Best knife for Euro Travel?

This summer, i am traveling to Paris, Florence, Milan and to top off teh trip, Rome and the vatican. so i was wondering, which knife/multi should i pack?

I was thinking an ALOX swiss army knife no matter what, but besides that what do you all suggest utility and legality wise?

for single blade knives i was thinking

Spyderco Wharnie Urban
Spyderco UKPK

Multitools i was thinking

Juice S2
Freestyle

My price range is Sub 100
I prefer shorter knives
Bright colors
Sheeple friendly
non locking preferably

hope you all can help

Cheers!

the Colonel

Knife laws vary significantly across Europe. Personally when I go to other Euro countries I go for a basic non locking SAK. It does most things and its no big deal if its lost.

I'd agree with going something sheeple friendly (like SAK) and cheap (risk of losing). If you feel paranoid, take few since they are so affordable anyway.

Get a traditional American slipjoint from CASE or Queen Cutlery in a decent looking bone.A medium Stockman gives you three blades and is not big or heavy on the pocket.Looks very nice (and un-menacing)when used for food prep or pocket chores, it will attract welcome attention.

you can buy some of the french knives once you get there...douk douk, opinel, and a nice laguiole
other than that...you can get away with a sak soldier, small and friendly.
and a pink izula would be very nice, i think
Cheers

Get a FACK : French Army cool Knife

FrenchArmyKnife.jpg

Last edited:
I doubt your knives will be any problem, just as long as you dont forget to put them in the luggage when you are flying.

As long as you use the knives in a normal and natural way I dont think the police will say anything even if they see you.

well I live in Italy, here you are allowed to carry only with a "reason" but talking around the best thing is a Victorinox that is well known by anyone
or a slipjoint like case or gec, non locking is better

non scary or strange knives are suggestable, in Germany and UK SAK are seen well, i've asked

a multitool is OK, spirit is the best

Maxx

Get a traditional American slipjoint from CASE or Queen Cutlery in a decent looking bone.A medium Stockman gives you three blades and is not big or heavy on the pocket.Looks very nice (and un-menacing)when used for food prep or pocket chores, it will attract welcome attention.

Keep the blade length under 3 inches - a peanut or small stockman would probably be ok

If I would go visiting cities only, I would put a Victorinox Climber in the pocket and a Leatherman Wave in the backpack.

I recommend a Leatherman Juice in the backpack, a SAK Soldier in the pocket.

Non threatening and can do most of the important things you need do to like opening wine bottles, slicing cheese, sausage, bread and olives.:)

Sounds like a great trip!

you'd get away with those new delica's in ffg and in blue or so,
i live in europe and take my manix 2 or mini rukus or knives along those lines with me everyday or everywhere i go. Havn't encountered any problems so far

i do always carry a sak for when i'm in stores or when there ar a ton of people around me ;)

Depends on where in Europe you're going. The british have different laws than the french, the french other than the Dutch and the Danish different from the Germans...

Safest bet for all round is a SAK or perhaps a nice non-locking smaller slipjoint.

This summer, i am traveling to Paris, Florence, Milan and to top off the trip, Rome and the vatican. so i was wondering, which knife/multi should i pack?

I was thinking an ALOX swiss army knife no matter what, but besides that what do you all suggest utility and legality wise?

for single blade knives i was thinking

Spyderco Wharnie Urban
Spyderco UKPK

Multitools i was thinking

Juice S2
Freestyle

I'm American but have lived off and on in Europe for 15+ years. Here's my advice. If you drink wine, bring a non-locking SAK with a corkscrew. If not, an alox SAK will be fine ..... better than fine, actually. :thumbup:

If you feel you need a single-blade locking knife too, buy an Opinel or even wait and pick one up when you get there.

In addition to being quality knives, the Opinel and the SAK are ubiquitous in Europe - no one will blink an eye seeing you using them. They're also quite cheap so, if you lose one, no big deal.

Remember, when you're traveling in a country where you don't speak the language, what's "legal to carry" is generally whatever the cop you're dealing with thinks is legal for you to carry.

No matter what you carry, if you use a little common sense, behave decently and look - for lack of a better term - normal, I don't think you'll have any problems at all. I'll adjust this assessment if you have a green mohawk, nose ring, neck tatoos, etc. If this is the case, A) stick to a non-locking SAK and B) stay the hell away from my daughter.

Don't take knives, buy them there. They are less expensive, you get to do some knife shops and the locals know the laws. Of course, a cork screw is a must in Europe; perfect for those little impromptu picnics with bread and cheese.

Make sure to check local knife laws!

Don't take a knife to italy....They're way tight on knives.

Maybe a small opinel nr 6 or something like that. Something sheeple friendly, and not too expensive in case you lose it. Opinel would be perfect for that.

Back