Best knife for Euro Travel?

In keeping with the advice already received, the laws vary country to country.

I know that some don't allow locking blades, and some don't allow thumbstuds. I don't know how they feel about thumb holes like Spyderco's, but suspect they would view them the same as studs.

Non locking, with nail nicks, small, non tactical looking.

I also think the advice to buy while over there is good, Maybe you can bring back something unique.

Kevin

1011258613.jpg

The europe hate is getting kind of old.

Get a FACK : French Army cool Knife

FrenchArmyKnife.jpg

I want one of those.

Anyhow, I'd bring one expendable knife/multitool.

If you're going to museums, some have metal detectors, some even have baggage X-rays (in my experience, I was with a group of students, they took away a bottle/cork opener from some guy, though he did get to reclaim it later). So keep it expendable.

Don't take a knife to italy....They're way tight on knives.

Last time I visited Rome, I noticed there are metal detectors introduced at several places, amongst them are the colosseum and the Vatican city. Friends told me about that before I went to Rome, so I left my SAK in the hotel room.

I lived in Spain, several years ago. The whole time I was there I carried a Victorinox soldier. Nobody said a word about it. I carried it to museums,train stations, etc. This was pre 9-11, so I am sure some things have changed. I'm sure you'll have a great time over there. I know I did!

Last time I visited Rome, I noticed there are metal detectors introduced at several places, amongst them are the colosseum and the Vatican city. Friends told me about that before I went to Rome, so I left my SAK in the hotel room.

Same here, I went there last week. Vatican, the St. Peter, and several other important churches have metal detectors and baggage scanners. The vatican stole my Spyderco bug :( :p
In Italy they're pretty tight on knives even when you're not in church. Obviously, a SAK or really small Opinel isn't going to set them off, but otherwise you need a valid reason to carry a knife (valid is a matter of perspective).

In other EU countries most knives are fine, as long as it's not too big.

yet another vote for a non-locking SAK or cheap penny knife (should it become necessary to have to surrender the bladed tool into permanent custody).

You will do a nice trip !
As others have mentioned, a SAK will not be frowned upon. And if you look decent enough, there is zero percent chance of a body search by the police. But do not put it in your hand luggage in the airport.

You didn't ask for it, but here is my great tip. When in Paris (Ahhh! such a lovely city!), try to squeeze in a quick visit to Couteaux Courty, it's close to Opera. In fact if you go with your wife she'll probably want to go shopping or at least windowshopping in Lafayette etc which are not far, and you could take a stroll to Courty. Courty has a great selection of French knives, which are very different from most American knives - overly generalised these are EDCs that should look good at the table! I do especially recommend to check out the Chambriard Le Compagnon in the shop. A very nice good quality Le Thiers-style slipjoint, offered at a decent price. Somewhat more expensive but very desirable are the Perceval Le Français and Perceval L10. And you'll encounter plenty more temptations, like anything by Fontenille-Pataud or the affordable Douk-douk etc!
(EDIT) Also while in Italy try to find a shop with lovely regional Italian knives, for example from Consigli or Saladini.

Last edited:
I think that there is a general 'law'' applicable: in areas with high population density knives are generally less accepted than in areas with low population density.

Here in the Netherlands you can carry a knive at the country side or hiking in some national park, no problem if the knive is legal and you're acting normal, but in the big cities like Amsterdam there are zero tolerance areas. I think the same counts for the other EU countries and probably also outside the EU.

BF's helpful forumites have already said it. Go for a SAK, a Leatherman Kick, Juice or Knifeless Fuse. Opinels, Douk Douk's and the traditional looking knives such as Case are all good too. Try to keep them non-locking, reasonable in size, and stay away from the tactical look.

Knife laws in Europe vary greatly. Some countries are very strict, and dont even allow one-handed (studs, flippers, holes etc) opening knives and almost all countries requires you to have a valid reason to carry one. And slicing fruit isnt a valid reason.

That being said, if you exercise common sense and dont flaunt your knife in a threatening matter i strongly doubt that anybody will take notice. And the chance of getting stopped is near zero, that is assuming you dont look like a troublemaker or behave idiotically.

Have a nice trip!

anyone know how easy it is to find a Laguiole for a decent price in paris, florence, or rome?

Don't take knives, buy them there. They are less expensive, you get to do some knife shops and the locals know the laws. Of course, a cork screw is a must in Europe; perfect for those little impromptu picnics with bread and cheese.

^^^^^Absolutely the best advise given!

Anything Busse...

I did some backpacking in 6 countries in Western Europe, had a SAK. Also carried a more tactical knife, I think it was a cheap knockoff of a Spyderco. It was before I was more into quality knives :p

Anyways, I figured I had a valid enough reason for carrying it. For one thing, it was deep in my backpack. Since I had to carry just about everything on me at all times, I need a knife for food prep. Slicing bread and cheese with a small SAK isn't always the most fun choice.

But I don't think I ever even used it, the SAK worked out well enough :D

I'll go along with the "buy there" crowd.

A few years back, I was in the Loire Valley and bought several modestly-priced knives spanning styles of the region as I traveled. One even came from a cutlery shop built into a "roach coach" style van. The owner sold at the market days villages up and down the valley.

As a bonus, I found a book on regional cutlery and its history. What a set of great souvenirs.

The knife laws in Europe are totally crazy.
If you buy a knife in Sweden it is illegal in Denmark because the blade locks.
However the knife is legal in Germany as long as it doesnt have one hand opening features.
In UK on the other hand it is illegal, period.

Most countries have banned blades that locks and one hand opening gadgets. Many countries have a maximum blade length.
A normal Leatherman Wave is in legal terms illegal in many countries in Europe.

There are no sideclip or concealed carry regulations so just put the knife in your pocket or in your pack. The regular SAK will go unnoticed unless you do something stupid.

UKPK or Urban would work. I would look up the knife laws first. There is a subforum here dedicated to knife laws.

The knife laws in Europe are totally crazy.

Need more reason to visit the beautiful city of Prague? When I'm in the Czech Republic, I can carry any knife I want. Locking, one-hander, AI, whatever. 'Course I still tend to carry only a SAK ..... gotta be able to open those beers! :D

Back