Best Looking Spydercos

I've always thought the Southard is a pretty good looking Spydie:

20140918_184949454_iOS_zps67843393.jpg

WTF is that scale. I got a kevlar one on mine, but might have to make a change. Love those. Acrylic maybe?

WTF is that scale. I got a kevlar one on mine, but might have to make a change. Love those. Acrylic maybe?

I believe the material is called "JUMA" and the color is "Ivory Snake(skin)." It is sexy. Forum member "Keyman" over in the Benchmade section makes scales with the stuff.

I realize I'm probably in the minority with my tastes on Spyderco knives, but I prefer the more sleek knives in their catalog. The Nilakka is hands down my favorite looking Spyderco, and its not even close. It is a such a simple, classic, and self-contained design. The Pattada is a newer knife in this vein and I can't wait until mine arrives. The "spyder-hole" is useful and utilitarian and all that, but man does it look forced and ugly on a lot of Spyderco knives. When it fits naturally into the design (ala the Chokwe) I don't mind it, but when the Spyderhole is forced into the design (Stretch, I'm looking at you) it stands out like a sore thumb (phrasing intended).

I realize I'm probably in the minority with my tastes on Spyderco knives, but I prefer the more sleek knives in their catalog. The Nilakka is hands down my favorite looking Spyderco, and its not even close. It is a such a simple, classic, and self-contained design. The Pattada is a newer knife in this vein and I can't wait until mine arrives. The "spyder-hole" is useful and utilitarian and all that, but man does it look forced and ugly on a lot of Spyderco knives. When it fits naturally into the design (ala the Chokwe) I don't mind it, but when the Spyderhole is forced into the design (Stretch, I'm looking at you) it stands out like a sore thumb (phrasing intended).

Agreed and you're on point. :)

That is, you can make the Spydiehole functional (say with handle cutouts and such) without obfuscating the aesthetics.

For some reason I've always kinda liked these 2..

20121024_135422.jpg

The Ulize is a big and slick kind of Police model I have. Unfortunately, it has been discontinued so I'd hurry to get one now if you want one.

C161G_L.jpg

I'm with the Deacon, the Persian is one really good looking Spydie! The stainless steel Police is a looker, too, IMO, and some of the Dragonfly's, eg hte carbon fibre one, Nishijin, or something. I do like the plain black PM 2, and the lightweight Manix 2 looks gorgeous.

Never tried it, but many people swear by adding a zip tie to make it "wave" out of your pocket (a la Emerson).

It works. You can give it a try... at the cost of a zip tie. Indeed, you can do it to any knife with a hole in the blade. I did it to a Victorinox Soldier when I was in Cairo for 9 months. Paired with a lanyard to keep it hanging out of my front pocket. it worked nicely (the Soldier doesn't have a pocket clip).

Mikel

Original Bob Lum tanto is by far the most beautiful Spyderco ever because it don't have those ugly hole... :D

888837P5270087.jpg

Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. What I find appealing is that Spyderco isn't afraid to take risks with their knife designs, from the ethnic series of knives to the collaborations with other knifemakers.

Here is one, that when I first saw it, I winced. It was only after holding it and looking at it more closely I realized it was a beautiful design. It has a very interesting background and story to it as well. Sprint run "Shabaria" in CF....

DSC05637.jpg

DSC05636.jpg

DSC05634.jpg

DSC05642.jpg

DSC05641.jpg

Here's a group shot of other Spyderco's (some of which have been mentioned already) which I consider to be beautiful as well...

DSC05624%20rotated.jpg

Cheers!

My ideas of beauty may vary wildly in comparison to the person next to me... but we're all here for similar reasons! :thumbup:

Knock on wood I may never go blind in my lifetime, but I know for a fact that beauty can be felt just as much as seen with the eye.

Quick sample of what I enjoy in my hand, and in my sight:
2015-12-12%2018.31.57_zpsgsoot4ir.jpg

2015-04-27%2018.39.14_zps2wuwl287.jpg

2015-10-17%2022.01.47_zpscddbm94n.jpg

2015-04-27%2018.14.51_zpsjwjft2xz.jpg

20160418_195921_zpstcwmisji.jpg

20160508_154949_zpspxpbz0e7.jpg

2015-10-27%2020.11.25_zpsmkp4b5jw.jpg

I can even have fun looking for beauty among the individual parts!
2015-04-02%2002.12.44_zpswvkexc4w.jpg

I wish the fixed blades didn't have the Spydie hole. I know it's the Spydie image, but that's one reason why I don't like it. Its sole purpose is to remind everyone its a Spyderco. It has no other function.

(There is at least one flipper where the hole is unnecessary. It ruins the blade for me.)

I love the Spydie hole when it serves to assist with opening, and like how the blade and handle shapes are often designed around the hole.

I wish the fixed blades didn't have the Spydie hole. I know it's the Spydie image, but that's one reason why I don't like it. Its sole purpose is to remind everyone its a Spyderco. It has no other function.

(There is at least one flipper where the hole is unnecessary. It ruins the blade for me.)

I love the Spydie hole when it serves to assist with opening, and like how the blade and handle shapes are often designed around the hole.

It's lighter, and fine tunes the balance and handling, lol. ;p :p

Back