Best knife under $500

I think most are missing the point. I'm looking for opinions hoping to "expand my horizons." Due to the holiday overtime as an electrician I decided to hit the used market and get two knives. The first was a fatty xm-18 with the harpoon tanto. The second is the production Praetorian. I already have the xm-18 and the Medford is expected tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your opinion and keep the suggestions coming because we all now these won't be my last purchases...

I think most are missing the point. I'm looking for opinions hoping to "expand my horizons." Due to the holiday overtime as an electrician...
So the point was that you shock yourself for fun and profit? :D

I still think you could do that pretty good with an Arius...

So the point was that you shock yourself for fun and profit? :D

I still think you could do that pretty good with an Arius...
The arius is a really good looking knife. When I own something that looks that good I tend to not use it in hopes of keeping it pretty

So you're saying you want a fugly knife? Doing good with the Medford. Maybe a Strider? I think Heeters are above you price range.

So you're saying you want a fugly knife? Doing good with the Medford. Maybe a Strider? I think Heeters are above you price range.

No, I get the sense that you're someone that doesn't like it when a person has a different POV than you do. I like beefier, bigger knifes that fill my hand, and that's what I bought. That's the beauty of this hobby. You have almost an unlimited amount of choices to choose from. Which ones look the best and which ones are fugly is completely subjective. the reason I started this thread was to hear about what people like in this price range and why they like it. Not to start an argument and belittle people for what they like or perfer.

I like beefier, bigger knifes that fill my hand, and that's what I bought.
Wanting beefy knives is a completely valid reason to avoid a Sebenza and an Arius. Could have said that in the first place instead of callin them "too nice". Good luck with the hunt.

There's a lot of good knives to be had under $500 bucks. Having a ZT 0562, and a Hinderer XM-18 Gen 6 3.5 Tri Way, IMO the Hinderer is the one to buy!

Another knife I like is the CRKT Hi Jinx made in Italy by Lion Steel. It was Blade Magazines 2014 Overall Knife of the Year. Great balance. Here is a video about it if not familiar.

Best bang for the under 500 buck is Dpx hest 3-1/4" folder and their new urban 2.9" folder. Overbuilt and top notch construction. Italy and USA made stuff.

I'd recommend the G&G Hawk MUDD auto or regular MUDD at this price point. Fill the hand nicely and can take quite a bit of punishment. You can wait for the next run from the Hawks or find one on the secondary.

I will go with Shabazz and say the Three Rivers MFG. Neutron, although I am drooling with anticipation for the Atom.

Wanting beefy knives is a completely valid reason to avoid a Sebenza and an Arius. Could have said that in the first place instead of callin them "too nice". Good luck with the hunt.
I don’t know — the Arius can take hard use and fills my XL hand better than most knives I’ve tried. Plus Koenig provides great customer service to go with the lifetime warranty.

Best bang for the under 500 buck is Dpx hest 3-1/4" folder and their new urban 2.9" folder. Overbuilt and top notch construction. Italy and USA made stuff.

It’s a god value. It’s got some quirks that kind of bring the value down. (HEST 2.0 I have no exp with the Urban) It’s got a lock that seems to creep over to the right when you cut. (Fixed this by bending lockbar in abit) it’s got an overly radiused tang lockface which means if the lock wears too much it will probably be developing lock rock.

I seem to have mitigated the wear abit by not cleaning the black mark on the tang lockface that the lockbar leaves; which luckily doesn’t cause lockslip on this model (or atleast on mine)

But considering I can do those two things to mitigate the quirks the DPX HEST 2.0 is an outstandinf knife that has a way lower price than it should. The reason the price is so low seems to be due to a bad stigma that has stuck around from issues with the HEST 1.0 model.

Might as well take advantage of the artificially low price.

Back