best for home defense?

Locking your guns up is a wise precaution, but not keeping at least one out for social purposes makes as much sense as a screen door on a submarine. I also want to be a fly on the wall when any of ya'll try to explain to the DA why you hacked some poor fella to death with a khukri when you could have stood back and ventilated him with shotgun. A knife, any knife , is too personal for in house self-defense. Like someone else said, keep them out of reach. Make sure they're dead and there will be only one story to tell.

this is a forum bout khuks and apparently some feel actually speaking realistically about the subject is too real for them...

"As for the question of home defense, it's an ongoing argument and both sides have valid points. There's that case of an old man who successfully averted a home robbery with a gun - upon finding out that the gun was unregistered, the police took it away. He was robbed again at a later date, and without a means to protect himself, was strangled to death. I personally don't own a gun though, and if I did, I would keep it in a case, ammo and bolt separate, for recreational/hunting usage. Why? Because statistically, an unloaded gun kept accessible is 500% more likely to hurt a loved one than an intruder whereas a loaded one is an astonishing 900%. The percentage of break-ins that involve a gun-wielding robber is also VERY slim (I can't recall the percentage off the top of my head), so the idea of "gun-to-a-knife-fight" is nothing but fallacy..."

I don't know where you get your statistics, but the above is NOT true. It's more like the anti-gun propaganda spewed by Oprah Winfrey or Sarah Brady, et al. Unfortunately fro you, the facts do not bear your claim out. Most home invaders are armed with guns, usually stolen. Criminals don't purchase their guns legally. If they did, they could be traced back to them. The statistics so oft quoted by the anti-gun left have all been proven to be outright liesand fabrications.
Every time I've called 911, I've been put on hold. Not a good thing when your life is on the line.
Good luck getting your separately secured gun, bolt, and ammo into play before a home invader kills you. At least you can die knowing that you did the "right thing" as defined by the left.

Tasers are as useless as tits on a mule. I've been hit with a taser. It hurt, but didn't incapacitate me. I've also been hit with every stun gun I can come across at gun shows. It's the ultimate test of whether or not they work.
Cattle prods are much more effective than tasers/stun guns.
And, yes, it was the most recent model of taser. I was not impressed.
Electricity affects everyone differently, due to differing internal resistance, which is why you can't count on a taser.
You'd be better off with a full auto paintball gun loaded with the OC balls.
That or a shotgun loaded with less than lethal ammo such as bean bag rounds.
Legally, hacking someone to death is about as easily explained to the police, prosecutor, and jury as roasting them with a flame thrower.

If you're close enough to them to hack them up, they are close enough to you to do the same. Then you have differences in strength and agility in people. The bad guy may just be more of a badass then you are.
Martial arts will get your ass killed. They only work against someone fighting the same way as you. Criminals don't obey the rules of martial arts contests.
Meth turns people into monsters. You don't want to fight a methed up monster with your hands, a club, or a knife.

If you must use an edged weapon, you'd be better off with a short sword like a Tarwar or Wajaski.

Here's what a friend of mine who has a handgun (Glock 27 for anyone interested )for self defense does. Keeps it locked up at all times during the day then at night, takes it and the magazine out of the safe and puts it on his table next to his bed unloaded. He's a former Army Ranger so he can have the magazine in and the gun cocked and loaded in less than a second.

What is prac tac?

sub forum: Practical Tactical (8 Viewing)
General Tactical Discussion - The area where you learn to hone your skills, or help others improve their's. Also the place for gear and accessory discussion.

pretty much where this discussion should go, and probably has been discussed before.

Nice place, good people. :)

To those who are stating that guns are better than knives: Duh. That is all.

To the OP's topic: I don't know much about HI blades, unfortunately--I keep missing the DOTD threads! That said, I would suggest something in the 15" to 18" blade range that has a somewhat narrow blade if at all possible, because you aren't going to be relying on the weight of the blade so much as the curve of the edge and your own body mechanics. You want it to be light and fast, and ideally with a nice sharp point on it. Keep in mind when choosing the blade that you need to be able to effectively swing it at any point in your apartment--I have a functional katana from my iaijutsu practice a few years back, but I can't use it effectively in my apartment, so that doesn't do me any good. I would suggest finding a stick and cut it to replicate the length of a knife with an 18" blade and practice using it within the rooms and hallways you would need to defend. If you keep hitting the walls, or find that you are having trouble getting good angles of attack, trim it and try again until you find the correct blade length.

