Best Milsurp Pack for the Money?

Looking for an external frame ruck pack, something a bit more heavy duty than the average internal frame pack. I was told that the ALICE packs are a proven warhorse, and yet others say there are more modern options when it comes to external framed packs. The large sized ALICE would be the largest capacity I would ever need. I heard of the MOLLE's as well but never checked them out up close.

Suggestions? Comments?

Alice gear was pretty popular a while back. Some loved it, some hated it. All depended on how it fit, no surprise. Problem is, there is not much adjustment, if any, so it either works or it doesn’t. Toughness was never questioned. Try some out if possible, maybe it’ll work for you.

Look up hunting pack, or game pack.
Large frame packs for hauling heavy loads.
Kelty makes a good one

The newer Molle II large rucksacks in UCP or OCP/Multicam are very comfortable to me. Stick with the foliage green or the tan frames as I heard the older black frames had issues with breaking rather easily, though, I cant confirm that because I never served. The Alice system is fantastic, especially if you get a few modern add-ons such as better shoulder straps with a sternum strap and better waist belt. Tactical Tailor and Tactical Assault Gear(TAG) used to make very good ALICE accessories. Both of those companies also made a modern version of the ALICE at a steeper price than surplus. When I was in my teens and early 20's, the medium ALICE was my go-to adventure bag. With army issue straps and belt, it went with me to the Appalachian trail for a nice weekend trip. Considering I didn't have the modern add-ons back then, it was still pretty comfortable with about 40lbs of gear in it.

Why do you need a more rugged pack? What do you plan on doing with it? Considering a fixed total weight (pack + cargo) the heavier the pack, the less cargo you will be able to carry.

The only thing modern climbing/backpaking packs do not tolerate well is fire, sparks, etc. Anything syntethic will get burnt though if you get an ember on them. Other than that or hauling trophies from the mountains (the external frame is handy in this situation) I think that an internal frame pack would be more comfortable to carry loaded.

Even if you want to stick to the cammo/black/tactical pattern (to each his own) you can still find some climbing packs in that color scheme.

Have a look at the Lowe Alpine Metanoia and see if it would suit you. One of the best packs out there for carrying capacity/weight/comfort combination.

Mikel

I was issued an alice pack a million years ago. It did its job but I think the USMC ILBE is the cats ass now. The pack fits me perfectly and is so comfortable. For the price it cant be beat and will last. Check one out. CD

Back