to open the blade. On some knives (Like the Native), the thumb hole is further down towards the middle of the blade, which puts it further away from the pivot, which makes that circle of movement larger in diameter, which for me is a downer. By comparison, a Para 2 or Vollatton are much closer to the pivot, and snap open much easier because of it. This might not sound like a big deal and most people never even consider it, but if you think about it and handle several knives to feel the difference, you'll never be able to overlook it again. It's as important to me as the ergonomics.

What no love for the Delica, Caly3, or Sage?

Actually, I haven't carried any of those in a while... probably about since I picked up my first PM2 :p

Sage series knives or any Caly knife would be a great tool for everyday carry. Both line of knives carry fairly deep into the pocket and have excellent blade steels and ergonomics.

Would be a hypocrit if I didn't say Para2 since I have had one in my pocket everyday w/o fail since I bought one! Great knife!!!! Highly recommend!!!!

That said, if you desire something smaller the Dragonfly2 is a great choice...as is the Chaparral.

I just got a Ladybug3 Salt Hawkbill today, also would make a great EDC...but I don't think I would want it to be the only knife i had on me...but who knows... YMMV! :)

A little less than a year ago I changed my EDC main pocket knife. I got a Sprint run of the C-60 Ayoob model and I've really loved the performance of that knife. I also have a companion EDC Hawkbill blade>> currently that is the Spyderhawk model. I usally always carry one of Spyderco's Hawkbills as a companion blade because they are so useful for certain jobs.

There are so many Spyders that would make a good EDC that it is pretty much to what you like personally and what you need it for. Some days I even carry a fixed blade Temperance 1 model.

If I get my hands on the new Sprint C-54 Calypso that will probably be my newest EDC. That knife is as close to perfect as anything of Spyderco's I ever had. I deeply regret trading the original C-54 model away when I did. But thanks to Spyderco they are doing a Sprint Run of it.

I personally prefer smaller knives, so a few have seen the most use: Caly 3, Sage 1, Chaparral 1, Techno, and G10 Dragonfly. Lately I've been carrying the D-fly unclipped in my pocket the most. I just ordered some custom desert ironwood scales for it, so it will probably stay in pocket for a while once they come in. However, I may have just ordered the SB Caly 3 Sprint, so we'll see what happens. :)

I love my Caly3 CF for EDC. It's a great size and shape to disappear in the pockets of my jeans and enough blade to do most everything. It's heavy for its size compared to a Delica, but the extra weight is reassuring, somehow. It just feels so damn solid for its size.

Back