All that said, any khukri in that size range will work, so without the opportunity to test them out or customize the size, just pick the one you like best :)

Prac Tac. Puhleeeze!

if yourself and the good corporal find the discussion not to your liking, don't read it. :jerkit:
I do think the topic has gotten to the point where it should be moved to the Cantina however.

sub forum: Practical Tactical (8 Viewing)
General Tactical Discussion - The area where you learn to hone your skills, or help others improve their's. Also the place for gear and accessory discussion.

pretty much where this discussion should go, and probably has been discussed before.

Nice place, good people. :)

Thank you. :)

if yourself and the good corporal find the discussion not to your liking, don't read it. :jerkit:
I do think the topic has gotten to the point where it should be moved to the Cantina however.

The good Corporal would like to see people answer the OP's question, rather than tell him he's wrong and needs to use [X] instead.

That's the kind of no-answer junk that goes on in prac tac. If you can't answer the question without telling him why you think he's stupid, maybe YOU should just go hang out in prac tac, instead of getting this moved or locked?

Ok Guys.... As you know,[sarcasm] i have had way to much fun this weekend.[/sarcasm]
I would appreciate it if we could get back to being good to each other and answering the Op's concerns and helping him out, without all the extraeneous commentary that should probably be discussed elsewhere. I know a little veer is good, but you guys are making this thread an impossible thing to read or moderate.

Hey Noob, is it just possible that you're overreaching here? That jerk it smilie ain't makin points either. Ya might want to take it a little easy with that attitude in Yangdu's forum.

I and his Highness the Dalai Lama are asking nicely.
He knows i hate to have to lock this thread or hand out infractions, but i will if we cannot get along.

dalailamanaughty2.jpg

never said anyone was stupid and frankly could care less about the :jerkit: attitude you have shown me as I have tried to post in this and other threads.

I am sorry Karda, I do like you and Steely a lot but these two have been :jerkit: on me since I came here and I have just about had all I can take.

Ok, guys.
I am not speaking to any one of you, but the forum as a whole.

If you cannot be civil and friendly in your postings here, you need to step away from the keyboard. This is Yangdu's house and such behavior will not be tolerated.
Manners and Respect will go a long way here. keep that in mind.

This is a Final Warning. Any more of this, past this point, will result in Infractions.
No reply is needed.

Come on fellas, I know from reading that we're generally all good people. Misinterpretations from typed statements, without the non-verbal language to back it up and all.

I just received the ASTK today, which has a nice point. A little heavy, but I think it could work for SD.

Edit: assuming you don't have a firearm of course, which I do think would be the first thing to grab if something goes bump in the night.

OK. if I were being attacked in my house by zombies and didn't want to waste ammunition, and couldn't get the crossbow or Sam Yang 909 loaded quickly enough, or the wrist rocket slingshot, for that matter, I'd prefer a Tarwar in one hand with a Tamang in the other hand.
Tarwar gives you more reach than a standard length Khuk, yet is more maneuverable within the confines of a house or apartment than a katana.
The short Tibetan sword would be on my short list, too. As would the Wajaski, but I like the Tarwar and short Tibetan better. Just personal preference.
I still say a full-auto paintball gun, converted to run on HPA in lieu of CO2, loaded with the pepper balls. Non lethal, very painful, more effective than pepper spray. No paperwork involved in it's purchase. NO chance of going through walls and hitting an innocent in the apt next to yours. And, you can honestly tell the GF that it's not a firearm. It's a repurposed paint marker, for redefined objectives.

Almost forgot Der Hauswehr. I'm liking that one a lot.

Last edited:
ok just want to clear one thing up I can shoot and have since I was 5 years old but my guns are with my dad in my one ton safe.

I hope you let your Dad out before he turns blue! :)

Why not the Hauswehr? Seems that's what it was designed for. Or any of the longer, faster khuks such as the Gelbu, the Siru, or similar.

Andy

Back