best folding camping knife

Hay I was just wondering what the best folding camping knife. I am looking for a blade that keeps its edge well but is also incredibly strong. I am willing to pay up to $500 but the cheaper the better. Or if you dont know a good knife could you tell me a good steel or blade material that matched these qualifications that would also be great thanks.

By "camp knife", do you mean the knife that will be doing your; chopping, splitting/batonimg wood, anf clearing brush knife? Or the knife that will be handling perhaps cooking tasks, skinning and light to medium work? If its the first one, you dont want a folder.

sakcamper01.jpg

With your budget the options are fairly limitless. There are many strong folders out there that will be useful. For under $150 you can get a buck custom shop 110 in s30v. It's a tried and true lockback design that will serve you well. I am assuming here that by "camp knife" you are not talking bushcraft or chopping duties. Rather food prep, line cutting, possibly a bit of skinning and other cutting chores. All through highschool and into my first two years of college all I ever took into the field was a 110 or an opinel and an Ontario pilots knife. Those knives accomplished everything I ever needed a knife for.

I've been using the Ontario Jerry Hossom Retribution 1 just as I would a fixed blade for several years on camping trips with my son's and it works just as well today as the day it arrived. It's hard to beat at that price for such a heavy duty, thick bladed, hard use folder.
Good luck!

Hay I was just wondering what the best folding camping knife. I am looking for a blade that keeps its edge well but is also incredibly strong. I am willing to pay up to $500 but the cheaper the better. Or if you dont know a good knife could you tell me a good steel or blade material that matched these qualifications that would also be great thanks.

A fixed blade.....

For me, my Victorinox Soldier 09 is one of the best folding knives for camping. It does almost all I want to do with a knife. For heavy duty tasks I use a fixed blade knife.

VicSoldier09.jpg

For me it's a combo, my Spyderco Military combined with a Victorinox Huntsman.
(also a fixedblade and/or small axe comes in handy sometimes)

If you are wanting a folder for slicing and working around the fire for cooking and stuff any well made folder will do. I usually always have a SAK pioneer and Spyderco Paramilitary with me when I camp but if you plan on doing any chopping, splitting and any rough work I would not use a folder at all.

My choice is the EKA Camp. 4,7" Sandvik 12C27 blade, kataba grind, lanyard tab lock.

MinEKACamp3.jpg

MinEKACamp-1.jpg

MinEKACamp2.jpg

~Paul~

I use fixed blades for the rough stuff, but smaller fixed or large folders for the food prep and the like. I recently got a Benchmade Onslaught, which I think would make a great camp folder.
BM741.jpg

This knife is pretty large with a generous handle. The blade is pretty thin however, for very good slicing in a knife this size. I wouldn't use this knife for heavy cutting, but as a folding kitchen knife, it is just the ticket.

Another folder I look forward to using as a camp knife is my Opinel #13 -
IMG-20111015-01001.jpg

IMG-20111015-00997.jpg

Not (IMO) for heavy use such as chopping, but great for processing food, just like a kitchen knife.

Andy

Benchmade Griptilian. It's pretty low on your price scale ($90) and it is very strong and durable. I have pounded through limbs with it and it was still cutting well. For a heavier duty folder, you might check out the Benchmade 275 Adamas. Also check out the Zero Tolerance folders because they have very strong blades and locks.

Back