Best Kukri For Survival of The FiTTeST? END of The World, SHTF Scenarios?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I have been reading this site for the last 3 months religiously.. I have read the Himalayan site from top to bottom a couple of times now too.. Its ALL becoming a blur..

All this because I wanted a Kukri.. The internet led me to Cold Steel versions as being one of the best kuk you could get.. And shoot at those prices I could easily afford 2-3 of them..

BUT somehow I stumbled upon the HI website and its "authentic" Kukri's.. but UNFORTUNATELY the prices are UNATTAINABLE for me right now.. but then I discovered these DOTD's on this forum.. so NOW i have hope.. I have been saving for some months now.. and I might be able to soon afford one in the $60 - $90 range...

I am looking into one for a WORST CASE SCENARIO, SHTF type..

Lets say the Walking Dead(zombies) happens tomorrow.... WHICH Kukri would serve best?

from this site, I learned 15" is probably the best size to get started in..

So there you have it..

let me know what you all think or opine on this topic?

many thanks to you all and this forum, I have learned alot..

if it wasn't for you guys.. I would probably be the owner of 2 COLDSTEEL kukri like knives right now.. but I am saving and holding out for the better quality, AUTHENTIC Kukri...

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE!Q!

oNe

I like my M43. I customized the grip and it fits my hand perfectly but I like the lanyard hole in my ASTK. If I could have a lanyard hole in my M43 it would go with me till the end. My second would be my YCS.

I have to say, you're doing the right thing holding out for an HI. HI khukuri are, quite simply, the best.

I personally prefer the 18" models, but if you want to go with a 15", you can't really go wrong.

And I'll give you the same advice that I give everyone, and I sincerely hope you take it:

Research carefully, and choose the one that calls to you the most. Think about how heavy you want to be wielding, tip profile, finish, overall looks, etc.

The thinner ones, like sirupati and gelbu special are very quick, and I'd venture to say would be great against zombies. Ultimate Fighter, even on DOTD, will likely be outside your budget. If you're looking for a general use sort of thing where durability is key, you may want to go with a larger model. Just look through them, research spine thickness, think about what you want out of the blade, and pick the one that calls to you the most. And remember, it's pretty much impossible to get just one HI. Once you buy one, you're going to be seriously hooked.

If money is tight enough to constrain what you might buy as a literal life-insurance, maybe your investment should be going elsewhere. Survival in a worst case scenario might depend on very basic tools, but more so on skills and prior knowledge. Not that I'm discouraging you from owning a khukri. Blades on this sight are more practical, beautiful, and intimidating than most everything else imho. I'm just suggesting an affordable small blade, some maps, water purification, anti-biotics, lashing, wool clothes and blanket, and firestarting tools, etc > badass knife.

The walking dead have already happened by the way. They just don't bite and aren't considered fair game.

Not gonna lie, if someone tries to eat my face, I'm going to defend myself. Probably good in some ways that I don't EDC any of my khukuri.

How strong are you? Do you lift weights, how much can you curl with one arm and do sets with? Do you ever swing an axe? How much does it weigh? How big are your hands? What size glove? How will you carry it? Baldric. belt, ruck? Will you use it at all or just train for SHTF? This will help you make the best choice.

IMHO --- for humans OR Zombies , I'd like something like a 20" Kobra that weights around 25 ounces --- fasssst is always a Good Thing when dealing with something that can hurt you back.

the strongest, from what i understand would be a busse kukri. there is a thread in the swamp rat section that people are asking for sw to make a kukri aswell. idk when or if thats going to happen...

the strongest, from what i understand would be a busse kukri. there is a thread in the swamp rat section that people are asking for sw to make a kukri aswell. idk when or if thats going to happen...

The OP is asking which H.I. product he should buy. Not nice to be recommending others products on our showroom floor.
As for the Busses being the strongest? Nice Knives, but that is subjective and debatable (no we will not debate it here).

SuperCAK2.jpg

From Khadka, barnone.

I have a medium sized kukri from a german online shop. I like it because it's not too heavy but still has a lot of spine. However, I'm aiming for a full tang version with a 10'' blade ([Removed] ). As soon as I have that one, Armageddon can come :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Of the HI products I have used nothing can compare to my Bonecutter. It is by far the best chopper but it is also not a huge overly heavy blade the would be problematic in a survival situation. It has that something special quality that cannot really be explained other than to say it sings in hand. Anyone that touches it gets the same impression.

My choice, from the HI blades I own would be my 20 9/16", 28oz. Foxy Folly.
It is a powerful chopper while still maintaining a fast fighter weight.Hi Fun WFullers 006.JPG
It is the second in from the left.

For battle-18"-21" Gelbu,Chitlangi,Sirupati or Kobra.End of "zombie" story. :D

Last edited:
The ol' M-43 sent plenty of heads rolling on the front lines. I know that it's one of my favorite go-to khuks:)

I think something like a "16,5 CAK or a light WWII "18 would be my choice. Face it, all khukuris from "12 - "15 that are not extremely heavy are fearsome weapons because they can take off an arm in a single blow. Isn't that what you need against zombies? Hence, a good allrounder that doesn't weigh too much is what you'd want.

Mac

This is a fun thread and no one can fault you for killing a zombie, since it's already dead.

However, no khukuri will help you in a real Worst Case Scenario. That would include things like tsunamis, global famine and drought, epidemics, nuclear war, meteor striking the earth, etc.

I suppose the handful of survivors, if any, might live a little longer with a good khukuri.

On the other hand, if Worst Case Scenario means getting mugged, then I would go with a fast light weight model such as the sirupati, chitlangi or gelbu special. Something in the 16-22 oz weight range, unless you are unusually big and strong. Some will disagree but I think that a few inches difference in blade length is of lesser importance in most self-defense situations.

The problem is that in many places it's illegal to carry such a weapon concealed, and if you carry it openly people will question your intentions (to put it mildly).

-- Dave

I buy and collect kukris for their beauty and usefulness. Any heavy blade will get the job done in reference to zombies but I perfer mine to have some style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back