Best knife under $500

Sebenza... Sure there are finger fidgeting knives and and flipper knives that are great but the best user knife I have out of them all is the sebenza.

Next to that most spyderco knives are amazing users but not in your price range as they are much cheaper.
I was thinking the same thing. IMO , the Military is an outstanding larger knife for EDC.

CRK and RHK come to mind first. I've heard Reate knives are well made too.

Custom knife factory (CKF) makes good knives too.

If you're looking for overbuilt, Medford knives I guess. I don't have any experience with them.

I'm very interested in the Medford production Praetorian

Have you ever handled a Medford? It’s ... let’s call it a polarizing experience.

You will either drown yourself in Kool-Aid, and have “You Get What You Pay For” etched on your tombstone, or you’ll go, “this isn’t done, right? There’s still milling to be done. Lots of it.”

I own one and love it. It isn’t for everyone though. Something that must be handled before buying IMO.

I paid under $500USD new for mine a few months ago.
No I haven't handled a Medford before but, everything about a Medford is just right for me

OP - ask yourself what the knife will be used for. Also, $50 is under $500, so a more specific price range like $350-$500 would be more meaningful. Nonetheless here are some of my favorites

XinAnZy.jpg

QeoIrHb.jpg

HtxMKKW.jpg

I think the large PJ Inkosi can be interesting

It has a good blade stock but can still cut
The construction is simple and robust

The pivot and stop pin are large enough to support some serious abuse

I'm a proud drinker of the Medford Kool-aid and it's delicious. :D I have not owned a production Praetorian. I'm sure they are nice but not on the same level as the regular Medford mid-techs.

Last edited:
A Sebenza will do all jobs a knife is made for and cut well also. Going to heavier stock(Hinderer would fit well) you give up some of the slicer qualities. There is a give and take to consider and only you can decide if what you loose is worth what you gain. If your prying-go to a pry bar or at least a fixed blade,
There are plenty of other knives out there in your price range but I find the Sebenza to be a good all around user. You can even get into some customs(New and used) in that range, that are pretty interesting.

Last edited:
While a custom Demko is going to be out of the question a Cold Steel 4-Max with the Triad lock will be below your budget and most likely be the strongest design overall for a folder. There are vendors here on the forum that may have them in stock.

... what is the best "overbuilt" knife in this price range.

I originally meant folding blades ...

Seems the general consensus is that Demko's tri-ad lock is the strongest folding lock and the 4Max is the strongest/most overbuilt production knife with that lock. Personally, I like the #2 in their line-up better... the SR1 (and own both).

edit: haha... ^^ nato beat me to the button.

Aside the usual suspects from ZT, Spyderco, Benchmade, Boker, etc, I have a clear preference for semi-custom/low production full flat grind flippers from 3.5" to 4" in folders and fixed blades for general utility/work knives. Mostly drop points. Here are a few I have, am on a wait list for, or have my eye on. Manly deserves a mention too.

CRK Impinda
Skaha II
Laconico EZC
Laconico Keen
Liong Mah Endevour
Spartan Harsey

Above $500 begins

Sander Contra
Shirogorov F3

The Keen and F3 cover my EDC needs very well. An Impinda will fill the slipjoint slot for NYC laws. Just got a vintage Hackman Tapio Wirkkala Puukko, have two customs in the works, and a Cohutta Strebig finished and out for delivery Monday. A Wüsthof 4582/26, 6 3/8" French butcher's knife, a 10" serrated Victorinox Pastry knife, two cleavers and a 9-inch carving knife fill out the kitchen roles.

I have a plan.

I have two current EDC Benchmades folders that i can't pick one over the other
Benchmade 8600 Bedlam
Benchmade 810-1401 Contego

Until they make a fixed Bedlam, my top fixed is the Benchmade SOCP 178S ( however i greatly dislike the new folder version 390). I have carried the 178S everyday since purchased almost a year ago. Not your typical top choice, but it is perfect for me as a tactical & sooo utilitarian for EDC.
Did i mention that i am a huge Benchmade fan?

Another vote for Sebenza/Inkosi. However, the ZT 0562 in any variation punches above its weight especially for the price. You don't NEED to spend $500 for a great knife.

Oh, I don't know, 5 Spyderco PM2s?

There are lots of great, well built knives well under $500. The PM2 is as good place to start as any.

Back