Best Fiddleback Forge Blade Shape for Kitchen Use

jljohn

Gold Member
For those of you who use your Fiddleback Forge knives in the kitchen, and especially if you've used multiple of their blade shapes, what is your favorite for kitchen use?

I'm thinking that I'd like something in the 4"--5" range, and I may look for something a little thinner than usual at 3/32", but I'm wondering which blade shape will work best.

At a glance, the KE Bushie, the Bushfinger, and the Woodsman all look pretty good. Any thoughts on which grind works best in the kitchen?

Thanks!

Andy makes a couple of different dedicated kitchen knives, the Santokumuk, and the Padre, but I haven't used either of those.

I have used a Woodsman extensively in the kitchen, and for the larger stuff I prefer the Woodsman so far.

DSC_1132_zpsd1fn1ttt.jpg

For smaller tasks I really like the Gaucho.

67_zpsf4oimasy.jpg

I will second both the Woodsman and the Gaucho. They get the most food prep work for me.

The santomuk hands down- but they are a rare breed -- (but they should not be! :) )

IMG_1387-2130x1598.jpg

IMG_1386-2130x1598.jpg

All of them are great. In the kitchen, thiner is better about 98% of the time. The other 2% is when a cleaver is required.

After that, the winner is the ones with the greatest distance between the edge and the handle. (The gaucho and long handled knives like the lady finger and kephart, and so forth.)

Trackrock201620-2130x2840.jpg

I say all this, but the EDC II hemp wrap that sits on my counter top is seeing a lot of kitchen duty these days.

IMG_1627-2130x1598.jpg

BTW, if you live anywhere near ATLANTA, then you really need to look into attending the Trackrock Hammer In this fall! Drive, fly or start hiking now! you will not be disappointed!

Thank you for these replies!

Anyone have a suggestion for finding a Gaucho in 3/32" convexed with a synthetic handle (O1 or A2)?

Thank you for these replies!

Anyone have a suggestion for finding a Gaucho in 3/32" convexed with a synthetic handle (O1 or A2)?

Yes, help pest VANCE / Phillip >-)

I've already started pinging him in a couple other threads. One thread he did mention that he had already pulled the pattern early last week so hopefully we should see one or more in the upcoming weeks.

You wouldn't want CPM154?

Yes, help pest VANCE / Phillip >-)

I've already started pinging him in a couple other threads. One thread he did mention that he had already pulled the pattern early last week so hopefully we should see one or more in the upcoming weeks.

You wouldn't want CPM154?

Stainless is handy, but I really like CS in the kitchen. I wouldn't be too picky either way though!

Stainless is handy, but I really like CS in the kitchen. I wouldn't be too picky either way though!
Gotcha. Oh, go check out another recent thread "Thin is in".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

My favorite isn't a Fiddleback at all. It's the top knife from WA Surls. The model is called "Skiva"

IMG_20160718_180127_zpsbyjcxuhw.jpg

My kitchen knives consist of a Gaucho and Ladyfinger by FF plus a Moray, Kestrel and Arowana by WA Surls. That basically covers everything I do in the kitchen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really like Allen's Moray. I use my Padre just about every day in the kitchen.

7e49826d11e486e5bd5f587074e013f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My favorite isn't a Fiddleback at all. It's the top knife from WA Surls. The model is called "Skiva"

IMG_20160718_180127_zpsbyjcxuhw.jpg

Hi Phillip,

That is a really nice looking knife!

Can you help me understand the relationship between W.A. Surls' knives and Fiddleback? They seem to share many characteristics, and my quick google search indicates that he works at Fiddleback. Is that right?

Thanks!

Jeremy

Hi Phillip,

That is a really nice looking knife!

Can you help me understand the relationship between W.A. Surls' knives and Fiddleback? They seem to share many characteristics, and my quick google search indicates that he works at Fiddleback. Is that right?

Thanks!

Jeremy

Jeremy
Allen started out here as an apprentice. He has since graduated from Andy's program and now works full time here at Fiddleback as well as creating his own brand.

Swonut’s Santomuk shown above is a true Fiddleback kitchen knife. Unfortunately, I doubt you will ever see one for sale.

My primary kitchen use knives from the Fiddleback family are the Fiddleback “Gaucho” and W.A. Surls “Moray.” Both of mine are CPM 154 for easy maintenance. My Moray is 1/8” and the Gaucho is 3/32.” Even though other models have seen their fair share of cutting board time too, these are the ones consider best from my experience.

Both of these work great for my normal day to day meal prep

Good luck with your search jljohn. I suggest you stick with convex 3/32” steel on whichever model you decide on as your “kitchen” knife.

Phil

the Surls Skiva is a much better Kitchen knife.....im just sayin. I have both and it's the Skiva hands down...it hurts my heart to say that but it's true
I like multi-use knives and think the Padre would serve that role.

Back