1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Best hatchet under or around $50

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Aerosmith101, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Aerosmith101

Aerosmith101

Oct 28, 2018
    I'm looking for a decent USA or European made hatchet for under or around $50

2. SoBoCo

SoBoCo

Feb 8, 2017
    Husqvarna seems to be well regarded and around (or under) $50

3. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    What kind of hatchet are you looking for? Use, weight, handle length etc.
    This newcomer from Council Tools has hardened poll
    http://www.baryonyxknife.com/cotoha.html
    Most of Vaughan hatchets (not full size axes) are made in USA
    https://www.vaughanmfg.com/Products/SC1-14-Supersteel-Camp-Axe__33220.aspx#.XZ5Idn97nIU
    https://www.vaughanmfg.com/Products/SH2-22-oz-Standard-Half-Hatchet__20520.aspx#.XZ5Hrn97nIU
    https://www.vaughanmfg.com/Products/RB-28-oz-Rig-Builders-Hatchet__20420.aspx#.XZ5QRn97nIU

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  4. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
  5. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Vaughan is definitely the way to go.

6. Riz!

Riz!

May 5, 2014
    Ill probably get roasted for saying this but I have had a gerber/fiskars hatchet for years and it has been a very functional tool. Its been practically indestructible, chops well, and hasnt rusted even with minimal care

7. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    They have a place in the line-up.
    [​IMG]

8. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    I picked one up at a yard sale to have around camp so that friends wouldn't trash my good ones. It works much better than I was expecting and like you said pretty well indestructible. It was the right tool for the job.

9. Allan DeGroot

Allan DeGroot

Jun 15, 2019
    Under $50 puts the indestructible Estwing E14A in contention! at $35 average pricing...

If you want something bigger you can easily find an E45 for that price! even a snazzy limited edition version for that price!

10. albertmitchell

albertmitchell

Oct 11, 2019
    I would like to mention another hatchet - CAMAQUI Hatchet. Price about $50. It comes in two styles: Northern and Eastern. The Eastern style is lighter in weight at 1.88 pounds, has a smaller head and slimmer handle, and features a rose wood handle.

Hairy Clipper likes this.
  11. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Looks like a cheap Asian import. I can't imagine spending twice the price of a Vaughan on that.

Yankee Josh, Fmont, A17 and 1 other person like this.
  12. plumberroy

plumberroy

Jan 27, 2007
    Vaughan or council tool.

13. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I know it's been mentioned already but it's pretty hard to beat the flying fox from council tool.
    These photos are after I slimmed down the haft and filed and honed the bit; [​IMG] [​IMG]
    No one can weigh in on longevity due to it being new to the market. But it's kind of a mute point anyway because of course it's going to last! A very good hatchet and money well spent in my opinion.
    OP hasn't been seen since the 10th so I'm probably writing this for nothing. Haha.

14. thunderstick

thunderstick

Jan 15, 2007
    My votes are:
    Hatchet--Vaughn
    Belt axe--Council Tool Hudson Bay, Flying Fox or Husquvarna