Recommendation? Best High End Flipper?

Hey guys, looking to get a recommendation on a quality midrange flipper. Looking to spend $350 - $400. I'm mostly interested in Mid Techs but production folders might be considered. 3.5 inches is my favorite size. I'm a fan of tactical folders because they're overbuilt but I want something very smooth and reliable for EDC and outdoor use. I have a Medford 187 flipper so I'd like something similar but on bearings. Thank you!

Last edited:
How do you define best? I mean, are you looking for a working knife that will be reliable and durable under less than ideal conditions? Versatility for all sorts of different uses? Comfort? Best materials? It's all very subjective.

$350 to $400 in not high end. High end is upwards $500- $1,000
I don't think there is a best but I just ordered
Todd begg steelcraft bodega $460. It's on the higher end production flipper it's well built knife. Just waiting for delivery.

Olamic mid tech or Search Ferrum Forge on the exchange here. Those are the two I would consider the most. Olamic's Wayfarer 247 is an awesome knife!!!
My favorite is Ferrum Forge knives for all around EDC knives, more all around quality than just smooth flipper to play with. I found my FFKW Fortis on the exchange here for $325 like new, best 325 I have ever spent on a knife! If you are looking for something super smooth and solid, you could save a few hundred dollars and get a Real Steel Sea Eagle. Reate knives are very good knives, very solid knives. WE, Rike, Kizer knives are good. One of my top 3 favorites for EDC is Jeremy Robertson's El Patron.
You did not give a size preference, but Lionsteel knives have some great offerings. Brous knives, never owned one, but hear good things. Hinderer knives are good.

The above post is correct though, 300-400 is far from high end, especially when you are talking customs midtechs. But if you do some good searching and have a little patience, you can find some great deals!! Good luck man!

I am a Shirogorov fanboy, I have never handled the Olamic or Todd Begg Steelcraft knifes I am sure there great as well but the Shiro's have a incredible action.

IMG_0242.jpg IMG_0238.jpg
$350 to $400 in not high end. High end is upwards $500- $1,000
I don't think there is a best but I just ordered
Todd begg steelcraft bodega $460. It's on the higher end production flipper it's well built knife. Just waiting for delivery.
as an owner and passionate fanboy I second the steelcraft bodega. But I do think anything over $300 is high end. If the quality, materials and finish are there I would call it high end.

That's nice!!!
I went black and silver with black Blade.
I was looking at field grade bodega's little high in price for me.
Glad I ran across steelcraft series.

The black blades look nice. I chose the satin because those blades are actually handground with the hand satin finish just really seemed like a high end option for no extra dough. I had a field grade and sold it because for me it just wasn't bodega enough. Especially when I got mine because they were not offering the fluted bodega blade. These steelcraft are really close to a bodega 2.0. I absolutely love mine.

Hey - good question. I think I'll learn a lot from the answers you receive.

I don't know what the best is since there are so many out there.

These are the ones I own so they are the only ones I can vouch for. Some cost less than $350 but I think they are worth considering:

- Bastellini R.E.D. (A great and rather unique knife that deserves more attention).
- Guardian Helix Nano (An amazing knife that sized well for EDC but can handle larger tasks. "Tactical" look/feel)
- Rick Hinderer Jurassic (Does everything right + high cool factor)
- Spartan Metis Flipper (Super blade action. Small size is good for everyday carry but could be too small for some people's needs)
- Spartan Pallas (Impressive knife that puts function over form - perhaps a bit "Plain Jane" on the appearance front but I like that.)
- Brian Tighe and Friends Small Tighe Fighter (Very light and smooth. Brilliant in it's simplicity)
- Freeman 451 Button Lock (You can "build your own" on their site)
- Bradford Guardian3 Flipper (A great knife from a great company)

Hope that helps. Sorry if I wasted space mentioning the sub-$350 priced knives but I view these as all being fairly equal regardless of what I paid for them.

Yes anything from Olamic or Ferrum would be a great choice. The Steelcraft Bodega and Kwaiken are also quite nice.

Guardian Tactical is putting out some nice stuff.

If you are getting a Spartan flipper please go somewhere you can handle it first. Many I have handled have had one problem or another.

Reactions: Mo2
View attachment 761696 View attachment 761697 View attachment 761698 View attachment 761700 View attachment 761701 View attachment 761703 Some flippers that have performed amazingly well for me and will never be sold or traded.
Not only are all great & smooth flippers, they also lock up tight, comfy in hand and cut like lasers!!
Joe

Great examples!! I want to love the Southard so badly and there are so many times I almost bought it....I just cannot get over that paper thin tip.

Have you held one and checked it out LD??
Tip isn't crazy thin. Great blade steel too.
Had mine for about 2 years and have no complaints!
Great knife.
Joe

Great examples!! I want to love the Southard so badly and there are so many times I almost bought it....I just cannot get over that paper thin tip.

Hey - good question. I think I'll learn a lot from the answers you receive.

I don't know what the best is since there are so many out there.

These are the ones I own so they are the only ones I can vouch for. Some cost less than $350 but I think they are worth considering:
8<----------------Snip
Hope that helps. Sorry if I wasted space mentioning the sub-$350 priced knives but I view these as all being fairly equal regardless of what I paid for them.
Quite a nice collection sir!

Thanks. I'm pretty new to the knife community but now I'm in deep. I love the designs, workmanship, and diversity of the different company's and makers' products.

Also fascinated by the knife culture and level of people's knowledge.

I want to see more posts in the hopes of finding something new but kind of hope I don't too - I'm finding it impossible to fight the buying temptations.

My quick "progression" (digression?) from SOG, Kershaw, CRKT... to the expensive stuff has me thinking I may need intervention.

midrange, best flipper, tactical, 3.5"...all these scream for ZT. With the $$, I would buy a ZT 0562cf and a ZT 0801TI, from the Exchange. And I will buy them right away as FanBoy is selling these exact two.

Back