Best M4 EDC knives

I don't know what the best ones are, but I've got a couple of Spyderco's in M4 and a ZT.
I know there's other makers that offer M4.
I've got a couple of fixed blades in M4 that are the best for me, don't know about everyone else.

I'll second the Spyderco Gayle Bradley 2 (even the 1 if you can nab one). Just a very well made, stout knife. The steel sharpens very nicely and cuts for miles. The lockbar access is a bit cramped, but that's easy to remedy (getting used to it takes a little time is all, or about 5 minutes to modify it to your liking).

Spyderco has a few that are splendid if you want folders, most designed by Gayle Bradley. The mini-grip or full grip are good from BM. If you can snag a native 5 that was exclusive to BHQ, that was a good one.

If you're looking for fixed blades, there are a few from Bark River, and you could probably get something from a custom maker, but I don't think there are too many out there. Vanadis 4 extra is becoming more popular and it is very close in performance. There have been a few small puukkos in both M4 and V4E that would make very good EDC's, if fixed blades are your flavor.

Spyderco GB 1 or 2, Mantra 1, BladeHQ Spyderco SFO’s (pm2, manix 2, native, etc), BRK Essential (some left in inventories, but no longer being made in m4)...

There isn’t a lot of production M4 out there. The aforementioned Gayle Bradley 2 and the Griptilian are the first two that come to mind. The Griptilian is one you’d have to build yourself unless you find a Ritter M4 model, and they aren’t cheap.

Blade HQ likes to use M4 and Jade G10 in their sprint runs. So that could be an option as well.

I've never handled the Gayle Bradleys CF so I can't comment on how it feels. I generally don't like CF.

Design wise, I like the PM2 best and it can be found on the secondary market but probably pricey, especially the sprint run/exclusive stuff.

Based on current production and availability, the BM Freek is probably my first choice. If you have a really big hand, the 810.

Gayle Bradley 1 is my EDC. It has been since first released and I can't see making a change. Works very well for things around the yard and shop. It holds an edge and it is a super cutting machine.

Also...these two DLC M4 beauties, "Exclusives from KnivesShipFree"...

Zero Tolerance: 0770CFM4
Benchmade Knives: 908BK-1501 Axis Stryker II

Gayle Bradley 1 is my EDC. It has been since first released and I can't see making a change. Works very well for things around the yard and shop. It holds an edge and it is a super cutting machine.
Way to go posting the interview !

One of my very favorite topics = M4 !
Here are some photos of The Boys :
Gayle Bradley One (natch ;)) = Very thin behind the edge partly because it is hollow ground. A knife with a quality heft to it with a capital Q and H. Before I got it and from just looking at photos I didn't think I would like it. The guys here enlightened me (applying dope slaps).
Final verdict : I love the knife. They are right !

Spyderco Para 2 = More fun to fidget than the GB. Has the weird assed alien green scales that people love or hate. I love the way it looks.
Because of the M4 and the lock this knife is probably the last knife I would ever give up. I was using it at work today. I have it with me at work EVERY DAY but not always in my pocket because I regularly buy knives and carry those in my pocket. When the tough jobs cutting abrasive material needs doing the other knives stand aside and let the big dog show 'em how it's done.

Spyderco Military = It's large and pretty light because of the partial liners; see the photo with the light shining through the handle. A very satisfying knife to own if you like four inches of blade length. I do ! A great pocket clip ! Nothing bad to say about it other than not as fun to fidget. I don't fidget but I just mean work the lock. I enjoy axis and compression locks more is all.
IMG_5163.jpg
IMG_5160.jpg
IMG_4336.jpg IMG_4340.jpg IMG_4683.JPG IMG_4409.JPG IMG_4873.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pictures. Never cared for those weird, alien style, see-thru glow-in-the-dark looking handles though. My first instinct is to get out my screwdriver, pull off the pocket clips, and give them a couple of coats of thin green lacquer.

I really like the M4 blades on those puppies.

PUCSB9y.jpg

Back