1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Best flipper under $100 for a gift?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Amurr, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Amurr

Amurr Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Thinking maybe vanguard series Gemini any other ideas? W

2. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    PM sent

3. tbenedict

tbenedict

Feb 9, 2010
    My Realsteel Gerfalcon is pretty smooth. Just a bit large for me for normal office carry.

4. SW-EDC

SW-EDC Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 4, 2015
    Got my brother a Kershaw Link. Awesome knife for under $100.

5. ATJ999

ATJ999 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2013
    I have heard the realsteel sea eagle is amazing! Have not used one myself though.

6. Amurr

Amurr Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Accident.

7. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Hey Amurr can you not reply to your pms or emails!

8. tbenedict

tbenedict

Feb 9, 2010
    I think there is a fancy Link available with S35vn. Nice looking if the size and colors appeal.

9. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    Kizer Skull Flipper, if he likes badazz.
    rolf

10. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    Skyline

11. Gaston444

Gaston444

Oct 1, 2014
    This: Kershaw RJ MArtin design Tactical 3.5" 1986mw. A bit hard to locate and easy to confuse with the 1987 3.0... It seems like the large 3.5" was mostly offered for $40 in a special blister pack with a tactical flashlight, for some reason... Sold separately is usually the smaller 3.0 for $25...

A bit hard to sharpen to a real edge, but very functional when it is done. It is an assisted that really works like an automatic, with none of the hassles: About $35-40 tops. 8CR13 steel.

[​IMG]

Gaston

12. ursamajor

ursamajor

Oct 27, 2010
    Hands down, Buck Marksman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. grussingcustomknives

grussingcustomknives

Oct 22, 2015
    Boker quaken

14. Yo Mama

Yo Mama

Sep 25, 2011
    I agree! Really an amazing blade, strong lock, grind is perfect, and fits the hands nicely.

[​IMG]

15. Kataphraktos

Kataphraktos

Jan 1, 2016
  16. znapschatz

znapschatz

Jan 24, 2005
    My vote is for the Buck Vantage series. I have three of them; 340 and 345 Select, and 347 Pro. The one I carry and use most is the Select 345, especially during yard work seasons or any activities that involve cutting stuff. After working them a while, they all flip reliably, cut great and are easy to resharpen. I favor the 345 because it's a bit lighter, and the edge lasts long enough, especially with stropping. When out and around, the smaller 340 comes along for casual purposes. However, the 347 would make a great gift, and there are custom versions of the Vantage line you might want to look at, all under $100 (I think).

[​IMG]

17. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    House of Blades special edition S35VN Link http://www.houseofblades.com/products/kershaw-1776rdswhob-link-red-aluminum-handle-stonewash-s35vn-blade-assisted-open-pocket-knife-usa.html
    RealSteel Sea Eagle http://www.knifecenter.com/item/RST7152/realsteel-knives-e771-sea-eagle-flipper-sandvik-14c28n-plain-blade-black-g10-handles
    Blade HQ limited edition carbon fiber, S30V Skyline http://www.bladehq.com/item--Kershaw-Premium-Skyline-Knife--23746
    and Kizer has a bunch of excellent knives in the Vanguard Series: Dukes, Flashbang, Kyre, Sovreign-Tang, Gemini, Kane, Intrepid, Dorado. Kizer really has the market flooded with great flippers under $100.
    http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_store.html?ttl=Kizer+Cutlery+Vanguard+Knives&brand=427&woVENDORPRCOSTdatarq=vanguard&series=3949&sortType=priceAs

I'm wary of Buck because I've seen too many QC problems on their Vantage series.

18. ursamajor

ursamajor

Oct 27, 2010
    The Vantage is cool, but I consider the Marksman to be a cut above. First off, the action and flipper are the smoothest I have ever used in a production knife. 2nd the lock up not only feels more snug, but is significantly stronger. 3rd, in addition to the flipper and the thumb hole, you can open and close it in a very similar fashion to an Axis lock. The fun factor is better than any other pocket knife on the planet, save a DA OTF.

19. Redhat

Redhat

Nov 15, 2005
    I'll go with the Kershaw Skyline

20. benzy2

benzy2

Jul 18, 2013
    The skyline is a nice size, but not a great flipper. It flips average at best. I'd rather anything from Kizer over the Skyline (I've got both). The form factor of the Skyline is amazing but the action sucks. The vanguard series Kizers all feel better built and also have had better actions than the skylines I've used/owned.