Best fully serrated folder under $75

I used a serrated voyager for years cutting through solidified chunks of plastic as thick as a person's thigh nearly every day without a single resharpening. I also did much trimming/garden work with it in my grandmother's yard when she needed help. It stayed sharp until I changed jobs and got bored of the serrations. I have factual proof that it is fit for the job, and the 5" blade of the XL ensures that it will be less work to trim thicker plants if need be.

Please relate a real world experience where the Salt has done something similar for you. Reading information on websites is all and good, but if you're going to bash a suggestion, please have proof of both the inferiority of what you are bashing, and the superiority of what you yourself are suggesting.

There are TONS of examples of CS serrations breaking cutting things like CARDBOARD. I didn't break mine on cardboard(I broke one on a zip tie though) but it got ridiculously dull breaking down ONE box. I've never broken a Spyderco serration on cardboard or zipties, and I've never dulled a Spyderco breaking down a single box.

There are TONS of examples of CS serrations breaking cutting things like CARDBOARD. I didn't break mine on cardboard(I broke one on a zip tie though) but it got ridiculously dull breaking down ONE box. I've never broken a Spyderco serration on cardboard or zipties, and I've never dulled a Spyderco breaking down a single box.

I don't know where those examples are; you'd have to show me. I'm not comparing Spyderco and Cold Steel. I'm not a CS fan boy.

I'm saying that I have proof that older Voyager, which can still be found, made an awesome cutter that I didn't have to sharpen at all in the years that I had it. Despite it being used on things that a band saw would not cut through. Maybe it was the VG-1 version; I don't remember. I don't believe in using secondhand knowledge to talk down about someone's suggestion. Everyone and their mother is saying "Salt Salt Salt". I was simply giving another, longer option that I had experience with, an option that was bought for a purpose and excelled at it.

I don't know where those examples are; you'd have to show me. I'm not comparing Spyderco and Cold Steel. I'm not a CS fan boy.

I'm saying that I have proof that older Voyager, which can still be found, made an awesome cutter that I didn't have to sharpen at all in the years that I had it. Despite it being used on things that a band saw would not cut through. Maybe it was the VG-1 version; I don't remember. I don't believe in using secondhand knowledge to talk down about someone's suggestion. Everyone and their mother is saying "Salt Salt Salt". I was simply giving another, longer option that I had experience with, an option that was bought for a purpose and excelled at it.

Think there might be a reason? ;)

I ended up going with a serrated Byrd and a Rough Rider Trapperlock. I was interested in seeing how really budget knives perform against a Spyderco Delica and Benchmade minin presidio/mini grip and the Domino that I picked up just recently.

I almost pilled the trigger on the salt but its going to be a garden knife and its cutting squash not going to war with a big ass barracuda! Lol...

I am curious though to see how a thin traditional trapper blade shape will do up against modern serrations. And in other cases the super steel on the domino. I.e. will old school blade geometry beat out modern design? Its going to be fun!

As I said, I had a CS serration break cutting a one of the little zip ties used to bundle newspapers, and my large Voyager got completely dull breaking down ONE SINGLE BOX. That's not second hand knowledge mate, that's first hand experience, that happens to match the experience of many, many other users of CS knives.

As I said, I had a CS serration break cutting a one of the little zip ties used to bundle newspapers, and my large Voyager got completely dull breaking down ONE SINGLE BOX. That's not second hand knowledge mate, that's first hand experience, that happens to match the experience of many, many other users of CS knives.

Like I said, my Voyager was the older version. I have no idea how the AUS-8 serrated Voyagers are. Never had one. Maybe they've just downgraded a lot, but the older stuff was pretty awesome.

Like I said, my Voyager was the older version. I have no idea how the AUS-8 serrated Voyagers are. Never had one. Maybe they've just downgraded a lot, but the older stuff was pretty awesome.

The older stuff is/was an excellent treated VG-1, which gave a tough and aggressive serrated edge to the Voyagers. Those CS serrations will tear through plant fibers like $hite through a goose.

The older stuff is/was an excellent treated VG-1, which gave a tough and aggressive serrated edge to the Voyagers. Those CS serrations will tear through plant fibers like $hite through a goose.

:D Yeah they were beastly. I hope that the totally ridiculous limited Recon 1 combo tanto isn't the only folder they experiment with in terms of super steels. They couldn't have picked a worse combination to appeal to buyers. "Here, let's try out one of our knives in a sweet steel for all the knife guys, but let's market it to mall ninja spec ops dudes!"

Spyderco Pacific Salt (H-1 blade that's 3.812" long and 0.125" thick):
C91YL_L.jpg

Spyderco Salt I (H-1 blade that's 3" long and 0.093" thick):
C88YL_L.jpg

If you can swing it the little (2.75" blade) fixed blade Spyderco Enuff Sheepfoot with a blade thickness of 0.157" and a sheath that attaches fast.
FB31YL_L.jpg

Last edited:
:D Yeah they were beastly. I hope that the totally ridiculous limited Recon 1 combo tanto isn't the only folder they experiment with in terms of super steels. They couldn't have picked a worse combination to appeal to buyers. "Here, let's try out one of our knives in a sweet steel for all the knife guys, but let's market it to mall ninja spec ops dudes!"

Yeah, after all the requests for a steel upgrade, they offer it in that config WTH... Hope they come out with more down the road that's less mall ninja.

Have you taken a look at the sak soldier ?

Last edited:
Thanks guys I already tried out a serrated H1. I was just trying to make sure I had my bases covered. Ive been pleasantly surprised with the combo edge Cara Cara 2 at that price point.

Note that my original post was in search of a garden knife. The 8cr13mov fits the bill nicely. Great size and hand feel. Like a mini endura. And I've already had the vg10 serrated spydercos as well as Benchmade.

Another vote for Endura.. I carried a serrated one for over a decade, would def recommend it.

Yeah, after all the requests for a steel upgrade, they offer it in that config WTH... Hope they come out with more down the road that's less mall ninja.

Haha, my eyes bugged when I saw there were limited-edition Recon 1s in CTS-XHP for a mere $99.95

My eyes bugged again when I saw it was only offered with the double-whammy of Cold Steel tanto and Cold Steel serrations

Still slightly tempting but no thank you! Waiting for a plain edge version, preferably spearpoint...

Haha, my eyes bugged when I saw there were limited-edition Recon 1s in CTS-XHP for a mere $99.95

My eyes bugged again when I saw it was only offered with the double-whammy of Cold Steel tanto and Cold Steel serrations

Still slightly tempting but no thank you! Waiting for a plain edge version, preferably spearpoint...

I doubt it. The Warcraft in 3V is their only other foray...based on the looks and styling of the two, it seems plain that they want to combine upgraded steels with their most "military fantasy" looking knives. I say that because no soldier would lug around that Warcraft tanto, and it is obviously built for that purpose.

I doubt it. The Warcraft in 3V is their only other foray...based on the looks and styling of the two, it seems plain that they want to combine upgraded steels with their most "military fantasy" looking knives. I say that because no soldier would lug around that Warcraft tanto, and it is obviously built for that purpose.

Supposedly, their 2015 catalog was accidentally(?) released, and it had the entire Recon-1 lineup in the CTS-XHP.

I own two fully serrated knives (other than kitchen knives); an older SOG and the Spyderco Endura. Always been happy with the Endura but I don't EDC it. I prefer the size of the Delica. The SOG was always okay for me as it is small enough to carry in my pocket in addition to another knife.

How did that Rough Rider do?

For garden use on vines and plants. It was pretty much no competition. I cut
all day and the RR was a scalpel, held its edge too as none of the cutting was very heavy duty. Took about 40 seconds to touch up. And the design was fine. Someone reported that the mechanism didn't lock but it was not true in my case. I like the Trapperlock a lot. Loved the Cara Cara 2. Its a low budget win for anyone trying to find a decent user for $19.

For heavy vines the combo edged Delica, Cara Cara and mini presidios serrated side all did admirably. I prefer the in between Delica and Endura size of the Cara Cara though.

I left the Domino out of the fray this time. Lovely knife as well.

Back